MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Yahoo! (I think) one of mine made the countdown...I Walked With A Zombie (1943)...Much better than Abbot and Costello Meet the Zombie...But I lost my list so I'm not sure. @Nostromo87 how about sending me my list back, please.
Whoops! I Walked With A Zombie wasn't on my list after all...But, it was on my short list and almost made it. I'll send back those 4 reps pronto

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It is, actually. You have to scroll pretty far down, but if you look in the section below the cast listing, there's an area that lists genres. It's tagged as Action, Crime, Drama, Horror, Romance, and Thriller. The top of the IMDb page only lists the first 3 genres.
Now the question is...how many people didn't know this and films they would have nominated aren't included now.

Also, people can edit the genres.

Suspect's Reviews

I must admit that I thought people knew this by now. That you can scroll down and see more genres. Also, in the app it displays all genres up top I just saw.

But yeah, not much to do now. But for the future, we should probably state “remember to scroll down as IMDb don’t list all genres up top” or something like that.

Anyways, if it’s true what Suspect says that you can Wikipedia-style-edit the genres yourself and change it, then IMDb might not be the best place to confirm genres. That said I have no idea what we should use instead...

...if it’s true what Suspect says that you can Wikipedia-style-edit the genres yourself and change it...
Can someone try and do that and report back? I'm not so sure it's that easy to edit the movie page at IMDB.

The Host (2006)
Runtime: 1 Hour 59 Mins
Production Company: Chungeorahm Film
Distributed by Showbox Entertainment
Director: Joon-ho Bong
Production Budget: ₩11.8 billion, ₩ is the South Korean currency called Won
Box Office: ₩101,261,592,000 aka $89.4 Million US Dollars
Four Votes (Receiving 14, 13, 10, and 9 points, respectively)
46 Points
High Voter: @jal90

A creature plunges from a bridge into the Han River emerging on its shores for a feeding frenzy upon onlookers. When a young girl is snatched in the melee, her family sets off to recover her from the monster that the government claims to be a host of an unidentified virus. Source: The back of the DVD case.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Host98.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	52422  

The Conjuring 2 (2016)
Runtime: 2 Hours 14 Mins
Production Company: New Line Cinema
Distributed by Warner Bros Pictures
Director: James Wan
Production Budget: $40,000,000
Box Office: $320,400,000
Three Votes (Receiving 17, 16, and 14 points, accordingly)
47 Points
High Voter: @Derek Vinyard

Reprising their roles from The Conjuring, Vera Farmiga and and Patrick Wilson star as Lorraine and Ed Warren, who help a single mother raising four children alone in a house plagued by malicious spirits. Source: The back of the DVD case.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Conjuring 2 97.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	52424  

Hey, I seen The Host, liked it too! Not on my list but it could have been, if I had put it there.

An excerpt from my review:
The Host (2006) Gwoemul (original title)

After toxic chemicals are poured into Seoul's Han River a mutated monster emerges and begins attacking people. When a small girl is taken alive by the creature, her family does what it can to rescue her before it's too late.

I liked this one. It wasn't what I expected...I expected a 2 hour long movie with people being bit in half by a giant creature. Instead it had a lighter touch and focused more on a slightly dysfunctional but very likable Korean family. The film makers could have left the creature out of the film and I would have still liked the characters and the way the family interacted, the were interesting! It was nice seeing scenes inside Korea too.

The creature itself was pretty cool looking...I liked the way it moved on land, it couldn't walk well and would occasionally fall on it's belly. Nicely done CG.

The film itself had a very high quality look to it. Very cinematic with rich colors and lots of rain. You can tell it was well made. I watched the English dubbed version, which matched up pretty well. Though I would have liked the English voice actors to have a Korean accent.

It took me awhile to realize the film makers intended this to have light comic situations. What made that light comedy work is that it came out of the way people naturally react and was not slapstick.

Think of The Host as a Godzilla done up Korean style, with an ecliptic but realistic family added in. This is fun Sci-Fi Horror!

The Host was a fun film. I had a good time with it but not nearly enough to vote for it.

I personally really like The Conjuring 2. Not quite as good as the first, but it has some interesting ways of expanding the universe and characters. Didn’t vote for it though.

Two good films. I think we are in for a treat with this list!

Laughed my butt off the whole time making that post for #98. "Won," the South Korean currency. Who knew.

The Conjuring 2 was my #9

James Wan is one of the best director working today imo.

I've seen both of these, but neither was on my list.

I thought The Host was alright, but I didn't love it. When that Stephanie Meyer book got adapted into a film as well, it caused a bit of confusion since I know some YA enthusiasts who were surprised that I had seen The Host as well, and it always took a few minutes to realize were were talking about two different movies haha.

I like a fair amount of The Conjuring 2, but I do have issues with it. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the film, but pretty much hated every second of the last half. I only saw it once in theatres, and have been meaning to revisit it, but haven't bothered yet.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
How old is the idea of a Zombie (or just a zombie) film? I though Night of the Living Dead started it, George Romero?
The modern conception of the zombie owes itself almost entirely to George A. Romero's 1968 film Night of the Living Dead. In his films, Romero "bred the zombie with the vampire, and what he got was the hybrid vigour of a ghoulish plague monster".
^^^ pulled off of Wiki

But yeah in my opinion Zombie movies did not get good till Romero, in my head he is the king of Zombie movies.

Seen The Host twice and like it a good amount.

I prefer the first Conjuring but the sequel is good too. Still surprised to see it show up.

I didn't like The Host that much. It wasn't bad by any means but it didn't stand out either. I'm kinda surprised to see it on the list. The Conjuring 2 is considerably worse than the first film but still on the upper parts of my OK scale. Well-made and popular film so not surprised by this.