Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Work -

really disappointed I didn't get to see this in time to nominate it for the MoFo Film Awards

My Own Private Idaho (1991)

Nice tale, of its time. The performances (even Keanus! ) are excellent.

Angel Heart 1987

Re-watch (first time, after it's release).
First hour is still near perfect great, with a good/ok ending.
Forgot to nominate it for the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies.
-

A cat and mouse movie where pretty much every character is unlikable. Was never bored by it but it does get a little wordy at times. I don't think it's as clever as it thinks it is but it passed the time.

A video nasty and this was one of the nastier exploitation movies I've seen in awhile. There is a little something here to offend just about anybody. A guy has his girlfriend seduce "sinners" on a Greek isle, he takes pics of them committing the sin, then they kill the sinner. Pretty straight forward, pretty simple premise but this gets icky fast. It's not gory at all, just sick.

Directed by Saudi Arabia's first female director, Haifaa al-Mansour. Her first feature film was 2012's Wadjda. This time around she tackles the story of Mary Shelley who lived a tumultuous life and at a very young age penned the Gothic novel Frankenstein.

As much as I appreciated the subject matter, the film fell flat when delving into the lives of these radical thinkers of the 19th century. I felt like I was watching actors do a BBC made for TV show. That's not a bad thing, it just missed it's mark and had little depth of soul...and depth of soul is what Mary Shelley's life's story and novel are about.

IMO the actors for the most part were miscast, I just didn't believe Elle Fanning had the inner flame and drive to do the things Mary Shelley did. Nor did the director take us on a personal journey of exploration, it was more show and tell.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mary Shelley (2017).jpg
Views:	361
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	52405  

Angel Heart 1987

Re-watch (first time, after it's release).
First hour is still near perfect great, with a good/ok ending.
Forgot to nominate it for the MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies.
-
Blinder of a film. 9 from 10 for me.

Us
directed by Jordan Peele

If you liked Get Out I think you will like this. It wasn't as nicely wrapped up as I hoped for and the start was a little slow, but it picks up alright! A fun ride to be sure.

Pet Sematary (1989)

Rewatched this mainly because the remake is on its way (or was it released already?). Time hasn't improved my opinion on this and I consider it overrated film.

The Panama Papers
(2018)

Watched The Panama Papers last night. Alex Winter (of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure fame)
is a good documentarian, e.g. his Deep Web. The production of this feature as a whole is top tier. Early on my suspicions were raised when they kept referring to "income inequality"; and with statements like, "The job of a journalist is to seek justice" (which it is not). Thankfully they mostly stayed clear of the social justice hokum, and pretty much kept to the financial facts and the description of the group of international journalists' efforts. The underlying editorial position was pretty clear though. IMO the journalists weren't so much the heroes as was the whistle blower.

The Panama Papers incident was a true international barn burner from 2016, with several heads of state losing their jobs, and at least one participant who was allegedly murdered. The conduit, Panamanian legal and accounting firm Mossack Fonseca, of course went belly-up.

They did a very nice job of producing a fascinating documentary which, apart from the international scandal, could have been a pretty dry financial tale.

Doc's rating: 7/10

P.S.
Winter has a Frank Zappa feature documentary due to come out in early 2020.