Hellboy Reboot

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Still looks like ass, but there's a good chance I'll see it anyway.

It is genuinely surprising that such a high-profile franchise blockbuster would end up with such a harsh rating, plus I question just what it's done to go beyond MA (especially since it's usually the super-f*cked-up violence from a film like The House That Jack Built that earns R ratings instead of what I presume will be the fun fantasy violence of Hellboy). I definitely remember watching Overlord and asking myself what exactly pushed it into R territory.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
It is genuinely surprising that such a high-profile franchise blockbuster would end up with such a harsh rating, plus I question just what it's done to go beyond MA (especially since it's usually the super-f*cked-up violence from a film like The House That Jack Built that earns R ratings instead of what I presume will be the fun fantasy violence of Hellboy). I definitely remember watching Overlord and asking myself what exactly pushed it into R territory.
Yea it’s bizarre. Really want to know what is pushing it over MA but not going to see it at the cinema lol.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Looks like those reviews are proving everybody wrong...

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Looks like those reviews are proving everybody wrong...
Proving who wrong? It currently sits at an astonishing 12% on Rottentomatoes. 31 on MetaCritic and an ugly 5.7 on IMDB. People had some hopes and dreams but I was under the impression a lot of people were in the "this will suck" camp.

Suspect's Reviews

... is the best I can figure to imply sarcasm.

In light of all the "response", most of the ones I've read say Harbour is great. That's good enough for me. The GDT movies were miles from perfect.

It doesn't help that he's buried under some really stiff makeup and tends to sound like Joe from Family Guy when he yells (which is a lot). The GDT movies had their flaws, but they still looked and felt better than this.

Regarding the aforementioned R18+ rating, yeah, I'd say there are quite a few instances where it's merited (the main one that stands out is a Bone Tomahawk-esque scene where a bystander is graphically split down the middle).

Well, it bombed. $12M is drastically lower than their lowest expectations.

Should have just finished the trilogy.

Well, for a $50 mil budget, bomb might be a little harsh.

Let's fire up the internet mob and go after GDT! He killed the original because he couldn't get another $100 mil budget for a niche movie. If anything, everyone should say how lucky they were to get a sequel in the first place.

I think they already say that, which only emphasises the bad luck of not getting another sequel. In any case, it's still hard to get riled up at the guy who proved not once but twice that he gave a sh*t about doing something worthwhile with the material instead of grinding out some easy schlock.

Well, for a $50 mil budget, bomb might be a little harsh.

Let's fire up the internet mob and go after GDT! He killed the original because he couldn't get another $100 mil budget for a niche movie. If anything, everyone should say how lucky they were to get a sequel in the first place.
Include marketing and we'll see how it does. Maybe it will do better overseas.

I think they already say that, which only emphasises the bad luck of not getting another sequel. In any case, it's still hard to get riled up at the guy who proved not once but twice that he gave a sh*t about doing something worthwhile with the material instead of grinding out some easy schlock.

I enjoyed the GDT movies, but maybe these movies weren't suppose to have that much thrown at them to begin with. Is a faithful Hellboy suppose to get the flowery-ornate-steampunk treatment?

I don't see anything wrong with the schlockyness(?) of Millar's treatment. The "giant" battle had me grinning in light of how it cheesy and cheap it looked. There were a couple of other moments that really got me laughing. Capt Marvel and it's infinite polish not only bored me to sleep, but was one of the most uninteresting movies I have seen in recent times.

Hellboy was cheap looking and unremarkable, but a fun time.

I said "something worthwhile with the material", not "faithful". The concepts are mutually exclusive.

In any case, my problem with nu-Hellboy is that it was generally empty enough that it adversely affected even the most fun parts of the indulgent carnage - lots of dead air ends up making the high points feel like too little too late. The more I think about it, the more this feels like someone made an R-rated version of the Tom Cruise Mummy movie.

I said "something worthwhile with the material", not "faithful". The concepts are mutually exclusive.

In any case, my problem with nu-Hellboy is that it was generally empty enough that it adversely affected even the most fun parts of the indulgent carnage - lots of dead air ends up making the high points feel like too little too late. The more I think about it, the more this feels like someone made an R-rated version of the Tom Cruise Mummy movie.
Ouch, that hurts.

I was rooting for Marshall to have a hit on his hands, first big studio production. I guess he'll go back to tv for a bit.

eek I always see David Harbour as that guy from A Walk Among The Tombstones … that movie was so ****ing disturbing. I caught him in something else later, I cant remember what which proves my point

I guess redded up, I may be okay with this one
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.