Movie HALL of FAME Archives & Info

Tools    

That sounds like a cool idea, @Citizen Rules. Though maybe we could stretch it to being two members allowed to choose a decade so it's not just limited to 10 participants? I remember a HoF last year that had 16 or so people at the beginning (though a couple dropped out later).

Sometimes even regulars leave HoFs midway, so allowing space for over ten nominations will help with more variety in the films that can be ranked at the end, if there's enough interest.
Like Ed said good point, I wouldn't want to limit how many people could join. So maybe say all of the decades would have to be chosen before someone could choose a second movie from the same decade. Hope that makes sense

Just wanted to point out that I found the silent ear extremely funny
Ahh, yeah just my sense of humor (nah, actually just an example of my poor proof reading skills and or sloppy typing)

Weird is relative.
Like Ed said good point, I wouldn't want to limit how many people could join. So maybe say all of the decades would have to be chosen before someone could choose a second movie from the same decade. Hope that makes sense
Yeah, that would work.

I like eras for doing Comedy HoFs, but I don't think there's enough interest to do a bunch of them. So I'd go with a general Comedy HoF.

But if I was to do eras, I'd do it like this:
Silent Ear pre-(1930) yes I'm well aware that talkies started before 1930
1930s (the decade of the screwball comedy)
1940s (the decade of the comic greats Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, etc)
1950s (the decade of social awareness comedy)
1960s (the decade of wild and wacky comedy)
1970s (the decade of personal exploration comedy)
1980s (the decade of frat and teen type comedy)
1990s (the decade of, I'm running out of things to say! or maybe the decade of Jim Carrey)
2000s (the decade of crude shock horror)
2010-Present (the decade of political correct humor)

Yeah...I know each decade had ALL types of humor, that's just my take on what each decade reminds me of.

BUT that would be way too many comedy HoFs! and next to no one would join...So here's my idea if I host this:

Each member picks only 1 nom as usual, but they choose from one of those decades. Once a decade has been chosen by someone it then can't be chose by the next person. If there were 10 people, then there would only be 10 movies, and each decade would be represented.

What do you guys think?

10 Hall of Fames for a Genre is pretty crazy I think 4-5 is the most you could do.

Silent Era - 1940 (Classic)

1941 -1960 (Golden)

1961 -1980 (Silver)

1981 -1999 (Bronze)

2000 -Today (Modern)

This would also be good because it differentiates between Genre/Decade lists. By having "era's" you have a different metric and you can run other genres.

I didn't mean 10 different Comedy HoF, I mean only 1 Comedy Hof with people's movie noms coming from 1 of the decades.

I didn't mean 10 different Comedy HoF, I mean only 1 Comedy Hof with people movies from 1 of the decades.

Well you would be forcing people into choosing noms that they might not have any interest or inclination for. You'd also have to hope that you could get 10 people to participate and finish. Maybe if you gave people the option for multiple noms.

Well you would be forcing people into choosing noms that they might not have any interest or inclination for. You'd also have to hope that you could get 10 people to participate and finish. Maybe if you gave people the option for multiple noms.
Relax Siddon, we're just speculating or gabbing about random ideas (I.E. brain storming)...you know, just for fun. I already said twice IMO the way to go with a Comedy HoF is just to do it as all comedy movies allowed (by using the IMBD genre tags). I was just answering you as you brought up the idea of breaking it up into sections. And if you want to host a Comedy HoF, then you certainly could do it as you would like to do it.

I don't think putting restrictions on it is a good idea. It just makes things complicated for no good reason.

The previous Comedy HOF failed for two reasons: 1) One member had their own idea of what comedy was, and made an issue because one of the nominations didn't fit their personal definition and they didn't want to have to watch it 2) It had no deadline. It was a "watch these, write them up, and vote whenever you feel like it." That kind of flexibility might seem nice initially, but ultimately people lack initiative and put it off over and over or just plain forget.

Comedy and SFX, two things that age really fast in cinema land, so not interested in pre-1960's comedies..

Comedy all decades, or more modern decades I would have definitely joined..

Would anybody be interested in doing a Sports Movie Hall of Fame anytime in the near-ish future?
Yes, I would..

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
First image says reserved for 21th HoF.

I'm interested in either a Black & White HoF or Countdown to be honest.

Suspect's Reviews

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
First image says reserved for 21th HoF.

I'm interested in either a Black & White HoF or Countdown to be honest.
A B&W HoF does sound rather intriguing and it does span a larger portion of decades as well as early films.

when will the next HOF probably start ?
As you've seen, there's a Comedy Hall of Fame (1914-1951) accepting nominations.
And there may be others in the next month or so.
I will be Hosting the next General 19th Hall of Fame, most likely some time in early or mid May. Actual date pending.

I'm carrying this conversation about the sci-fi hall of fame over from the Pixar HoF, so as not the hijack that thread:

I'm not exactly great at judging overlaps with the HoF schedules, so if anyone had any suggestions as to when a good time to start the sci-fi one would be, I'd appreciate that.
I'd say right now or very soon is the perfect time. The 18th HoF will be over tonight, the Pixar HoF is just about done. The Comedy Hof just started but IMO two somewhat different HoFs can easily run at the same time. I know we've done that before.
@Siddon suggested May 4th, which I thought was equal parts amusing and appropriate. I could open the thread earlier that week (or even a full week in advance?), have nominations due on the 3rd, then we can be ready to start on the 4th.

For anyone who has previously expressed an interest in another sci-fi hall of fame, would that date work for you? I could start this weekend instead and forget about waiting for May 4th, if we really want to get the ball rolling ASAP. Alternatively, if everyone has too many commitments right now, I can delay the HoF a little longer. My schedule is pretty wide open haha.

...@Siddon suggested May 4th, which I thought was equal parts amusing and appropriate.
May 4th sounds good to me...I couldn't figure out why it was amusing and appropriate until I googled it: Star Wars Day right?

I could open the thread earlier that week (or even a full week in advance?), have nominations due on the 3rd, then we can be ready to start on the 4th.
Maybe a full week so the off-worlders have a chance to discover the HoF (up to you of course). It be great to get some new first timers to join, hopefully they do.

I'm carrying this conversation about the sci-fi hall of fame over from the Pixar HoF, so as not the hijack that thread:

@Siddon suggested May 4th, which I thought was equal parts amusing and appropriate. I could open the thread earlier that week (or even a full week in advance?), have nominations due on the 3rd, then we can be ready to start on the 4th.

For anyone who has previously expressed an interest in another sci-fi hall of fame, would that date work for you? I could start this weekend instead and forget about waiting for May 4th, if we really want to get the ball rolling ASAP. Alternatively, if everyone has too many commitments right now, I can delay the HoF a little longer. My schedule is pretty wide open haha.
Opening it OR making the due date for nominations on May 4th works both ways for me.
I was looking for somewhere in mid May to start the 19 HoF and will happily move it back to accommodate the Second Sci Fi HoF. However you'd like to set it up will work for me.