Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Land of Mine: 8.5/10.

This is a very intense film about German prisoners defusing mines on the western coast of Denmark after the WW II . One viewer on another board said it made "The Hurt Locker" look like a picnic.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Velvet Buzzsaw

The moment any of these characters spoke, I knew I didn't like them. I guess they fit into the egocentric pompous world of art and art criticism and I get the irony of me sitting here critiquing a piece of film art too. The thing about this movie is that it is not as clever as it thinks it is and Gilroy wants to satirize the art world, but he doesn't lean far enough one way or the other while he looks at it.

Full Review

Suspect's Reviews

This is a very intense film about German prisoners defusing mines on the western coast of Denmark after the WW II . One viewer on another board said it made "The Hurt Locker" look like a picnic.

I loved that film.

Unregistered User

Us (2019)

Its pretty rare that I get to see a horror film in the cinema so I'm actually still on a high after seeing it last night. Director Peele's first effort, Get Out, wasn't a film I particularly enjoyed the first time but after a rewatch, I can definitely call myself a fan, so much so that I was really excited to see this!

After reading up a bit about it last night and this morning, I can understand peoples complaints about the lack of explanation on a lot of points but for me, it didn't take the shine of the film at all. The acting is so strong, in particular Nyong'o who plays her part[s] to perfection! This includes the kids too, excellent performances all round, which is something that often goes missing in these types of films, oh and a huge shoutout to Moss, I'm glad she was more involved than I originally thought. I loved the use of music, I got 5 on it, NWA and the Beachboys scene were nothing short of sublime, I'll never hear these songs in the same way now!

Wanted to say more but I'm out of time. I enjoyed this even more than Get Out and more than likely will end up buying it on dvd. You can add my name to the list of Peele followers, cant wait to see what comes out next!

Welcome to the human race...
Shazam! -

possible hot take but I do think the DCEU's shift from grimdark to Fun With A Capital F is more of a lateral move than an upgrade

Solaris 1972

mark_f, called this movie exhausting and I totally agree with that.
Think I'd rather have a couple of drinks and a good philosophical conversation with Tarkovsky than watch this movie. This movie must be top five on the Zzzz-factor ratings list.

Glad to see love for this. Denmark can make great films but they are far in between. Lately though we’ve kinda hit a roll. The Guilty you have probably already seen, but if not you better!

Solaris 1972

mark_f, called this movie exhausting and I totally agree with that.
Think I'd rather have a couple of drinks and a good philosophical conversation with Tarkovsky than watch this movie. This movie must be top five on the Zzzz-factor ratings list.

Like the cover – I don't know whether the typeface for 'Solaris' matches the film's title card but it's good.

I enjoyed the remake and thought it was well made. I've seen some of the original film but found it difficult to concentrate on at the time.

Like the cover – I don't know whether the typeface for 'Solaris' matches the film's title card but it's good.

I enjoyed the remake and thought it was well made. I've seen some of the original film but found it difficult to concentrate on at the time.
Title card in the film is Russian times new 'roman' font.. think Criterion remade the cover-art. Re-watching the remake soon, I don't recommend this one, unless you're having trouble sleeping.

Title card in the film is Russian times new 'roman' font.. think Criterion remade the cover-art. Re-watching the remake soon, I don't recommend this one, unless you're having trouble sleeping.
That reminds me of Bernard Lodge saying that he "felt like using Times New Roman" when called upon to revamp his first Doctor Who logo (see below). I know which one I prefer . Luckily his 1970 one was a bit more crafted shall we say, and kept coming back into use over and over again.

When on the topic of Malcom McDowell...

A Clockwork Orange

Oh and I got around two Kubrick’s in two nights, so...

2001: A Space Odyssey

My cinephile soul feels almost overstimulated!

Dead & Buried (1981)

Did they dig the story from The Twilight Zone's trash bin? A pretty dumpster B-horror that fails to entertain, shock or scare. I don't feel stimulated at all.

Glad to see love for this. Denmark can make great films but they are far in between. Lately though we’ve kinda hit a roll. The Guilty you have probably already seen, but if not you better!
Yes I saw the Guilty. Really liked it. Intelligent single location stuff. Reminded me of the Scandi-Noir police thrillers. It was everything that 'Locke' should have been.

Us (2019)

Its pretty rare that I get to see a horror film in the cinema so I'm actually still on a high after seeing it last night. Director Peele's first effort, Get Out, wasn't a film I particularly enjoyed the first time but after a rewatch, I can definitely call myself a fan, so much so that I was really excited to see this!

After reading up a bit about it last night and this morning, I can understand peoples complaints about the lack of explanation on a lot of points but for me, it didn't take the shine of the film at all. The acting is so strong, in particular Nyong'o who plays her part[s] to perfection! This includes the kids too, excellent performances all round, which is something that often goes missing in these types of films, oh and a huge shoutout to Moss, I'm glad she was more involved than I originally thought. I loved the use of music, I got 5 on it, NWA and the Beachboys scene were nothing short of sublime, I'll never hear these songs in the same way now!

Wanted to say more but I'm out of time. I enjoyed this even more than Get Out and more than likely will end up buying it on dvd. You can add my name to the list of Peele followers, cant wait to see what comes out next!

Similar to my thoughts:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=59059

Yes I saw the Guilty. Really liked it. Intelligent single location stuff. Reminded me of the Scandi-Noir police thrillers. It was everything that 'Locke' should have been.
I wasn't a fan of Locke either and really thought it was missed potential. It should've been much better than it was. The Guilty didn't disappoint.