No Time to Die (James Bond 25)

Tools    

Perhaps unsurprising that the lack of a title for the film drained all the interest out of the press conference. There might be a cast in place but a title will give the thing its character.

Perhaps unsurprising that the lack of a title for the film drained all the interest out of the press conference. There might be a cast in place but a title will give the thing its character.
The title just leaked

It’s “Bondhemian Rhapsody” and the climax will have Craig fight Malek to the sound of ‘Killer Queen’!

Killing Eve's Phoebe Waller Bridge is on the writing team I see. I was a bit worried about all the talk about 'women' and it's going to be turned into politically correct view of 'female characters/film for the me too movement' but seeing her stuff in Fleabag and Killing Eve, not too worried now that it will go far in that direction. I'm hoping with her view on 'violent women' we will get a really nasty villainess Bond GIRL in the new film.

Obviously coming up with a title that makes sense for the story will get more and more difficult. They don't have the luxury of having a title to start with and presumably don't want to use existing titles from any of the post-Fleming writers of Bond novels. My favourite of those titles incidentally is For Special Services.

Skyfall was an excellent title I think. Spectre was just convenient .

One actual Fleming title that hasn't been used yet is Risico, although I notice that there was a Swedish short fan film by that name. They didn't let the grass grow.

Killing Eve's Phoebe Waller Bridge is on the writing team I see. I was a bit worried about all the talk about 'women' and it's going to be turned into politically correct view of 'female characters/film for the me too movement' but seeing her stuff in Fleabag and Killing Eve, not too worried now that it will go far in that direction. I'm hoping with her view on 'violent women' we will get a really nasty villainess Bond GIRL in the new film.

I'm in the UK and there's a fairly regular drip feed of media opinions about how great this writer and actor is. When, like me, you don't know her or the productions, that can be very annoying.

They were overstating the lack of female main villains last night actually, forgetting Elektra King.

Welcome to the human race...
I would think that having only one film out of twenty-four feature a female main villain (and twenty years ago on top of that) definitely qualifies as having a lack of them.

I think Rosa Klebb in From Russia with Love was mentioned but Elektra King wasn't (fair enough we're not supposed to know she's the Big Bad going into the film). I think it's pretty good that there's been at least one, more contemporary, main female villain.

What i think is that i really enjoyed daniel craig as bond, he s a great actor , but i really think we need a funnier approach and a dark skin actor to replace him, it s a shame not many actors would fit the role like roger moore, timothy dalton and pierce brosnan did, but we need the impossible gadgets , exotic locals to get back, The spy who loved me anyone??

I think Rosa Klebb in From Russia with Love was mentioned but Elektra King wasn't (fair enough we're not supposed to know she's the Big Bad going into the film). I think it's pretty good that there's been at least one, more contemporary, main female villain.
I considered Rosa Klebb, though I figured she's a debatable example due to her being a subordinate to Blofeld who only really becomes the film's de facto Big Bad when Blofeld kills Kronsteen (who had more of a claim to Big Bad status than she did).

I considered Rosa Klebb, though I figured she's a debatable example due to her being a subordinate to Blofeld who only really becomes the film's de facto Big Bad when Blofeld kills Kronsteen (who had more of a claim to Big Bad status than she did).
Blofeld's always in the background in those early films so I think it's okay to class Klebb, Largo etc as the chief enemies.

Just read that A Reason to Die was the prospective title for this film but it was dropped as they felt it was weak. Actually I think it does sound like an authentic Bond title and I don't think it's bad at all.

I think they might be avoiding elaborate, oblique titles in the wake of Quantum of Solace - note how after that the films had blunt one-word titles referring to major plot elements like Skyfall or Spectre.

She's talked about Bond staying "true to his origins" so any shift will I suspect me more in how the story treats his nature. Really though I think the Craig Bond's are already clearly different to what we saw previously(besides maybe Goldeneye) when it comes to taking a more negative view of Bonds womanising and using of women to further his missions.

I'm guessing the main potential shift could well be how they treat Lea Seyduex's character. Rather than following the Bourne route and fridging her ASAP to setup a revenge plot I suspect it will be a role of a bit more substance.

Honestly the worst examples of "woke blockbusters" I think tend to be films that aren't really that political at all, just looking for a gimmicks to cover lazy writing.

I think they might be avoiding elaborate, oblique titles in the wake of Quantum of Solace - note how after that the films had blunt one-word titles referring to major plot elements like Skyfall or Spectre.
That's true but even they will start to get flat after a bit. Skyfall was a brilliant title, really brilliant I think. Risico 's the only genuine Fleming one that hasn't been used yet.

I'm guessing the main potential shift could well be how they treat Lea Seyduex's character. Rather than following the Bourne route and fridging her ASAP to setup a revenge plot I suspect it will be a role of a bit more substance.
Yes I hope that doesn't happen and she has an active role, considering that she's quite handy herself.

Yes I hope that doesn't happen and she has an active role, considering that she's quite handy herself.
Anyone reasonably mobile can be shown to be effective in terms of physical threat in a film of course but I think its another thing to be able to sell it as a character and she's one of the best actresses currently working at selling anger/threat IMHO.

Anyone reasonably mobile can be shown to be effective in terms of physical threat in a film of course but I think its another thing to be able to sell it as a character and she's one of the best actresses currently working at selling anger/threat IMHO.
Yeah, I haven't seen that film in proper sequence and in one sitting but what I gradually saw of her I liked very much.