Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lords of Chaos (2018)

Not bad retelling of the collective mania in Norway over some music (Black Metal), voilent incidents and church burnings.
Not my sort of funk but the story itself was enjoyable enough from a historical viewpoint. Emory Cohen was pretty mis-cast but Rory Culkin was believable. I did have a chuckle when "Euronomous" pointed out Vargs "Scorpions" patch with barely concealed hate

2.5/5

Bob Fosse's voyeuristic direction and Eric Roberts' bone-chilling performance that should have earned him an Oscar nomination are the main draws here...

The Natural (1984)

An old fashioned feel good movie, it came on TCM, and I couldn't turn it off, despite having seen it a number of times before.

The first rate production is a little schmaltzy, but includes good performances from a heavyweight cast, including Redford, Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, Kim Basinger, Wilford Brimley, Barbara Hershey, Robert Prosky, Joe Don Baker, and one of my particular favorites: Richard Farnsworth.

There is excellent cinematography and costuming. Most of it was shot in Buffalo, NY, and the settings were ideal. There is a surprisingly good orchestral score from Randy Newman which is almost Williams-esque.

The role of Roy Hobbs perfectly suits Robert Redford, and it ranks as one of his best characters. If you haven't seen it, or care for a reboot, The Natural is a modern nod to some of the great Hollywood films of the '40s and '50s.

~Doc

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Stan & Ollie
3.75/5
Lovely movie. Bit of a tug on the heart strings. Nothing terribly wrong with it but felt it was played very safe and missed its potential.

Chaplin
3.75/5
I chased Stan & Ollie with this and enjoyed it as well. I caught bits of it way back when but had forgotten most it. This movie had considerably more weight and context of how the world affected Chaplin and his movies, but still missed a few elements for me. For example, each segment of his life represented here mostly fell on the later effects rather than the progressive cause of whatever conflict presented. I mean, we entered his life at the end of each arc. I had a hard time caring as much as I could had I experienced what placed him in these conflicts to begin with. At least that's how it seemed to me.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Free Solo (2018, Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi)

That was insane!

Re-watch. Both so very good.

Rock music and action movie obsessed guy,
Friday (1995): 9/10
A great comedy which feels like just listening to an average day in the hood with 2 buddies. Great performances by Ice Cube, Chris Tucker, Tiny "Zeus" Lister, John Witherspoon, and Bernie Mac.

Stan & Ollie
3.75/5
Lovely movie. Bit of a tug on the heart strings. Nothing terribly wrong with it but felt it was played very safe and missed its potential.

Chaplin
3.75/5
I chased Stan & Ollie with this and enjoyed it as well. I caught bits of it way back when but had forgotten most it. This movie had considerably more weight and context of how the world affected Chaplin and his movies, but still missed a few elements for me. For example, each segment of his life represented here mostly fell on the later effects rather than the progressive cause of whatever conflict presented. I mean, we entered his life at the end of each arc. I had a hard time caring as much as I could had I experienced what placed him in these conflicts to begin with. At least that's how it seemed to me.
Your comments about Chaplin...put much better than I could in my review.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

What's this on? He was on the Machine's latest podcast. He's one of those guys that always been around, but I don't remember his moment.

He had a good thought about people with active imagination. These people can be cautious or scared, because they fully understand what could happen

What's this on? He was on the Machine's latest podcast. He's one of those guys that always been around, but I don't remember his moment.

He had a good thought about people with active imagination. These people can be cautious or scared, because they fully understand what could happen
I watched it online

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

The Natural (1984)

An old fashioned feel good movie, it came on TCM, and I couldn't turn it off, despite having seen it a number of times before.

The first rate production is a little schmaltzy, but includes good performances from a heavyweight cast, including Redford, Robert Duvall, Glenn Close, Kim Basinger, Wilford Brimley, Barbara Hershey, Robert Prosky, Joe Don Baker, and one of my particular favorites: Richard Farnsworth.

There is excellent cinematography and costuming. Most of it was shot in Buffalo, NY, and the settings were ideal. There is a surprisingly good orchestral score from Randy Newman which is almost Williams-esque.

The role of Roy Hobbs perfectly suits Robert Redford, and it ranks as one of his best characters. If you haven't seen it, or care for a reboot, The Natural is a modern nod to some of the great Hollywood films of the '40s and '50s.

~Doc
Never heard of this. On my list now.

Pride & Prejudice

Re-watch. Half good acting - Matthew M. & Keira Knightley. Half really bad acting - Carey Mulligan & the dreadful Brenda Blethyn. Fault of the director for not keeping a close eye on his cast & reining in their tendency to over-act.