Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

How many times are we going to be watching A Quiet Place?

Silence (Pat Collins, 2012)

Quietly contemplative, shame about the paw dog though

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Doors -

at least it doesn't have a scene where Francis Ford Coppola plays a cynical record executive who says that nobody's ever going to hear The Doors in a movie about the Vietnam War
What are your thoughts on Kilmer's performance? I've yet to see the film, but I'm a fan of his and everyone thinks that this is pretty good.

Suspect's Reviews

Insidious (2010)

Back in the day I brushed this one aside because the plot didn't seem interesting. Not too long ago I realized it's by James Wan which put it back on my watchlist. Well, Wan is certainly capable of doing bad horror films too. Dreadfully boring and stupid.

Welcome to the human race...
What are your thoughts on Kilmer's performance? I've yet to see the film, but I'm a fan of his and everyone thinks that this is pretty good.
It rarely goes beyond passable rock-biopic impersonation, but he replicates Morrison's singing voice well enough and the on-stage freakouts are arguably the high points of the film. It will depend on your tolerance for Morrison, which I don't really have.

High Life -

Interstellar found dead on the edge of the universe

The Wife -2018

spoilers ahead !!!

I was looking forward to seeing this movie based on the Oscar buzz about Glenn Close's acting performance. And she could have even won based on that alone, though I found this film uneven at best. When it started I was thinking- at last- an unabashedly intellectual movie about intelligent and talented people. The theme is about a man who has won the Nobel prize for literature, and his family. This noble ( pardon the pun) premise soon devolved into a gothic family uber-drama , with an underpinning of a supposedly feminist viewpoint, which I for one just could not buy.

One begins to wonder, early on, why the writer' s (Jonathan Pryce). genteel wife (Glenn Close) with a helicopter presence, and his sullen son (Max Irons) , seem to do everything to dismiss and thwart the man's enjoyment of the prize. As the film unravels, we learn that the writer did not actually write the books he was receiving the prize for- although he may have germinated the initial ideas, it was his wife who did the heavy lifting - she was the writer. Not only that, he has been an adulterous husband all through the marriage . And bullied down the self confidence of their son, an aspiring writer, even as the wife tries to buoy the young man's ego.

Interlaced with the family dysfunction is the presence of an oily writer (Christian Slater) who wants to do a bio of the husband with a full reveal of his dastardly deeds.

The crux of why the wife winds up in this position of uncelebrated ghostwriter seems to stem from a scene when she, as a young lady, receives a warning from a female author- which is: don't bother to write, don' t bother to seek fame and excellence- it is after all the 1950s and the men control the publishing game and will never give you your due. It's fortunate for us that there were, in real life, some other women who did not buy into that mantra; like Harper Lee. Not to mention Emily Bronte, Mary Shelley, Edith Wharton etc.

(Btw I am in no way taking issue with the reality that earlier generations of women faced great challenges and obstacles, but if this film was making a case for the fortitude of a woman's harsh struggle, it didn't work for me. Norma Rae did a better job, or for that matter, Erin Brockovich)

For this viewer, there just seemed something false in how this movie played out.

And you may wonder, as the plot ensues- will this self contained, perfectly gracious woman ever let the simmering resentment she has for her husband seep through the cracks of her facade like smoldering lava?

Will she try to get even?

Ah yes. she does, she sure does; and although it may be a far cry and 30+ years from boiling a rabbit - Glenn Close sure knows how to get even with her man.

In short, she stages a temper tantrum that causes her husband to have a fatal heart attack on the day he receives the Nobel prize. That'll show him.

So what started out to be an enlightening film with thoughtful and passionate musings on the nature of genius and creativity , and multi dimensional characters that you don't often see explored onscreen - became, for this viewer, a sophomoric soap opera.

I gave an extra half star than I originally planned to for the performance of Glenn Close, which was quite powerful. Along with a nod to Christian Slater for his believable role as Satan's right hand man.

Unregistered User
American Animals (2018) -

22 July (2018) -

Paddleton (2019) -

Leaving Neverland (2019) -

The Greatest Showman (2017) -

Phoenix (2014) -
THAT ENDING SHOT!!!!

Umimachi Diary [Our Little Sister] (Hirokazu Koreeda, 2015)

Sisters are doin' it for themselves

Widows (2018)

Jurassic Park (1993)