Great performances from actors you loathe

Tools    

Harrison Ford Blade Runner easily one of my favourite movies but can’t stand him in anything else. Like most I love Star Wars but I don’t even think he’s great in that, yes I said it.

Klaus Kinski Aguirre Wrath of God Mesmerising in this but not my cup of tea at all really, great Werner Herzog movie nonetheless. You know when you can’t fathom another actor playing a role this is how I feel about him in Aguirre, the role is made for him.

Nicholas Cage Bad lieutenant: New Orleans Honestly I just think he’s a very average and limited actor, Lord of war is okay too I guess but I loathe him immensely. Only in movies where Cage is addicted to class A drugs are plausible for me.

I felt it only right to add a girl in this list, political correctness and all that. Jodie Foster Silence of the lambs, her face and voice annoy me, she is excellent in the lambs though. Kristen Stewart would be here too but she has only done truly awful movies, they’re kind of similar in looks I guess.

Ryan Gosling in Fracture. The only movie I like with him in it and he's absolutely terrific in that one.

Klaus Kinski Aguirre Wrath of God Mesmerising in this but not my cup of tea at all really, great Werner Herzog movie nonetheless. You know when you can’t fathom another actor playing a role this is how I feel about him in Aguirre, the role is made for him.

Nicholas Cage Bad lieutenant: New Orleans Honestly I just think he’s a very average and limited actor, Lord of war is okay too I guess but I loathe him immensely. Only in movies where Cage is addicted to class A drugs are plausible for me.
Yesterday I was watching a clip from the latter film where Cage does a Kinski spiral .

I felt it only right to add a girl in this list, political correctness and all that. Jodie Foster Silence of the lambs, her face and voice annoy me, she is excellent in the lambs though. Kristen Stewart would be here too but she has only done truly awful movies, they’re kind of similar in looks I guess.
Well it's ironic that they should play mother and daughter in Panic Room – apparently it was going to be Nicole Kidman originally. I like Foster in Silence of the Lambs too, but she's not an all-time favourite actor of mine.

Welcome to the human race...
Mark Wahlberg, Boogie Nights
James Woods, Videodrome
Sean Penn, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Although a loathsome individual, Jane Fonda was excellent as the aging diva, Brenda Morel, in Youth (2015). It starred Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel, Rachel Weisz, and Paul Dano.

I don't think I loathe any actor but I doubt I'd spend a single minute with Sean Penn in person if at all.
Anyway, he's mind-blowing in 21 Grams and really good in Milk.

I wouldn't use the word loathe either but I never was charmed by Shirley MacClaine - but she did a good job in Steel Magnolias, which is one of my favorite films.

The truth is in here
Can't tell much about loathe, only individual cases...

She did nothing for me in Valentine's Day and Little Fockers (I hated her in Little Fockers actually), but watching Sin City I wasn't even thinking about Jessica Alba. She completely disappeared into that role. She was also cute in Idle Hands.

Changed my mind on both Chris Pratt and Vincent D'Onofrio. Couldn't stand either of them in Jurassic World, but Law & Order: Criminal Intent gave me respect for D'Onofrio like never before. There is no other actor I could possibly imagine as the smart but eccentric Robert Goren. Now I love watching him in anything he's in. Chris Pratt was great in the Guardians Of The Galaxy movies, and pretty good in Passengers.

The truth is in here
Harrison Ford Blade Runner easily one of my favourite movies but can’t stand him in anything else. Like most I love Star Wars but I don’t even think he’s great in that, yes I said it.
I implore anyone who finds Ford one-note to watch Regarding Henry. That movie made me respect him a little bit extra, even though I already liked him.

Nicolas Cage Bad lieutenant: New Orleans Honestly I just think he’s a very average and limited actor, Lord of war is okay too I guess but I loathe him immensely. Only in movies where Cage is addicted to class A drugs are plausible for me.
I don't know how much you've seen with him, but Wild At Heart, Leaving Las Vegas and Face/Off are very classic Cage performances.

If you're looking for coked-up Cage though, Matchstick Men is not too far off.

I wouldn't use the word loathe either but I never was charmed by Shirley MacLaine - but she did a good job in Steel Magnolias, which is one of my favorite films.
She's brilliant in Bernie. Not charming in the least, but it's a bitterly funny and perfect depiction of a truly selfish and evil person.

Mark Wahlberg, Boogie Nights
Probably because he's effectively cast as a moron, to be fair I think he was arguably the best thing in The Departed along with Baldwin but that's not saying much.
James Woods, Videodrome
Moreso a lot of questionable career choices for me than actual bad performances, he had a brief flirtation with brilliant cinema with Videodrome and Once Upon A Time In America and then a lot of very average films, maybe I need to rewatch Salvador.
I don't know how much you've seen with him, but Wild At Heart, Leaving Las Vegas and Face/Off are very classic Cage performances.

If you're looking for coked-up Cage though, Matchstick Men is not too far off. .
Pretty much, you could add Rumble Fish, Raising Arizona, Vampires Kiss, Kickass and recently Mandy. Cage is probably one of the most hot and cold actors in Hollywood IMHO, if you stick him in a bland role he normally ends up overplaying it but if you allow him to cut loose he's quite unique.

Well it's ironic that they should play mother and daughter in Panic Room – apparently it was going to be Nicole Kidman originally. I like Foster in Silence of the Lambs too, but she's not an all-time favourite actor of mine.
Thats a great shout I never knew they played mother and daughter that’s so weird. I guess I’m not the only one who thinks they look alike then ahah.

Thats a great shout I never knew they played mother and daughter that’s so weird. I guess I’m not the only one who thinks they look alike then ahah.
Yeah, I wonder who was cast first ? Very clever casting to be sure.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
Alec Baldwin: Beetlejuice

Kristen Wiig: Bridesmaids and (if it counts because it's television) The Looney Tunes Show