MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Love the title and subject matter of Neon Demon but have never seen it as I imaged it would be another intensely bloody slasher movie...so when you guys say it's boring or all style, does that mean I might like it? Seriously I wonder if I might?

I've not seen They Live but it looks like my kind of campy fun movie so I will check it out one of these day.

Congrats to all who had it on their list.

3. The House That Kevin Built - Another masterpiece, while it feels long the episodic nature really worked well for Von Trier this is my second favorite film behind Melancholia for me
never heard of it, is that a sequel ?

Didn’t like They Live much back when I watched it but I feel like I expected something different and it’s been so very long. I will definitely watch it again. It’s got a great concept to be sure.

I saw like 3/4 of Neon Demon but shut it off as I was bored and it was very underwhelming. Yes I know about the ending already as I had it spoiled to me but even that doesn’t make me wanna go watch it again. It just didn’t have enough to it imo.

It’s kind of weird seeing THTJB and Neon Demon on a Top 100 horror movies of all time but oh well, maybe I’m just weird...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I have seen They Live so I'm on the board!

I didn't mind the film, actually I would probably like it more the second time around, but kind of irks me that it made it with The Fog sitting at home.

The Host (2006)[/font]

A creature plunges from a bridge into the Han River emerging on its shores for a feeding frenzy upon onlookers. When a young girl is snatched in the melee, her family sets off to recover her from the monster that the government claims to be a host of an unidentified virus. Source: The back of the DVD case.
The first one from my list to show up.

They Live (1988) - Can't recall a time I had it on and didn't have a good time. The bearded hacker guy who interrupts television transmissions to broadcast his insurgency out of a rundown backroom, those are the scenes that come to me. Didn't vote or think of it much for this, more an enjoyable movie with action at the forefront and I'd love to get into some more focused horror material, but it's a fun movie to see.

The Fog (1980) - Carpenter's first 80s film about a coastal town covered in a thick fog. Adrienne Barbeau as the DJ at a lighthouse radio station and Carpenter-staple Tom Atkins are more in my thoughts than the Leigh/Curtis mother-daughter duo. I'd revisit it as I have the movie, though I did not put it on my vote list.

Theatre of Blood (1973) - In my recollection it comes to me as resembling a stage play... Though it's Vincent Price- giving a characteristically fascinating performance, in a mash-up runthrough of Shakespeare, King Lear comes to mind. Did vote for a Vincent Price film, not this one though.

Pitch Black (2000) - Viewed once a long while back. The Chronicles of Riddick, the second film, I've seen that more, not recently however. Of the two I'd rather watch Pitch Black. Hits my memory as a somewhat Alien-style film. Then Chronicles of Riddick had a more action-oriented bent.

The Return of the Living Dead (1985) - Music-plus, character actors-plus, viewed the night before my successful job interview last fall. Should all add up to a lock. It's unsettling to watch, something about the colors- greens and yellows. With the coloration makes you feel sick while watching, then they're doing humor and something of an 80s-street-hangout style movie. I've given it good ratings before, but I left it off my list.

The Burning (1980) - Fav characters in the film - Brian Matthews playing Todd, and Jason Alexander (George Costanza) playing Dave. Something curious about how the dreaded Harvey Weinstein went from this, his first produced movie, to gradually become the most powerful movie guy in the world pretty much for so long. Approving of the character dynamics in this one, they're convincing and ultimately constructive, and I spent a lot of time growing up at summer camps and at lakes like this, these movies appeal to me. I can recall counselors telling us haunted stories, which happens in this movie. This was the flick that made me feel good about my Slash vault. High on my list after a late-in-the-game recall of how I genuinely enjoy what this movie's about. Also, *Savini gore FX*

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitch Black1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	52453   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReturnotLivingd.jpg
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	52454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burning81.jpg
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	52455  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen The Neon Demon. (I didn't know it was a horror movie, so it wasn't on my watchlist.)

I watched They Live for this countdown, and I liked it enough that I considered it for my list, but it didn't make the final cuts. It's a fun movie, but it was cut from my list mainly for two minor reasons. 1) I thought the fight scene with Roddy Piper and his friend was too long, and 2) I didn't like the ending.

Let the night air cool you off
I like gifs and still of They Live more than film itself, and of course I love Roddy Piper the pro wrestling personality, but the movie itself just doesn't do it for me.

I loved The Neon Demon when it came out and i consider it the best that Refn has done. A very visceral experience and i rate it
. Did however not consider it a horror movie.

They Live has some iconic scenes and symbolic gestures, though at the same time has a bit of an archaic B-movie feel to it

None of them were on my list and i did not consider them either.

Seen 5/6.

As said They Live didn't really feel horrorish enough for me to list plus I spose it suffered from be already voting for other Carpenter films.

Neon Demon I did list, I might have placed it even more highly if I felt it had fully lived up to its potential, the setup is superb IMHO and arguably Refn's best looking/sounding film with a nice Lynchian(now theres someone who could have featured a lot bar IMDB genre listings) atmosphere. The ending certainly isn't bad but does feel a little to on the nose for me relative to what came previously.

Love the title and subject matter of Neon Demon but have never seen it as I imaged it would be another intensely bloody slasher movie...so when you guys say it's boring or all style, does that mean I might like it? Seriously I wonder if I might?
It's not bloody. It's more a subliminal horror type thing. It IS slow, but it is also stunning. I know I've said that a few times, but I was really struck by how much I liked it with multiple watches. I waited a while to see it too, as I never really seemed to be in the mood for something slow.

But then I rewatched another Winding Refn film and it made me feel like playing catchup. AND. GODS. It was worth the wait.

I loved The Neon Demon when it came out and i consider it the best that Refn has done. A very visceral experience and i rate it
. Did however not consider it a horror movie.
Yeah, I felt the horror element was too subtle for me to vote it in my top 25, although....I WAS tempted because I love the movie so much. But I gave my oblique horror away to another film (one that I consider kind of... politely vicious, so it deserved the place more).

I never went over the ones that came close to making the cut, so...

Not seen Return of the Living Dead, Theatre of Blood, Raw, Near Dark, Train to Busan or The Fog. Pretty much all of them are on my watchlist or at least movies I’ve been wanting to see for a long time.

Hellraiser 2 is a fun film. I was surprised how much I liked it. It wasn’t perfect by any means but I liked some aspects of it quite a bit. I got a review of it here.

Kill List and Creep were both disappointments to me. I wouldn’t mind revisiting the former some day though. The Burning is a fun slasher. I had a fine time with it!