Who is the last actor to blow you away with their performance?

Tools    

I share your admiration for Jack Lemmon, LL. He brought an uncommon intensity to every character he played, from his hilarious portrayal of Daphne, the female bass player in Some Like it Hot, to his anxiety filled Harry Stoner in a moral dilemma in Save the Tiger.

It's likely that Lemmon had that same intensity in his private life, which gave him the tools to become a magnificent actor. It was charming that in the sunset of his career one of his top goals was to make the cut into the final round of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament-- which he was never able to accomplish. but he entertained millions of fans each year with his comedy antics along with his professional partner.

~Doc

Beautifully said, @Gulfport Doc. I liked learning (from you ) that he was able to achieve a lifelong goal at a time in his life when many lose the passion for their dreams.

Says something about the man Doc. Intensity indeed, I wholeheartedly agree that characteristic was of the man himself- and unflinching perseverance.

I also get the feeling he was generous to his fellow actors. Not a stage hog, but one who helped everyone around him look good.

Just a pleasure to watch him.

Love this movie.

This particular actor is really not from the most recent time I've been blown away by an actor's performance. It's been some time since I became aware of his amazing talent. . But I''ve been 'saving up' this observation for quite some time, while looking for a place on mofo to 'put it.' So I think I'll put his name right here:

Jack Lemmon

I'd seen him in various roles, and certainly noticed him in one of my favorite comic movies, The Odd Couple. But I didn't really think of him as a great actor then. In fact, I really began to dislike Felix ( without realizing how very well Jack was doing his job there ) as a very irritating, whiny presence. And by the time Oscar threw the spaghetti against the wall, I was ready to throw Felix through it.

But when I realized Jack was truly gifted was when I saw him as Jack Godell in The China Symdrome. This is a movie that could have been just a dry quasi political doc, but with his presence, became a taut, gripping and eventually heart rending thriller. He played the part of a dedicated scientist, awakening to the ghastly realization that he is surrounded by greed, corruption and dangerous evil. Not only was this role a departure from his lighter comedic roles, he played it with grace, subtlety and authenticity. You felt you knew this guy - in fact, I have known similar men in the scientific fields, and Jack 'got it right' every step of the way.
Couldn't agree more...Lemmon was brilliant in The China Syndrome

Somebody who I'm really taken aback by in retrospect is Ronald Lacey. If I say he played the Gestapo agent in Raiders of the Lost Ark you'll probably picture him straight away.

I already knew he played the Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder II but hadn't dwelt significantly on how unrecognisable he was playing that part (you may even be astonished that it's the same bloke). Over the last few years I've seen him in a few more things and I just marvel at his ability to make his characters different each time; though the complete transformation into the Bishop is a real one-off, I'd have to say he's one of the best character actors I've seen, similar to Donald Pleasence.

Paul Giamatti in Sideways. Especially the scene when his ex-wife tells him she is pregnant. He is angry, jealous, upset, hurt that's it wasn't him but also happy for her, etc all at the same time and he tries to hide it.

I haven't seen him in Sideways but he's doing similarly great things in The Illusionist.

James McAvoy. Watchng him switch between his multiple personalities in both Split and Glass was a pleasure, particularly in Glass, where he switched rapidly.

Struggling to remember the last time I was blown by anyone tbh

Rachel Weisz in The Favourite

Giamatti was totally robbed of an Oscar nomination for Sideways...amazing performance.
Another heavy agreement. And Madsen played beautifully against him. An unlikely pair made convincing by the top pro acting.

Sideways is one of my favorite because it fuses a semi sophisticated drama with an almost teen romp mentality. Kind of french farce style. Such a rare commodity in american films these days.

This particular actor is really not from the most recent time I've been blown away by an actor's performance. It's been some time since I became aware of his amazing talent. . But I''ve been 'saving up' this observation for quite some time, while looking for a place on mofo to 'put it.' So I think I'll put his name right here:

Jack Lemmon

I'd seen him in various roles, and certainly noticed him in one of my favorite comic movies, The Odd Couple. But I didn't really think of him as a great actor then. In fact, I really began to dislike Felix ( without realizing how very well Jack was doing his job there ) as a very irritating, whiny presence. And by the time Oscar threw the spaghetti against the wall, I was ready to throw Felix through it.

But when I realized Jack was truly gifted was when I saw him as Jack Godell in The China Syndrome. This is a movie that could have been just a dry quasi political doc, but with his presence, became a taut, gripping and eventually heart rending thriller. He played the part of a dedicated scientist, awakening to the ghastly realization that he is surrounded by greed, corruption and dangerous evil. Not only was this role a departure from his lighter comedic roles, he played it with grace, subtlety and authenticity. You felt you knew this guy - in fact, I have known similar men in the scientific fields, and Jack 'got it right' every step of the way.
I totally agree with you regarding Lemmon's performance in The China Syndrome...it should have won him a third Oscar. Another Lemmon performance that blew me away that a lot of people don't talk about it is in Glengarry Glen Ross...everybody talks about Pacino and Baldwin, but I think Lemmon's performance is the best one in the film.

Agree about GGR. Another one of Lemmon’s great performances was in Days of Wine & Roses

Lupita nyongo for US