Horror/Scary movies for older kids.

Tools    

I was wanting to watch a horror film with my son recently and almost everything had something that prevented me from watching it with him or it was something we had already seen The scares and gore and horror aspects are not the problem it is more along the lines of sexual scenes or nudity.

He loves scary movies and has seen all the kid friendly stuff. I am looking for something a little in between. Some bad language is fine as long as it is not about rape, detailed sex, etc...

I am not looking for advice on how I should not be letting my kid watch anything he shouldn't. He is very smart and aware of what is real and what is not, I am just not comfortable with the sexual and nudity stuff and him watching that.

So if I were to describe something that fits the bill it would be:

Scary, suspenseful, no nudity at all, no sex scenes or detailed talk about sex. Animation is okay and so are older films.

If it is mainstream film in the last 5 years or so we have probably already seen it.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'd say look at older movies, especially pre 1960.

How about:
The Fly (1958)
House of Wax (1953) with Vincent Price
The Thing From Another World (1951)

Or any of the 1950s, 1960s Vincent Price horror movies

I just seen one the other day that would be good.
Blood and Lace (1971)
also
Piranha (1978) (I don't think there was nudity? maybe some toplessness, you might check IMDB to be sure)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dog Soldiers
The Ring
Paranormal Activity
The Mist
The Thing
Shutter Island
The Descent
REC
The Conjuring
The Changling
Devil
The Others
Session 9
30 Days of Night

IMDB has a section called “Parents Guide” that details violence, language, sex/nudity and describes scenes in detail. So that’s a good tool to use.

Entity (2012) may be obscure enough for you not to have seen it. Honeymoon (2014) is excellent.

I'm in the zone at the moment as I've been watching all the old BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas , plus related material.

Disney had some horror/suspense films for kids in the 1980s.

Dragonslayer.
The Watcher in the Woods
Something Wicked,this Way Comes.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks so much.

He asked about The Ring before so maybe that is a good option to start with. Also House of Wax - original.

He asked about The Ring before so maybe that is a good option to start with.
I saw the American version first, then the Japanese one. I preferred the former because I thought actually seeing what the ghost did to people was more shocking.

the one and only

A Nightmare on Elm Street
There is a sex scene in this movie with Tina.

Suspect's Reviews

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I put my nephew (13) through the entire Alien collection, The Thing, and Constantine though Constantine freaked him out with all the demons and hell content. Maybe something fun like Deep Rising. Clearly I lean more science fiction so YMMV lol.

An American Werewolf in London could be a fun popcorn flick.

Pandorum?

Cabin in the Woods was fun self-awareness. I'm sure there were sexual references giving a major plot point had to do with virginity so maybe that's not a good one. =/

I put my nephew (13) through the entire Alien collection, The Thing, and Constantine though Constantine freaked him out with all the demons and hell content. Maybe something fun like Deep Rising. Clearly I lean more science fiction so YMMV lol.

An American Werewolf in London could be a fun popcorn flick.

Pandorum?

Cabin in the Woods was fun self-awareness. I'm sure there were sexual references giving a major plot point had to do with virginity so maybe that's not a good one. =/
Nudity and sex in Cabin in the Woods. Nudity in American Werewolf too.

The Exorcist and Exorcism are the best horror movies for older kids.