Just dance, dance... or arduous choreography?

Tools    

Hi there everybody!

I have some questions regarding dance sequences in films. As you must have seen in various movies, there are times when characters engage in enchanting moves, be them couple dances or group ones. I've been wondering a lot:
  • For couple dances, did the actors have to practice a lot for filming, even if it's a popular move?
  • About traditional group dance (like where 2 romantic protagonists pass through a list of partners before having brief contact with each other, only to be parted some moments later), well, are there identical dances in real life? Or all of those in films have to be invented and carefully choreographed?
  • Regarding the prospect of us doing it. Can we just, like, walk up to a beautiful girl (or handsome guy... have to be politically correct these days), offer them a dance, get accepted, and then move in perfect or at least good harmony? IMO, the last part is the hard part, but I don't have a lot of dancing experience anyway. If it's possible, then what are the conditions for it? I mean, that actual dance must be very popular so everyone knows about it, and the moves must be pretty easy, right?

Thanks!

I'm a little confused by your post and am not even sure if you're serious, but ifyou are, I can assure you that dance onscreen is something that really can't be improvised and 99% of dance numbers you see in movies are very precisely choreographed.

Yep, I'm unhappy with my expression above, too. Sorry for my bad English, but I'm quite serious (and more curious)

Well, to provide some context, I'm wanting to learn dancing. Being a movie lover doesn't hurt, so I thought of going here and ask. What I want the most is to find out what kind of dance I should learn, so that I can express myself better in most kinds of social gathering. Being able to dance with a lot of people surely is another benefit! But what'd be the point of learning to dance if I can only do it with that particular practicing partner afterward, because no one else knows those unique set of moves?

Gideon's right... a dance scene will be practiced over and over, sometimes to the point it's physically painful for the people doing it.
It's like a fight scene. They practice it again and again until they get it absolutely perfect for the camera.

I think I know what the question is though.
The OP asking if it's possible to dance in real life like it is in movies.
Real life and movies are totally different.
Going back to what I said about fight scenes. In real life, a real fight will never look like a Jackie Chan sequence.
Dancing will never look like it does in the movies.

If you're thinking of getting into dancing, find a good school near you and just attend classes.
They can teach you the movements, balance and poise you need to be a good dancer... but don't expect to just walk up to a random girl in a club and the two of you suddenly throw out something that looks like Dirty Dancing.

There are a number of dance instruction videos, too. Often you can find them at the library. I suppose there are dance instruction videos posted on YouTube, too. But if you find a class, you're likely to find a partner or two who enjoys the style of dancing that does involve precise movements that create the kind of consistency you're speaking of.

The OP asking if it's possible to dance in real life like it is in movies.
Wow, you capture the gist of it beautifully! There's something more I'd like to know: what is the most popular type of partner dance that allows large or decent degree of improvisation?

I don't think there is a type, really, by definition. If the dance is improvised, how could it have a name, or a type? The lack of both is the whole idea.

You've already named it, already: improvised. No script.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think if you have a basic understanding of timing, rhythm, and the song being played you should be fine keeping things simple.

A simple foxtrot that you could use as a basic semi-formal 1-2-3-4 kinda pattern.

As with everything, practice makes perfect whether it's 3-point turns in a vehicle or not elbowing your partner in the ear on a dancefloor.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yes, dancing is super easy. Basically, what you do is this

you find someone you think is attractive. Start dancing however you want. What will happen is this: the both of you will move in perfect harmony, and it will be super easy.

Movies are real life, so it stands to reason that dancing is no different in the movies as it is in real life. The same thing.

The practice it takes for popular movies is none, for smaller budget films..maybe a little practice, but not much.

Everyone in real life has an editor that they cannot see. A guardian angel. This allows for a partner of one's choosing, as well as fast and flawless dance moves in harmony.

Joel is my guardian angel. He's (I assume he, but it's the interwebs so I really don't know for sure. besides, angels are invisible so it's not like I can see to know. hm. do angels even have genders??) always following me, erasing the silly things I do from the canvas of life. I'm grateful. OOPS! He just erased my typo! Cool. Thank you, Joel, or whatever your angelic name is that I may never comprehend.

Best dancing I've seen in a movie is probably Gaspar Noé's Climax. That was incredible.
I heard @Chypmunk has a rare edition laser disc of Dirty Dancing, complete with behind the scenes commentary from Swayze on how his character grew up and later became Dalton, of Roadhouse.

that guy!

Joel is my guardian angel. He's (I assume he, but it's the interwebs so I really don't know for sure. besides, angels are invisible so it's not like I can see to know. hm. do angels even have genders??) always following me, erasing the silly things I do from the canvas of life. I'm grateful. OOPS! He just erased my typo! Cool. Thank you, Joel, or whatever your angelic name is that I may never comprehend.
He's a girl who refuses to shave her legs. Or her face. Send help.

I heard @Chypmunk has a rare edition laser disc of Dirty Dancing, complete with behind the scenes commentary from Swayze on how his character grew up and later became Dalton, of Roadhouse.

that guy!

I think I'm the only non-Swayze fan.

Roadhouse was fun though....

that guy!
Afraid you need to clean your ears yin-wootf as you heard wrong ..... but to be candid, if I were to ever have a copy of Messy Jiggin' (or whatever it's called) it would definitely be the Laserdisc version - I do tend to use an outsize mug and dvd/bluray just don't make big enough coasters

I think I'm the only non-Swayze fan.

Roadhouse was fun though....

OMG I STARTED A RUMOR!!!
(he does not either)

@Yoda: I googled 'most popular dances' or something like that and some resulting articles suggest that tango and jazz have some degrees of improvisation...
BTW, since you're here, I'd like to ask whether there is any way to search, or filter, members' favorite movies? Other than having to go into each person's profile page manually.