Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Glass

Wow what an absolute load of ****, weird and pathetic... what you do when all your movies get succesivly worse and panned by critics and moviegoers alike.. try to latch on to an old success and the current jazz ie superheros ... there is so much meaningless froth in this movie about superheros that is just so ****ing puddled... yes I will cocnced that McAvoy and the hoard was the best thing about this movie and saved it from being an absolute discrace.. M. Night Shyamalan is his own Sycophant, a total and utter pleb. Ha!

for the hoard, **** all else
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Aquaman

I don't really know what to say about Aquaman, a terrifically formulaic movie that gives us the most condensed origin stories ever given and spoon feeds us sentiment that doesn't resonate because is bereft of any originality, heart or soul, alright.

Don't Look Now (1973)

Watched this due to its appearance on top-100 Horror countdown. My immediate reaction has been "is that it?" but we'll see if it grows on me before I get a proper review done. At this moment I'd say the finale was disappointing and the whole film just feels like a collection of non-related and unfulfilled implications. Acting is good though and Venice is always beautiful.

(subject to change)

What Goes Up (2009)

A real curio- set in 1986 Steve Coogan plays a reporter who is sent to a small town to do a piece on the Challenger mission and befriends a group of teenagers that his college friend (who just killed himself) taught. Hilary Duff and Josh Peck are in it, obviously keen to shed the Disney/children’s TV connection. An incredibly downbeat film but moving central performance from Coogan, even when the plot points become outrageous. The whole message of the film is life doesn’t make any sense so it may be quite apt that the movie doesn’t.

Don't Look Now (1973)

Watched this due to its appearance on top-100 Horror countdown. My immediate reaction has been "is that it?" but we'll see if it grows on me before I get a proper review done. At this moment I'd say the finale was disappointing and the whole film just feels like a collection of non-related and unfulfilled implications. Acting is good though and Venice is always beautiful.

(subject to change)
I think you could say that the idea is better than the realisation. I can't really say I enjoyed it much myself but I have seen – and read – things with a similar concept that are really good.

Aquaman (2018)

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Hellboy (2019)

A Timex tells the same time a Hublot does.

Unregistered User

Tangerine (2015)

Excellent character study on a transgender sex worker, with a real indie feel to it. I keep seeing in listed as a comedy, which I really didn't pick up on but no big deal. Unbelievable to think that this was shot by iPhone!

Birds of Passage (2018)

Finally got the chance to see this, as part of Belfast Film Festival. Following Guerra's near perfect Embrace of The Serpent, I've been looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. This will/has draw comparisons to Scarface, Narcos, The Godfather and I've even heard The Sopranos linked too. The movie, beginning in 1960's rural Colombia, tells of the escalation of illegal drug trading between indigenous people.

Some of the images are hugely impressive and on the big screen it really was a memorable experience. The fact it was based on a true story makes it even better.

Recommended.

'Foxtrot' (2017)

Directed by Samuel Maoz

What a brilliant movie. Samuel Maoz has created a gem. As with his previous feature 'Lebanon', this movie is a political statement - this time about Israel and its’ perpetual state of war, and the fatigue and distress this places on a nation.

Lior Ashkenazi plays Michael - a father grieving for his son, and his performance is nothing short of mesmerizing. The way his facial mannerisms capture anguish and anxiety is just unreal.

The film is split into three distinct acts, all of which focus on the characters being trapped in some way, which is the whole point of the film - a nation is trapped and repeating the same mistakes over and over…….the futility of conflict. This is achieved by Giora Bejach's stunning cinematography, which includes overhead shots of mosaic floors, wide angled desert vistas, and cars lit up in spotlights. The movie is worth watching just for the way it looks. But there is also substance to back up the style.

I can’t recall too much music in the film – Maoz’ filmmaking just lets dialogue – (and also at some points the lack of dialogue) do the talking as it were, save for some moments describing the very title of the movie, and why it’s called what it’s called. The all round result is a movie which is so brilliantly crafted in every way that the 1h53m running time flies by.

The film was seen as controversial in Maoz’ homeland of Israel due to its apparent criticism of Israeli military forces. Maoz thankfully doesn’t seem to care. I can’t wait to see what he does next.
8.8/10

Mission impossible 6 - 9/10
Final destination 5 - 8/10

[REC] (2007)

For a change good found footage horror. There are some inherent flaws with the subgenre but [REC] manages to avoid most of the big issues. Especially liked the pacing which is faster than usual and the last 20 minutes or so are very cool.

Welcome to the human race...
Hellboy (2019) -

compared to Blade: Trinity and Pacific Rim: Uprising, this is arguably the best attempt to follow up a GDT franchise entry

The original concept of this movie was a lot different than the finished product...Vincente Minnelli was originally slated to direct, but Garland and Minnelli's marriage was deconstructing at the time and Garland's therapist recommended that they not work together at this time. Gene Kelly was originally signed to play Don Hewes, but broke his ankle (stories differ as to how) and Fred Astaire agreed to come out of retirement for the opportunity to work with Garland. The pairing was so successful that MGM attempted to pair them for two more films, but the personal hell that was Garland's life prevented that. This film is pretty much flawless though...go to you tube if you want to see a fantastic Garland solo that was cut before release called "Mr. Monotony." But this movie is my # 1 Easter tradition.

Nebraska (2013)

Quite liked this, Bruce Dern as an alcoholic chancer who just wants to escape his family past (with attending mental-memorial issues). Really kept me interested and the performances and story were on a par. Some fantastic shooting in B&W of the landscape too, even when broken down small town.

7/10