When do you think superhero films will die?

Tools    

Question that's been on my mind quite a bit recently

As long as the retards and ****wits that support this bull**** continue seeing them, they will never die.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

There are some films that many people don't realize are based on comics like "Road to Perdition" or "Ghost World." But you asked about superhero films. I think they will be around for a while because studios are looking for concepts with name recognition in hopes of securing major ticket sales. But the linking of multiple single character films may run its course.

Hard to say. It's a phenomenon to me because you have grown men buying the tickets. Seems like ever since Sayles, Mamet and Tarantino scripts started getting more exposure the studios spiced up their writing team against a backdrop of a winning formula that appeals to all ages. As silly as it is, and as empty as it often is - I can't hate on the concept as much as what actually ends up happening on screen. I stay away but am curious as to whether or not I'd enjoy some of them. By the time I find out, I believe superhero films will be dead.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Hopefully never. I love going to see Marvel Studios' flicks. I can enjoy them with my wife, and I can enjoy them with my little seven year old nephew. They're fun ways to spend two hours at the movies. I'm looking forward to Avengers Endgame and Captain Marvel, as well as Shazam, Dark Phoenix, and any others I'm missing.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think that in order to keep superhero movies fresh they need to really up their game now, since I keep seing same old same old, since The Avengers.

People say that The Dark Knight took the superhero genre to a whole new level, and if that's true, because of all the superhero movies we've had lately, which is a lot, I think we need another Dark Knight, that actually takes it to a new level to continue on.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Never, and guess what? Doesn't bother me at all.

I am in the camp of saying hopefully soon (maybe a little die off after the Avengers wrap up?), but they still pull in massive amounts of money, even when compared to their budget most of the time. I probably wouldn't be watching any of them if I didn't have a movie theater subscription.

When they stop making money, which might be never or at least not in our lifetimes.

I've avoided watching most of them myself since I'm not especially interested in Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff, but I do plan to watch Joker when it comes out.

Weird is relative.
Haven't seen Aquaman or Captain Marvel yet, but I do often watch most of the superhero movies... and some of the TV shows. I usually find I prefer the TV series because sometimes the showrunners aren't afraid to be more original or weird, or more R-rated. I'm tired of the whole "monstrous, giant villain wrecking stuff and planning to destroy the world" plotline, and maybe the TV series don't entirely deviate from that... but at least you might find more unexpected twists and deeper character development because there's more time to spend on the story than a 2.5 hour movie.

I tend to think Marvel's popularity over the last decade is rather different to a lot of the superhero films we'd seen previously. Really its not based nearly as much on previous popularity of their characters, the general public don't really know Ironman, Thor, Black Widow, etc and whilst Capt America is a bit better know he was considered rather cheesey.

What I think Marvel have done well is tie the popularity of rising stars to their franchise, if people want to see Downey Jnr or Chris Evan's in blockbuster they want to see them playing those characters. Its more akin to the way actors post Connery(and even he took awhile to build up his status outside of the role) ended up tied to Bond. So I think it might well be a case of waiting until you see a different generation of stars rise although of course Marvel are looking to carry on doing the same thing with the next generation.

Marvel does offer a good deal of variety between its films stylistically but still there is I think a general similarity when it comes to larger than life personas and a lot of comic dialog. Maybe a change will come when people tire of this and we saw see a shift towards something else? the early/mid 00's for example seemed to have more blockbusters that took themselves more seriously with less comedy. Again though it could be Marvel shift to star with any shifts in taste, one of their main strengths is how adaptable they are compared to a lot of franchises.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I think many forget another major part of these films. The technology finally exists to make them work. People have been wanting and trying to make these forever. For everybody that negs "superhero/comic" movies, enjoy your little indie that gets bankrolled by the cash-machine.

Cuz if Venom bought some exec a small Polynesian island, not in our lifetime.

I think many forget another major part of these films. The technology finally exists to make them work. People have been wanting and trying to make these forever. For everybody that negs "superhero/comic" movies, enjoy your little indie that gets bankrolled by the cash-machine.

Cuz if Venom bought some exec a small Polynesian island, not in our lifetime.
I don't know about this. I mean the first two Superman movies from 1978 and 1980, were great and beat a lot of the ones today. I would put Superman (1978), in my top ten superhero movies of all time, but something like Aquaman, or Spider-man: Homecoming, I found to be forgettable in comparison.

I don't know about this. I mean the first two Superman movies from 1978 and 1980, were great and beat a lot of the ones today. I would put Superman (1978), in my top ten superhero movies of all time, but something like Aquaman, or Spider-man: Homecoming, I found to be forgettable in comparison.
I agree with Ironpony, some of the original 'superhero films' were great like Superman 1 & II, The first couple Batman movies and films like that. But those films felt a lot different than the current crop of superhero films that to me seem more like a fantasy video game brought to the big screen. If people like them that's fine. People like eating deep friend pork rinds too, but no one ever said that was fine cuisine.

I think I like big video game fantasy effects as long as it has some of that older superhero magic. The first Iron Man, and the first The Avengers movie captured that well I think, but it hasn't been equaled since in my opinion.

Hopefully soon, but I doubt it as they're an outgrowth of the video gaming generation...
In what way are they that?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I agree with Ironpony, some of the original 'superhero films' were great like Superman 1 & II, The first couple Batman movies and films like that. But those films felt a lot different than the current crop of superhero films that to me seem more like a fantasy video game brought to the big screen. If people like them that's fine. People like eating deep friend pork rinds too, but no one ever said that was fine cuisine.
I don't think this is an open and shut case and the gulf between opinions may be wider than you think.

I was a baby when the CR Supes movies came out and I thought they sucked. At that age I realized how cheesy and fake it looked and how stilted all the stunts were. It did not approach anything close to my internal pre-adolescent criteria for what an imaginary character movie should be. Directly compare it to Star Wars' ability to create believability in this time period and it is even worse.

I'm saying that for a baseline. Take comics which carry almost the same weight as folklore and they are now capable to conceptualize and create with increasingly shrinking limitations.

Just saying. Old comic movies are the apples to today's GotG V.I oranges.