Bumblebee's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Nice reviews. Glad to see some love for Lawless, great film.

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....

ANCHORMAN 2:
THE LEGEND CONTINUES
(2013)

Words can't quite explain how much excitement I felt when hearing that Will Ferrell and the rest of the original Anchorman cast were in talks for a sequel, let alone to confirm it. As an avid lover of the original comedy-hit, it was common place for me personally to endeavor to discover, read and tease myself for this upcoming blockbuster with a star-studded cast. And by the beard of Odin am I glad I did.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues picks up where our beloved news anchor left off in the original installment. With his wife, Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) continues to co-host alongside Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) until he finds himself fired at the hands of the News Station boss, while his beautiful wife is promoted to the prime time slot. Leaving his wife and ultimately giving her the choice of "take the job, or have me", Burgundy is brought to his knees when Corningstone takes her post as a news anchor above her relationship with the once beloved TV broadcaster. No less, when an offer arises from a 24-hour news station, seeking Burgundy, personally - he sets out to restore his former news team; bringing Brian Fantana, Champ Kind and of course, Brick Tamland back to the world of news.

There's not a moment of this film where I found myself checking the time or wanting the film to end. Anchorman 2 is perhaps the most hilariously fun film I've seen in years, and ultimately, while it doesn't hold onto as much heart as the first film had, more than makes up for the loss of the component with the gags and laughs. The theater I found myself in had respectful viewers, thankfully. All of which knew when to burst at the seams with laughter and stay quiet and absorb a scene unfolding. However, the thing which pays homage to the fans of the Anchorman series is the constant link between the original film and the new addition. Familiar faces resurface (as well as the addition of countless new cameos) and memorable scenes from the former are simply quadrupled with hilarity in this new addition. Anchorman 2 is, quite honestly, exactly what movie-goers need in this holiday season. A unwinding tale of characters we know and love with humor which is in some ways risky, and yet, handled with such elegance and perfection that at the best of times - it hardly seems that way at all.

It's hard to say that Anchorman's renowned for its "smart humor", and more so for its "slapstick-stupendousness", and while that is true still here, there are some moments where, in fact, the humor lies in observing whats going on all around the jokes taking place. The cast are just exceptional and are constantly in the zone of their given role; so much so, it's hard to remember that these actors and actresses aren't solely based in the Anchorman Universe. Performances all round are exactly what make Anchorman so great.

Director Adam McKay proved to masterfully navigate his way through the world of news anchors here, allowing for a story to carry itself with nice pace whilst not for a moment giving a second away when there was comedic potential. Every running moment of this film is crafted in a manner to push a story forward and be hilarious all at the same time. There's no denying, nothing was off-limits for McKay in this sequel. He was given a cast, told to make his mark with a hilarious sequel - and he pulled it off with ease. With that being said and the comedic value of this film being so great, without mentioning some of the shots used in this film would be neglecting some fantastic cinematography. For a comedy, Anchorman 2 proves to have some beautiful shots. Certain sequences in which special effects have their place are shot unbelievably well, and not to mention, a slow motion sequence in which capturing each and every moment of the characters involved is filmed so beautifully and almost artistically that it's hard to believe the shots don't belong somewhere else in a much more serious and story-central film; even a documentary in the way that the filming was orchestrated. Bizarre to say, and even harder to understand, but aspects I'm certain you will understand if you do grant yourself the pleasure of witnessing the Anchorman team in action once more.

As mentioned already, all of the cast are fantastic. Ferrell is exceptional as Burgundy as has come to be expected; the news anchor arguably being his most renowned and well known creation. Paul Rudd and David Koechner add their own feel to the film as they had before in the original; both hilarious in their own right and displaying beautiful understanding of their own characters. However, all credit goes to Steve Carell as Brick Tamland; the lovable and yet undeniably strange weatherman that makes the team complete. Carell proved his talent as Brick in the original and therefore, its clear that Ferrell and those more heavily involved in the creation of the sequel endeavored to give Brick as much to do as possible in the sequel - allowing Carell to shine like the star he is in such a role. There's no denying, he pulls the most laughs and grants audiences with perhaps some of the greatest moments in the film.

In conclusion, as a fan of Anchorman, I loved this trip back into the world of Ron Burgundy and his news team. The storyline had me more than engaged, but it's truly the comedy of Anchorman which really grabs audiences hook, line and sinker. An exceptional film with the ability to turn a frown upside down.

So what are you waiting for? Get on down to your nearest theater and give this one a watch. And don't forget to stay classy.

5/5

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....

ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL

Having seen the trailers and teasers play over and over, like a record on repeat - it almost felt like by the time "Alita: Battle Angel" hit theatres, audiences would be burnt out on the films appeal. The visuals looked fantastic. The world looked enthralling. The characters looked intriguing. And the cast looked powerful.

All of these thing played out to their full-most potential here; bar but a few exceptions. It did not feel exhausted and repetitive as had been presumed originally. Instead, it felt new, bright and full of promise and potential.

The visuals in this film are unbelievable. The immense attention to detail and realism put into even the most profound aspects of this film - aspects which would have ben forgiven for being 'fake-looking' - are not given such treatment, but instead, granted the same respect as the things that had to unequivocally 'look real' to draw in and ensure the attention and belief of its audience. Nothing is held back here. The world of "Alita: Battle Angel" feels as true to real as our own.

Where the world is beautiful and broad, Alita herself is impeccably crafted. The same can be said for many other 'enhanced' individuals which grace this film with their uncanny appearances. Alita is alive here. You feel for her and at times, dare to forget that she, while not absent of feelings or emotions, is in fact not human - but a machine. And this is the very idea and message which Director Robert Rodriguez is masterfully weaving and crafting; appealing to the humility and humanity of us all.

The battle scenes and action sequences in this film, much like every other visual medium to be presented here are phenomenal. Wide shots allow us to see all of the action we ever so much desire to be amidst, and close shots allow for a tight, personal, dangerous feeling when it is so required. None but praise can be said for such things.

However, the story of "Alita: Battle Angel" suffers from Hollywood's desperate need to sequel bait. It leaves stories with open and unsatisfying endings; something that even a film such as this falls a victim to. While the films story does leave much to be desired from the get-go, the ending detracts so much from the film that it leaves audiences almost wondering what the purpose of the film and world they sat through and became invested in was for to begin with. It's not done with respect or elegance, but rather, with brutish, clumsiness and a groan of Hollywood greed.

The ending feels cut off. As if it had been filmed and there had been another hour of this film sitting somewhere on the cutting room floor, but instead, was rolled up and placed away to drag out another two hour movie which might bring in another multi-million dollar opening week when the filmmakers decided it was time for another pay-check.

Such things can be said for a great many films which are far less entertaining and have had far less integrity and respect given to them by their creators, crew and cast. But for "Alita: Battle Angel", the story gripes and the obvious eagerness to spit out a sequel do not take away too severely from the visual spectacle of it all. If you're wanting a deep, multilayered, character driven film -- this will not quite hit the spot. But if you're ready to switch off, sit back and enjoy the visual spectacle of it all and appreciate the lightly dusted story which weaves its way into it all?

You might just like this one.