MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've seen The Host, it was alright. Not seen The Conjuring. To be honest I'm a little surprised I've seen 2/4 so far; I was expecting more obscure films to show up first off. Looking at some of the ones that just missed the top 100 as well, I don't think some of the less obvious picks from my list have much of a chance. Then again, with horror there are always cult favourites so who knows.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I like both, The Host was a lot of fun, but lacks the real horror element for me to be included.

I love The Conjuring movies, but the first one was better.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I liked this batch better than the first but they're all worth watching.
Seen 4/4. None from my list has appeared.

The House that Jack Built was one of my favorite movies from 2018, but it didn't quite make my list. The Host is another solid movie but also wasn't on my list.

I couldn't stand the Conjuring so I can't imagine I'd like the sequel. Never heard of I Walked with a Zombie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Now the question is...how many people didn't know this and films they would have nominated aren't included now.

Also, people can edit the genres.

If people can edit the genres on IMDB, why didn't someone here edit the genres for Jaws to include "horror"?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched The Host (2006) about a year or two ago. (I think it might have been nominated in a HoF or other tournament here on MoFo.) It was a pretty good movie, but not good enough to make my list.

I watch both of The Conjuring movies for this countdown. I like both Vera Farmiga and and Patrick Wilson, so I was hoping that I would like these movies too. The first movie was okay, but I thought it went too far and lacked believability. It just felt like they were trying too hard to push things like the devil and demons on the audience. (If that much demonic stuff was happening in my house, my family and I would have left long before it got that bad.

After watching the first movie, I watched about the first hour of The Conjuring 2 (2016), but I liked it less than the first movie, and I just couldn't finish it.

The House that Jack Built was one of my favorite movies from 2018, but it didn't quite make my list. The Host is another solid movie but also wasn't on my list.

I couldn't stand the Conjuring so I can't imagine I'd like the sequel. Never heard of I Walked with a Zombie.
The House That Jack Built is fantastic. I never though I would watch a Lars Von Trier movie and I try it and it was an absolute blast. I'll watch Antichrist one day for sure

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If people can edit the genres on IMDB, why didn't someone here edit the genres for Jaws to include "horror"?
They won't let me, and I've tried numerous times since IMDb existed, including three times since this list was announced. Michelle, the "official rep", is an idiot when you try to discuss reality with her.

I've been notified that my image links broke Monday afternoon while I was sleeping before work. I'll get this fixed Tuesday morning. Excited to have Tuesday night off from work so I can get more involved with the films discussion provided so far.

The House That Jack Built is fantastic. I never though I would watch a Lars Von Trier movie and I try it and it was an absolute blast. I'll watch Antichrist one day for sure
Antichrist is a different mouthful for sure. Prepare yourself for explicit and nasty stuff... BUT with that said, Antichrist was the first Trier I saw and like you, at the time at least, I wasn't really interested in watching his movies. But I had an assignment for graphic violence in movies, so how can I not pick that one + he's from Denmark so it was perfect.

And I was actually surprised that it fascinated me. I was ready to just outright hate this movie but I ended up rather liking it on first watch. Seen it a few times since too.

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen The Host and thought it was alright, but didn't think it was too special. It does make me think I should try watching it again.

Haven't seen anything Conjuring-related, though I imagine that if the sequel makes it then I should expect the original. Guess I'll have to move them up my to-do list.

Antichrist is a different mouthful for sure. Prepare yourself for explicit and nasty stuff... BUT with that said, Antichrist was the first Trier I saw and like you, at the time at least, I wasn't really interested in watching his movies. But I had an assignment for graphic violence in movies, so how can I not pick that one + he's from Denmark so it was perfect.

And I was actually surprised that it fascinated me. I was ready to just outright hate this movie but I ended up rather liking it on first watch. Seen it a few times since too.
You convince me even more! Thanks man

While I can't say I'm surprised Claire Denis' disturbing Trouble Every Day didn't get any other votes I am still disappointed. And that Near Dark didn't make the cut is just silly.

But then again, Jaws doesn't even count as a horror movie, so there is silly for you before the thing even started.

HOLDEN'S LIST
21. Near Dark (DNP)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It is, actually. You have to scroll pretty far down, but if you look in the section below the cast listing, there's an area that lists genres. It's tagged as Action, Crime, Drama, Horror, Romance, and Thriller. The top of the IMDb page only lists the first 3 genres.
Arse. Thanks for that, honey (and Chyp who left a comment saying the same). At least I'll know if there's a next time. Too late now, but if everyone could just add 20+ points to Near Dark.

The Host was ok, I don't remember it that well, but I remember feeling a little bored with it towards the end. Didn't consider it and not sure I would've.

Haven't seen any of The Conjuring films. Or most films from the last 20 years.