MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Didn't post yesterday so short comments on the last four.

It's been quite a while since I've seen Repulsion (actually seen it twice). I remember it being quite tense and Deneuve being brilliant. Maybe I should have rewatched it for this but somehow it didn't come to mind even though I watched another Polanski. From the top of my head I'd say Repulsion is probably my favorite from him.

I don't think I've seen 28 Days Later... since it was in theaters. Wasn't blown away by it back then. The opening felt a bit cheap Day of the Triffids rip-off and I didn't like the turbo zombies. It's certainly a film I need to rewatch at some point because there was lots of good too.

Funny Games I didn't like at all. I hated the breaking of 4th wall and other gimmicks in it. Sure, it's been almost 20 years since I saw it but never felt any interest to revisit. Shaun of the Dead is another I don't like. Horror comedies just don't do it for me and I found it really boring.

Seen: 69/80

Crazy how long this has been going on, I have to admit. All the way back to November 2018 to have this happen.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've always found Evil Dead 2 the best of the trilogy and 28 Days Later... has an excellent opening and beginning. When I first saw Caligari 40 years ago, it looked like a different film - no music, no tinting, broken and scratched film, etc. I thought much less of it then than I do now. Today it's more like a Christmas present, but it still seems to me padded out. I realize it's only an hour, but that's the way I've always felt. I guess the art direction and twist ending blow some people's minds, so don't let me keep you from watching and enjoying it. I've warmed up to Repulsion over the years. At first, it seemed like it was too drawn-out for what it accomplished, and although it had some cool, disturbing scenes near the end, it just seemed too drawn out, meandering and unexplained. Now, I can accept the drabness as a contributing factor to the film's unique tone, and there are a few more frissons than I originally felt.
My List
1. Gremlins
9. Altered Siates
16. Wait Until Dark
17. Carrie
18. The Omen
22. Shaun of the Dead
24. Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78)
25. Diabolique

Had Funny Games as No.3 (Oh boy highest voter again!). The atmosphere is chilling, it has some interesting themes on the media's fetishistic view of violence, and it manages to be deeply upsetting without showing any violence itself. I'm probably getting the wrong message from the film, but I love f8cked up s3it that messes with my emotions.

Shaun of the Dead is an amazing comedy with amazing characters (And probably the most realistic depiction of a zombie apocalypse!). Was No.6 on my list.

1. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
3. Funny Games (1997)
4. The Witch (2015)
6. Shaun of the Dead
13. [REC]
14. Hereditary
15. Invasion of the body snatchers (1978)
16. Creep (2014)
17. The Wicker Man (1973)
18. Saw
21. Gremlins

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not a huge fan of Danny Boyle or zombie films. But '28 Days Later' was very very good. No. 12 in my list. It has perfect pacing and a great balance of that post apocalyptic nightmare scenario and a true terror feeling. Plus an amazing score by John Murphy.
I forgot to mention the music, I love the music.

Shaun of the Dead was my #10. I didn't quite get the hype the first time around, but on repeat viewings I found more and more to appreciate, especially in the visually inventive way it is filmed and all the little details. It's very funny and very British but despite all the fun it does have genuinely serious and horrible moments later on. Great comic cast too.

I had Shaun of the Dead as my twenty-third choice. Young Frankenstein is one of my two or three top comedies of all time, but I didn't include it for this list because I thought while a loving homage to the Whale classics and an uproarious spoof it is a comedy first and foremost. Nothing in Brooks' film is supposed to be truly scary or suspenseful. But Simon Pegg and company dipped more clearly into Horror elements. Not just as nods to the genre and to hang a plot on, but because they love Romero. The zombie elemement is mostly played straight so where the comedy comes from is that we follow two relentless goofballs and fu*kups who find themselves in the terrifying scenario and act like themselves instead of instantly becoming stalwart killing machines. It's still fart jokes between them, right up to the bloody end.

I was already hooked into "Spaced" before Shaun hit the cinemas, I had imported the R2 DVDs and watched them incessantly, so I had an idea of what I was going to be in store for when Edgar Wright, SImon Pegg, and Nick Frost aimed their sensibility at a target for a whole feature. But Shaun of the Dead delighted me even more than I had anticipated. For me it remains the strongest of what became the Cornetto Trilogy, though I love them all. I just had to make room for it on my list.

My remaining eight are top twenty material. Coolio.

Oh, and you've got red on you.

HOLDEN’S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
5. Get Out (#39)
6. The Blair Witch Project (#34)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
9. Possession (#33)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
22. Repulsion (#24)
23. Shaun of the Dead (#21)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I dunno. I'm at a loss now now that Repulsion has shown tbh.
I'm guessing Rosemary's Baby will appear as well now inside the top 20.

I hate to be a total douche over this, but the inclusion of Polanski has irreparably damaged my respect for this list.

I've not posted since Repulsion was revealed... but I'll stick with it and rep Nozzy for his hard work until #1 is revealed, but I can't post any more in this thread.
I'm out.
I didn’t include any Polanski movie on my list, mainly because I found Rosemary’s Baby to be overrated and not due to his criminal past.

To disregard the films he’s done is to disregard everyone else that has worked on them. A little too extreme for me. But I’m not going to argue against someone’s personal preference regarding this issue. Some people prefer to disregard the art from the man and it’s their right to do so.

To ignore the entire list because of it I think is a bit much. Ignore the man and his films not the list this community put together.

And as always @MovieMeditation overreacts.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rosemary's Baby is one of the more overrated movies of all time, in my opinion. People love it here though so I predict top 10.

I didn’t include any Polanski movie on my list, mainly because I found Rosemary’s Baby to be overrated and not due to his criminal past.

To disregard the films he’s done is to disregard everyone else that has worked on them. A little too extreme for me. But I’m not going to argue against someone’s personal preference regarding this issue. Some people prefer to disregard the art from the man and it’s their right to do so.

To ignore the entire list because of it I think is a bit much. Ignore the man and his films not the list this community put together.

And as always @MovieMeditation overreacts.
And for once @TheUsualSuspect sounds rational.

Best part about Shaun Of The Dead (2004), is that Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere watch the movie in their bedroom in Scream 4, right before their friend Olivia gets *attacked* Cannot tell a lie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivia.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	53758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivia2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	53759  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I didn't know that there were two different versions of Funny Games, but I didn't watch the one that I knew about because it didn't sound like my kind of movie, and I don't like Michael Pitt.

I watched Shaun Of The Dead for this countdown because I heard that it was funny, but I guess it's just not my kind of humor because I didn't like the movie as either a horror movie or a comedy.

Welcome to the human race...
Never would've guessed that a film as contentious as Funny Games would rank this highly, but I did revisit it a couple of months ago and am definitely not averse to it cracking the list even though I think it's more good than great.

Shaun of the Dead was my #11. Seeing it in theatres as a teen was a game-changing experience and catching it on TV recently has reminded me that I'll always have a soft spot for its uniquely British take on zombie carnage.

Funny Games I've only watched it once a long, long time ago. At the time it was a different type of horror film - one I wasn't used to so it hit me kind of hard. I would like to watch it again but I remember not feeling too well after seeing it. That makes it good enough for no. 22 on my list. My review on imdb goes into a bit more detail:
"Pretty unsettling stuff."

Unregistered User
Evil Dead 2 is great but didn't make my list. Looking forward to seeing where the original will place.
Dr Caligari almost made it but I ended up leaving it out. I watched it again recently and in hindsight, I should have included it. Superb imagery and plot.
Repulsion was my number 7 pick and on another day could have been higher. I found it really unsettling and claustrophobic. I love watching characters mental turmoil on film and this display is up there with the very best. (The best of all I'm hoping will win this countdown!) The best instalment of the Apartment trilogy hands down

28 Days Later I used to love but on recent rewatch it didn't really hold up that well for me.
Being a massive fan of all things home invasion, I couldn't leave Funny Games out. My introduction to Haneke actually made me feel guilty at the end. Brilliant! My number 10.

Shaun of The Dead is possibly my favourite horror comedy and one of my exceptions to the rule. Generally I find these don't work but this one does. Great soundtrack, Simon Pegg and a career best performance from Nick Frost. Still didn't make my list though.

I love watching characters mental turmoil on film and this display is up there with the very best. (The best of all I'm hoping will win this countdown!)
Honestly, I believe there are only two potential winners for this and I suppose we're rooting for different ones.

At this point I'm just a small speck in the rearview mirror. Too many films for me to catch up on, but it's nice to see several of my films starting to pop up on the countdown, especially the ones I'd lost hope in appearing, like Repulsion and The Blair Witch Project.

Repulsion was my #9. One of the most effective and terrifying examinations of psychosis that I've seen. Deneuve is great in the lead role, at times vacant, vulnerable, violent; a ticking time bomb of mental madness. The cinematography is exquisite (and it's even more impressive when you factor in the restrictive setting). The use of sound (or lack thereof) heightens the sense of paranoia and dread. I love all the surreal imagery, especially the iconic hallway with its molesting hands. There's a ton of symbolism and subtle hints to the possible cause of Deneuve's rapidly declining mindset. It's a film that's gotten stronger and scarier with every viewing. Psychological horror at its finest.

28 Days Later was my #13. A game-changer at the time, tossing out the stale, slow-shuffling zombies of yesteryear for a modernized, adrenalized, 2000's-Xtreme reimagining of Romero's undead creation. Boyle's kinetic direction perfectly complements the frenetic action. The opening scenes involving the hauntingly empty streets of London have never lost their potency. Everyone in the cast does a great job. I love the road trip feel and the emphasis on family that makes up the first half of the film. I know a lot of people don't care for the second half with the soldiers, but as someone who thinks that man will forever be the scariest monster, those sequences are arguably more frightening and intense than the rabid "infected."

The Blair Witch Project was my #14. My classmates swore at the time that it was real, and it's possible that I would've been naïve enough to believe that they were right, but fortunately I never watched the film until I was old enough to know better. (Although I did see the lesbian soft-core spoof, The Bare Wench Project, at an early age. Priorities, man!) Even with the is-it-real? mystique long since dead, The Blair Witch Project remains one of the scariest horror films I've seen. I've lived in rural areas most of my life and I've been lost in the woods on a few occasions (although thankfully never at night!), so for me the film expertly taps into that vulnerable, disoriented state. As far as I know, it's the first film to be entirely filmed in the found-footage style, and its influence continues to this day. A few weeks ago I watched the remake/sequel, Blair Witch, and thought it was god-awful, as it completely misunderstood what made the original so successful: ambiguity and the unseen.

Nosferatu was my #16. In general, I find tales of Dracula and his vampire underlings rather uninteresting, but the two versions of Nosferatu are the exception. You can have your Christopher Lee's and your Bela Lugosi's, your Anne Rice aristocrats and your Stephanie Meyer diamond-sparklers. Give me the bald, rat-fanged, bat-eared grotesquerie of Max Schreck and Klaus Kinski. I go back and forth on which version I prefer, 1922 or 1979. Kinski's eyes carry within them a reservoir of centuries-old pain and longing, but I find Max Schreck's appearance and performance far more frightening. Dude is straight nightmare fuel. Thank God I wasn't around in 1922 or I never would've slept again. The underseen 2000's meta-horror Shadow of the Vampire speculates that Schreck was the real thing, and it's easy to think that when you watch this eerie early-horror template. Nosferatu feels less like a studio film than a relic unearthed from some ancient tomb.

Shaun of the Dead was my #19. Unless I'm blanking on something, it's my favorite horror-comedy. Before zombies became oversaturated (and I'd argue that the success of this film and 28 Days Later, and, to a lesser extent, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake, had a lot to do with reigniting interest in zombies, resulting in the countless zombified takes on TV shows and movies over the past 15 years), I was a huge fan of the subgenre, often speculating what it would be like to live in such a world. Shaun of the Dead answers that question with great wit and aplomb, transporting people like myself who grew up on Romero and Resident Evil into zombie movie heaven. Edgar Wright pays homage to past entries in the genre that paved the way, parodying with respect, but his movie also works on its own as he provides his own unique take on the crowded genre. Tons of laughs, tons of clever gags, tons of gore, and you also get a side-helping of genuine pathos to go along with the disembowelments. A horror-comedy classic that never gets old.

My List So Far:

#1) Cannibal Holocaust
#2) The Devil's Rejects
#4) Peeping Tom
#9) Repulsion
#13) 28 Days Later
#14) The Blair Witch Project
#16) Nosferatu
#19) Shaun of the Dead
#20) The Last House on the Left
#25) Dead Heat (one-pointer)

Seen: 68/80

What the hell is it?

Looks like a shopping center. One of those big indoor malls.

What are they doing? Why do they come here?

Some kind of instinct, memory. What they used to do.
This was an important place in their lives.

Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
Runtime: 2 Hrs 7 Mins
Production Company: Laurel Group Inc.
Distributed by United Film Distribution Company
Production Budget: $1,500,000
Box Office: $55,000,000
Twelve Votes
196 Points (25, 22, 22, 21, 21, 18, 16, 14, 14, 13, 6, 4)
High Voter: @akatemple

Goblin's L'alba Dei Morti Viventi
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawn Of The Dead 20.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	53783  

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like the serendipity of this list, with Shaun of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead next to each other.

Dawn was my #13, really good zombie film.