Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks this movie deserves the Best Picture Oscar it won...Mary Tyler Moore also got my vote for Best Actress over Sissy Spacek, another opinion on which I think I stand alone. Robert Redford's direction is flawless as is the performance of Timothy Hutton as the tortured Conrad. Also, Donald Sutherland was totally robbed of a nomination.

I'm not sure who would poo poo over this film winning best picture, but if it's a lot of people then all I can say is that people are generally not very emotionally intelligent.

I'm not sure who would poo poo over this film winning best picture, but if it's a lot of people then all I can say is that people are generally not very emotionally intelligent.
Most people here think that Raging Bull should have won that award.

Hagazussa (2017)

An odd German horror (or horroresque at least) film that has some resemblance to The VVitch but is much slower and lacks coherent story. It builds an oppressive atmosphere with images and sound almost forgetting the narrative completely. Maybe I just didn't get it or then there's nothing to really get. Anyways, it's definitely not bad if you're into slow, weird and depressing films.

(maybe even .5 more)

Most people here think that Raging Bull should have won that award.
Oh, please. The 3 times I've tried to watch RB I was bored silly. That's just me but I dont think it was MS's finest hour. Very well made film, but just not interesting to me personally.

The Mule (2018)

Went into this apprehensively, glad to say didn't read any reviews. I really bought into the generation gap and Clints performance. Hope he is around to make more, his acting was unfussy and tender at moments.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's a really good film. It reminded me a bit of 'Pariah', a Dee Rees film which you might enjoy seeing as you liked The Fits.
Pariah has been on my to-watch list forever, but it doesn't seem to be out on dvd or streaming where I live.

Re-watched over the weekend:

One of Bette's best performances and Barbara Hershey has never been more beautiful onscreen..the first botox-lips ever to appear in a movie and they totally work.

This movie is as cute as a button...Sally Field and Jeff Bridges are absolutely adorable.

DiCaprio's dazzling performance makes this one worth the price of admission alone.

3rd re-watch...this movie just gets better every time I watch it...understand Rami Malek's Oscar more with each re-watch...love the scene where they construct the title tune and "We Will Rock You". Also love the press conference scene near the end of the film.

Welcome to the human race...
True Lies -

I'm starting to think the real reason Total Recall is one of the best Arnold movies is because it couches the craziness of your typical Arnold movie in its maybe-a-dream framework whereas this one uncritically runs with said craziness, which arguably makes it suffer as a result.

Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer, 2018)

A bit long in the tooth. I did like the first 1/3rd of the film where we meet a young Freddie Mercury and learn of family origins and of his chance encounter that brought him from airport luggage handler to lead singer of one of the biggest rock bands of all time. But I couldn't help but think that Rami Malek would have made a great Mick Jagger. In fact I kept seeing Mick in the early part of the film and not Freddie. But once the film progressed to where Mercury gets his trademark short hair and mustache look, he seemed more like the real deal.

IMO they overdid the prosthetic choppers. Yeah I know Freddie Mercury had an overbite but the prosthetic teeth looked fake to me and distracted me quite a bit. Even worse I started noticing that the actor had problems wearing them as in some scenes he would roll his upper lip down as if the fake teeth where bugging him. That didn't appear to be part of the acting either, but a naturalistic response by the actor to those huge choppers.

I have to say that I got bored in the middle of the film when it relied more on montage stage performances, than character/story building scenes. That felt like lazy film making. Though the Live Aid scenes that came at the end, did make up for some of the lackluster script...I got to believe the real Freddie Mercury had a BIG story to tell, sadly we only got a glimpse of that story here in what might be described as movie-making-by-the-numbers.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	53474  

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

Pretty mindless stuff to watch on a bank holiday, the looking at a computer screen wasn't quite as off putting as I'd have thought. 5/10

Both excellent movies.