MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Is there a quick list of revealed movies somewhere? If so I am not seeing it - if not then no worries
It's now on the second post of the thread.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seen: 7/10

Looking over my list, I have a few directors showing up multiple times and two films from one series.

Suspect's Reviews

I didn't watch any of today's three movies because none of them sounded like movies that I would like.

However I did watch the first Friday the 13th movie, but none of the sequels.
Ditto. I haven't seen any of these last films either, but I did see the original Friday the 13th movie at the theater. I wasn't particular interested in it at the time and so never did watch any of the others in the series.

I didn't watch any of today's three movies because none of them sounded like movies that I would like.

However I did watch the first Friday the 13th movie, but none of the sequels.
You're not really a horror fan, if I read right? I can understand people who aren't into horror chasing down all this stuff...

I'm basically the type that makes a point to watch every horror that comes out that I can get my hands on. It's my favourite movie blanket genre. I try to see everything I can. It's a huge passion of mine and some I rewatch like they're comfort blankets for my psyche.

After a shaky start, things are fast improving. Dog Soldiers is one of the better werewolf movies and one of the more successful action/horror hybrids. Lively, spirited, entertaining. Love the design of the werewolves. I find Ginger Snaps a little overrated, but I have no issues with it appearing on the countdown. Pretty sure my enjoyment of the movie would be enhanced if I found Katharine Isabelle remotely attractive, but she does nothing for me despite usually being cast as a sex symbol. Always preferred the character and performance of Emily Perkins, which is probably why I prefer the sequel since Perkins is the lead in that film. Also wish the lycanthropy-as-puberty metaphor wasn't so blunt in Ginger Snaps.

Everyone seems to have a different favorite when it comes to the Friday the 13th series. Maybe because, unlike other iconic horror franchises, no particular entry is a standout of quality. I personally think Part VI: Jason Lives is the best, due to a heightened sense of self awareness, but I also know a lot of people who love The Final Chapter the most, and I detested that one (f**king bald Corey Feldman ). Part 3 is my second favorite of the series. I don't think it's a particularly good movie, but it's a lot of fun. I loved all the gimmicky 3-D (yo-yos! popcorn!). I loved the random biker gang that's thrown in just to up the body count. It's also the movie that introduced the iconic hockey mask, so to me it's the first time in the series that Jason really feels like Jason. It wouldn't be right to have a horror countdown without an appearance from one of the genre's biggest rock stars, so I'm happy that this made the countdown in case none of the other Friday the 13th movies made the cut.

I knew The Beyond would likely show at some point, so I made sure to watch it in preparation for the countdown. From my limited experience with Fulci (at this moment I've only seen seven of his films, my favorite being the extremely nihilistic spaghetti western, Four of the Apocalypse), I find his work to be beautifully ugly. For instance, in The Beyond, the introduction of a blind woman along a stretch of deserted highway is a gorgeous image, but Fulci would rather focus on oozing wounds and exploding heads. I've never seen a director linger so lovingly on images of violence, but it's a wonderful thing, and the gore in his films is regularly nasty and gooey. I'm fairly desensitized, but Fulci is capable of making me recoil in disgust, especially with his fetish for impaled eyeballs.

There's a scene in Fulci's House by the Cemetery of a man's hand being bitten by a bat. Despite the bat looking incredibly fake, Fulci sticks with the scene for a surprisingly long time, and all the panic and hysteria on screen had me feeling sweaty and panicky as a viewer. There's a similar scene in The Beyond involving a horde of spiders attacking and devouring a man's face. The effects are noticeably artificial, but due to how long the scene goes on, how close the camera zooms, and the sonic assault of gnawing pincers and crunching arachnid legs, I found myself squirming like crazy, anxious for the scene to end. In that sense, Fulci is like a diabolical hypnotist. His horror doesn't just assault the senses, it assaults the mind. A worm stitched together from subliminal nightmares crawling and feasting on your brain. The Beyond is a difficult movie to enjoy if you try to make sense of what's happening. Instead you just have to surrender to it. Let the violence wash over you. Float along the waves of Fulci's fever dream. I don't love The Beyond, but I see why others do, and I think it's a movie that will likely grow on me with repeated viewings.

The Last House On The Left (1972)
Runtime: 1 Hour 24 Mins (Uncut)
Production Company: Sean S. Cunningham Films
Distributed by Hallmark Releasing
Director: Wes Craven
Production Budget: $87,000
Box Office: $3,100,000
Four Votes (21, 18, 6, 5)
50 Points
High Voter: @Swan

Bold, powerful, and starkly realistic, this chilling cinematic debut of horror master Wes Craven (Scream) is a shocking journey into the heart of evil. Written and directed with "almost unbearable dramatic tension" (Chicago Sun-Times), The Last House On The Left will make you deadbolt your doors and frantically mutter "It's only a movie... it's only a movie!" Easy-going Mari Collingwood and her fun-loving friend Phyllis are on their way to a Bloodlust concert to celebrate Mari's 17th birthday when three escaped convicts kidnap and torture them. But Mari and Phyllis are fighters, and although they are drugged and beaten into unconsciousness, stuffed into a car trunk and driven into the woods for even more brutality, they are still alive... but for how long? -From the back of the DVD case.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheLastHouseOnTheLeft 90.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	52502  

The Devil's Backbone (2001)
Runtime: 1 Hour 48 Mins
Production Company: Canal+ España
Distributed by Sony Pictures Classic (International)
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Production Budget: $4,500,000
Box Office: $6,500,000
Six Votes (18, 11, 8, 6, 5, 4)
52 Points
High Voter: @ScarletLion

THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE is a stylish and unpredictable supernatural chiller from director Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Blade 2) which deftly mixes horror, suspense and dark humor. Twelve-year-old Carlos is the latest arrival to Santa Lucia School, an imposing stone building that shelters the orphans of the Republican militia and politicians during the last days of the Spanish Civil War. Carlos gradually uncovers the dark ties that bind the inhabitants of the school; hidden riches, sexual intrigue and the restless ghosts of a murdered student. Presented by Pedro and Agustin Almodóvar (All About My Mother) and starring Marisa Paredes (The Flower Of My Secret), Federico Luppi (Men With Guns), and Eduardo Noriega (Open Your Eyes), THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE is a richly atmospheric, genuinely thrilling ride. -From the back of the DVD case.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Devils Backbone 89.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	52503  

I still haven't gotten to that cult Craven classic of TLHOTL, but I know of its status. Gotta get around it at some point... I'm not surprised to see it here and I definitely think it should be on here.

Even though I had it on the lower part of my own list, Devil's Backbone is way too low. A really good creepy film with a fascinating story that isn't about just scares... or at least not merely the scares of ghosts and such. Good to see it on the list though! It was my 22.

I knew The Beyond would likely show at some point, so I made sure to watch it in preparation for the countdown. From my limited experience with Fulci (at this moment I've only seen seven of his films, my favorite being the extremely nihilistic spaghetti western, Four of the Apocalypse), I find his work to be beautifully ugly. For instance, in The Beyond, the introduction of a blind woman along a stretch of deserted highway is a gorgeous image, but Fulci would rather focus on oozing wounds and exploding heads. I've never seen a director linger so lovingly on images of violence, but it's a wonderful thing, and the gore in his films is regularly nasty and gooey. I'm fairly desensitized, but Fulci is capable of making me recoil in disgust, especially with his fetish for impaled eyeballs.

There's a scene in Fulci's House by the Cemetery of a man's hand being bitten by a bat. Despite the bat looking incredibly fake, Fulci sticks with the scene for a surprisingly long time, and all the panic and hysteria on screen had me feeling sweaty and panicky as a viewer. There's a similar scene in The Beyond involving a horde of spiders attacking and devouring a man's face. The effects are noticeably artificial, but due to how long the scene goes on, how close the camera zooms, and the sonic assault of gnawing pincers and crunching arachnid legs, I found myself squirming like crazy, anxious for the scene to end. In that sense, Fulci is like a diabolical hypnotist. His horror doesn't just assault the senses, it assaults the mind. A worm stitched together from subliminal nightmares crawling and feasting on your brain. The Beyond is a difficult movie to enjoy if you try to make sense of what's happening. Instead you just have to surrender to it. Let the violence wash over you. Float along the waves of Fulci's fever dream. I don't love The Beyond, but I see why others do, and I think it's a movie that will likely grow on me with repeated viewings.
I love Fulci's penchant for impaled eyeballs. I also LOVE House By The Cemetery.

Waiting to see where and if Candyman and people under the stairs will place

TLHOTL didn't make my list, but I think it would've it it had been a top 30. It's hands down my favourite slasher and revenge movie. I saw it when I was a teenager and it disturbed the hell out of me.

Backbone was #21 on my list. Beautiful cinematography.and atmosphere. Really poignant movie.

I know a lot of people these days aren't bothered by The Last House on the Left but it's one of the most disturbing movies I've ever seen. I must have been about 15 when I first saw it and it's one of the few DVDs I own. The remake is atrocious.

The Devil's Backbone is very good but it wasn't a contender for my list.

5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Before some people group me into the "don't like horror" camp, I really want to say I do. I've been watching horror films all my life and have rewatched most all multiple times.This includes The Last House on the Left which I still don't really like but I certainly think it's better than I originally thought and deserves a spot on MoFo List, even though The Virgin Spring deserves it more. The Devil's Backbone is a solid horror no matter what. Still none of mine on the list.

I don't like The Last House on the Left at all. The only disturbing thing in it for me was how such a bad film can be considered a classic. The Devil's Backbone is somewhat OK ghost story but like most of del Toro's films there's something that just doesn't click with me.