The 2nd Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Tools    

Following the typical tradition, here are my initial thoughts on the nominations:

Forbidden Planet (1956) - This was #18 on my list for the Sci-Fi Countdown, so of course I'm going to enjoy watching it again. I especially like those backdrops. I don't care how much cheaper CG is, more modern films need to use matte paintings!

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - Any film with more lovely painted backdrops is always welcome! I haven't seen this film in its entirety, but I'm looking forward to it.

Seconds (1966) - I probably should have watched this ages ago. It's on three of the site's lists, so anyone who likes chasing those completion percentages will get a little boost haha.

Liquid Sky (1982) - I kept stumbling across Liquid Sky when looking for interesting sci-fi films to watch in anticipation of this HoF, so I'm amused that it got nominated.

Videodrome (1983) - Long live the new flesh! I don't think I need to say much about this film. It was on my list for both the Sci-Fi and Horror Countdowns, and if no one has noticed yet, I really like Cronenberg's older films.

Aliens (1986) - Another film that kind of speaks for itself. I don't remember the last time I watched this (or the first film), so maybe I'll have an Aliens marathon sometime during the HoF. Yes, that includes Covenant, which I kind of liked despite the theatre and its patrons trying to sabotage the screening:
The power went out twice during the first half of the screening. A guy kept clearing his throat with this strange, incredibly loud growling sound. Another guy stood up halfway through during a quiet moment, said "I'm done with this" to no one in particular (he was there alone), and marched out. Despite all that, I had a pleasant time.
Gattaca (1997) - Like I've already mentioned in the thread, I was considering nominating this film myself before ed snatched it up. I haven't seen it in ages, and I think I only saw it in its entirety once. Hopefully I'll still like it when I rewatch it.

Minority Report (2002) - I liked this film well enough when it was new, and have seen it maybe once or twice on tv in the years since. It's also definitely due for a rewatch.

Déjà Vu (2006) - When I first saw the title of Raul's nomination, I didn't think I'd heard of it before. Then I googled it, and got a strong sense of Déjà Vu myself, haha. As soon as I turned on the trailer, I knew I'd seen the film before, but had just forgotten about it. That's nothing against this film, I just have really bad memory.

Timecrimes / Los Cronocrímenes (2007) - Like Liquid Sky, I kept seeing this film pop up, so I'm interested in checking it out. Two people attempted to nominate this film, so it's at least got a few fans here.

Coherence (2013) - This was another film that kept appearing on my quest for new sci-fi films to watch. It looks interesting, so I'm glad it was nominated.

Turbo Kid (2015) - This is not the kind of film I intended to nominate, but when I rewatched it the other day, I decided to go with it. I love any film with that Mad Max aesthetic, and both the regular comedy and the more horrific comedy moments (mostly to do with violence) work well for me. It embraces and celebrates many sci-fi tropes, while gently poking fun of them as well. It had a tiny budget of just under 60k, but every penny was clearly well spent.

Sometimes I really hate Netflix because I knew that Gattaca had been on there for a while and now I just discovered that it had been taken off

I feel your pain, bro. I don't know how many times I've seen a film keep popping up on Netflix, just for it to disappear when I finally decide I want to watch it.

I watched 'Videodrome' for the first time about a month ago and was mightily impressed. 'Coherence' is a personal indie sci-fi favourite of mine. And 'Gattaca' is one that I have intended to re-watch for a while. So this is going to be very enjoyable HoF for me

I don't know what to think about Turbo Kid but I expect to hate it.
No worries, it's definitely not going to appeal to a lot of people. On the plus side, it's only around an hour and a half long, so if you do end up hating it, at least you don't have to slog through a 3 hour film haha.

Well this Hall of Fame clearly has a theme...

Liquid Sky - didn't see it, would be excited but it's a Pahak nom and based on the trailer...it has potential

Turbo Kid - it's been on my watch list for a while might do a double feature with Liquid Sky

Robinson Crusoe on Mars - One of these days Citizen Rules is going to nominate a film that ends as strong as it starts. But this is a solid film and it'll be interesting to see how it pairs up with Forbidden Planet.

Timecrimes, Videodrome, Coherence - didn't really love or hate these the first time around but wouldn't mind a revisit as I think they all deserve a rewatch.

Gattaca - love it, I tend to lean on Andrew Nichol's work on a positive side.
Seconds - I recall being impressed with it the first time around interested in seeing how I feel about it the second time.

Minority Report, Deja Vu - Didn't really care much for either

Aliens - will likely run away with this as it's the obvious classic.

Awesome! I’ve only seen one of these films, my own nom Minority Report. Aliens I’ve seen bits of, and am excited to fully watch it.

The only ones I've seen are Videodrome and Minority Report. Quite a few here that I wanted to see though.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Forbidden Planet (1956) - Haven't seen this since I was a kid and not sure I saw it all the way through and it's always been on the back burner for watching again, so looking forward to this.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - Another I haven't seen since childhood so it'll be a brand new watch for me.

Seconds (1966) - This is unknown to me but the premise sounds intriguing.

Liquid Sky (1982) - IMDb's final line of story description states: "Darkly funny and thoroughly weird". Now, add to it that it's pahaK's nom and should be in for a very wild ride. And that's a very good thing.

Videodrome (1983) - Have not seen this since it came out on VHS and I was incredibly high EVERY SINGLE time I viewed it, so pretty curious to see how a sober brain enjoys it.

Aliens (1986) - "Game over, dude! Game over!"
BIG fan of this. Even have the Director's cut so I'll be enjoying the extra bits when I rewatch this.

Gattaca (1997) - Love the mood and setting of this. This is my nom and the only one that was a near nomination was Silent Running (1972) which I adored as a kid but didn't seem to hold up for me on a recent watch, so, I went with this.

Minority Report (2002) - Seen this a number of times and I do enjoy Philip K Dick based films. Looking forward to the rewatch.

Déjà Vu (2006) - Haven't seen this since it first came out so pretty happy to have a chance to rewatch.

Timecrimes / Los Cronocrímenes (2007) - Unknown to me, but happy to check out.

Coherence (2013) - Remember hearing about this but never took the opportunity to check it out, so, another welcomed new film.

Turbo Kid (2015) - Always enjoy Ironside and with this being a Cosmic nomination I should be in for a comedic treat.

This is QUITE the splendid, wide-ranging buffet of Sci-Fi -- GREAT CHOICES everyone!!!

Nice set of films. I'm glad to see at least a few that aren't well known. I'm lazy today so I just copied/pasted Cosmic's post but I will change the font color and my thoughts, of course!

Forbidden Planet (1956)
- I've seen this several times and I'll watch it again. I'm different than most MoFos in that I don't enjoy rewatching movies too many times in a row.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - My nom, it fits the kind of story telling I like it's personal and emotional at times. It's not about sci fi, it's not about action. It's a retelling of the classic novel
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.

Seconds (1966) -

.... I've been watching sci fis in the last week in prep for this HoF, so far nothing really jumped out at me...It would be kind of ironic if somebody nominates what I just watched
Ha, it came true! I just watched Seconds for the first time a few days ago. I'll do a full write up later. Right now I'll just say it's a very interesting film and a worthy nom.

Liquid Sky (1982) - Like Cosmic, I was googling for obscure and under-seen great sci fis...and Liquid Sky kept coming up. I know Joel said he likes this film and so I'm thrilled to see it nominated. The whole 80s vibe looks cool to me. I've not seen it before.

Videodrome (1983) - I've seen this a couple times, not a big fan though I can see how people can love it. I'll check it out again.

Aliens (1986)- I've only seen this once. I'm not really into the Aliens franchise, but a rewatch will be welcomed as it has been decades.

Gattaca (1997) - I've seen this for the Movie of the Month and really liked it. I did think it was very well done and stylish.

Minority Report (2002) - I'm glad to see a Tom Cruise sci-fi! I thought about nominating this myself. And/or several other of Cruises' sci fis. I've only seen it once and many years ago.

Déjà Vu (2006) - Haven't seen it, but just noticed it has
Jim Caviezel in it, so that's a plus.

Timecrimes (2007)- Not seen it, but time travel films are always cool.

Coherence (2013) - I tried watching this once and shut it off after 15 minutes, but of course I will watch the entire movie this time and who knows I might even love it.

Turbo Kid (2015) - Looks fun and Michael Ironside is the best! Glad to see an under-seen film included, that's always a big plus for me.

I was also thinking of nominating The World's End (2013) or Looper (2013) but in the end I just picked an all time fave.

I was also thinking of nominating The World's End (2013) or Looper (2013) but in the end I just picked an all time fave.
Both of those would have been cool, I've not seen either but have heard of Looper.

I watched and considered The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) with David Bowie. It would have paired well with Liquid Sky.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I said I was going to join this, then got really busy and kind of forgot about it. That's on me, my bad. If I had gotten mentioned, I would have 100 percent nominated a film.

Guess what though, the film I was going to nominate ended up nominated anyways. Coherence.

Suspect's Reviews

I said I was going to join this, then got really busy and kind of forgot about it. That's on me, my bad. If I had gotten mentioned, I would have 100 percent nominated a film.

Guess what though, the film I was going to nominate ended up nominated anyways. Coherence.

Well I know you haven't been in a Hall of Fame for a while but for the last few we've accepted late entry's. Maybe you can pick something else and join.

Well I know you haven't been in a Hall of Fame for a while but for the last few we've accepted late entry's. Maybe you can pick something else and join.
yep, there have been late entries and I'd be pretty cool with it as well.

Both of those would have been cool, I've not seen either but have heard of Looper.

I watched and considered The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) with David Bowie. It would have paired well with Liquid Sky.
Seen them both, enjoyed them both. World's End DID take a secondary viewing to really enjoy it and doing a rewatch of Looper was great to further enjoy the twists and the flow of it. Both would have been cool to see again but getting to see Videodrome some decades later works pretty d@mn cool as well.

If there was another film you were considering, you could join late with that one. Or if you want to participate and send a list without adding a new film, that's fine as well.

I definitely like Videodrome way more than either of those.

World's End DID take a secondary viewing to really enjoy it
I had a similar experience. I saw it by myself in theatres, but was really on the fence about it. I thought that my expectations for the film maybe got in the way a little. After some consideration, I went again a week later with one of my friends, and liked it a bit more. My friend absolutely hated it though, and didn't want to watch it a second time. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now if I had to watch it again.