Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Life of Jesus (1997)

Rough and gritty look at bored teenagers who are locked in a drab northern French town (Bruno Dumonts speciality)...the arrival of an Asian fellow sets off many underlying predjudices but, as usual with Dumont, its the mundane and workaday that gets his point across. The group of actors do very well and it is a fine linear storyline with his characteristic plotting. Rough around the edges but no worse off for that.

The Blind Swordsman: Zatôichi 2003 dir. Takeshi Kitano

An unconventional and original approach to a samurai movie. The tone of the film switches often, from scenes with lightning-fast and perfectly executed short blade and samurai sword fight choreography, to slow paced serious art-house drama, comedy, music and even dancing. Kitano also delivers an excellent charismatic bad-ass performance, conveying emotions without the use of his eyes, most impressive.
+
It's great isn't it John? The rhythmic scenes blew me away. A triumph for Takeshi.

Welcome to the human race...
Princess Mononoke -

feels like I'm doing a Steve Freeling impression right now

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Re-watch)

3/5

It's a little too long and I would've liked to see more of Keaton's Vulture but it's fun enough and it's definitely my favorite and arguably most comic accurate live action Spider-Man to date.

4/5
I felt asleep to be honest, but because I was really tired. Deservedly cult.
It's s good movie Ms. M, A one time watch for me though. Don't really understand the fascination with this movie although, as I say, it was good. Imagine what that daft bugger Coppola would have done with CGI back then?!

The Neon Demon (2016)

Refn has not done himself any favours by making this unsympathetic "statement". A terrible cast playing characters that I couldn't really give a hoot about. Following on from "Only God Forgives" (which I loved) this was very poor for me.

It's great isn't it John? The rhythmic scenes blew me away. A triumph for Takeshi.
Absolutely! It was a re-watch to evaluate a position on my all time 100 list, and it's definitely going on there!

Halloween(2018) -
- Snooze factor = Z
Bad Times At The El Royale -
- Snooze factor = Z
Slaughterhouse Rulez -
- Snooze factor = Z
Tag -
- Snooze factor = Zz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

4th Re-watch...the second best film adaptation of a Tennessee Williams play...despite a watered down screenplay, it's still a powerful piece of film making...Paul Newman is brilliant and should have won an Oscar and despite the loss of third hubby Mike Todd during filming, Taylor gives one of her best performances and NEVER looked more breathtaking onscreen.

Piranha 3DD (2012) – 6/10

Does what it says on the tin ; plus there are some very funny cameos.

It's also a nice excuse for me to see Danielle Panabaker — I never looked anywhere else — who was fantastic in Girls Against Boys the same year.

FREE SOLO

One of the greatest human feats ever.
One man, one mountain, one goal and one mistake between the ultimate life and the certain death...

Sure, there wasn’t elaborate depth or a wide perspective to this documentary but all I really wanted was height, so it’s all good. But I did get a lot more than that actually. Alex is a deeply fascinating human being. The way he thinks, the way he acts and the way he simply... is. I found it very intriguing to see him communicate with people or compile his thought process into words; it’s just not how the norm would do or act. But what he misses that we got he makes up for in what we will never get. What he accomplishes here is just monumental. When he reached the peak of El Capitan, he also reached the peak of the human capability... for now.

Those last 30-20 minutes are absolutely nerve-wrecking, sweat-inducing and utterly adrenaline-fueled. My body and senses wanted to look away but I wanted to keep watching every bit of this madness. I wasn’t even up there with him and I felt the wind in my stomach. The beautiful cinematography really makes you feel like you are right there and is half or more of the experience for sure. The immense amount of depth in the picture lets you be completely immersed in what is happening on screen... and beyond.

What more can I say? Nothing can really compare to seeing a human being on the side of a mountain 1000 meters up in the air with nothing but a t-shirt, some trousers, climbing shoes and a bag of white powder that surprisingly isn’t cocaine. This man is insane. In control or simply lucky. A daredevil or a dumb bloke... or both. I’m forever impressed no matter what though. And frightened beyond compare.

Why isn’t this categorized as horror again?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

L4yer Cake (2004)

I must be a pie guy.

The Signalman (1976) – 8/10

Really good; menacing. Hopefully I'll read it too one day . My strongest connection with Charles Dickens has always been with A Christmas Carol (which I have read) and I could hear similar turns of phrase here in the dialogue. I can understand why in Doctor Who Mark Gatiss had the Doctor say – to Dickens himself – that this was "the best ghost story ever written".

Side/Walk/Shuttle by Ernie Gehr

Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) by Rich Moore and Phil Johnston

Moloch (1999) by Aleksandr Sokurov

Bigger Than Life (1956) by Nicholas Ray
+

Victory Day (2018) by Sergey Loznitsa

For the Lost (2014) by Pierre-Yves Vandeweerd

Second viewing of Youth In Revolt -
- Snooze factor = Z
Black Narcissus -
- Snooze factor = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

4th Re-watch...can't explain my morbid fascination with this movie...Streisand works very hard at trying to cover up the fact that she's miscast and has absolutely no chemistry with Matthau. The first 90 minutes of this movie are snore-inducing until the Waiter's Gallup, brilliantly choreographed by Michael Kidd. For hard-core Streisand fans only.