The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Talking of polished games, the new Toejam & Earl is out!

For the under 35s, Toejam & Earl was, if not the best game ever made, certainly the funkiest. Play it today and you'll go "Oh, a roguelike!", for it's basically a roguelike/lite.

With funk.

The new one's a bit weird - bought it last night on the Switch. It's easily the best game in the franchise since the original but I think it looks awful, like a Newgrounds flash game in places. It's fun, but I think I'd still prefer to play (and listen to) the first game.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
This popped in my head the other day. Me and my buddy; backwards hats, Silvertabs, Champion NBA jerseys.

We played this game so much and I have no idea what the hell we did. Definitely never beat it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Here's a record of the one Mofo session we ever managed. This is just me and Yods vs bots, but Tatty turned up for a bit as a doughty tackler

I got alright at it in the end, mixing it up in that aerial / floor-is-lava mode they added. Hell I could even play the basketball mode

If I was still playing flatscreen, I'd be playing Rocket League

It is verboten!

I can't enjoy flatscreen games in quite the same way now. They look too flat :/

(Well I'm playing Lego demos with my kidling, but that's just cause I'm keeping him away from the Matrix for now )

Payday 2 crossplay tho? Now you're talking

Guy I know from SpyParty (he sponsors one of the yearly tournaments) has been working on an environmental puzzle game called The Jigsaw House, due out two weeks from tomorrow:

Definitely gonna play this one with the wife pretty much right on release.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
New TV as monitor setup in the back office room at home. FINALLY!!! I can read my game screens. More to come later as time permits. TCL 5 Series is actually pretty clear and nice considering the price. I'm impressed. Text looks great from the PS4. I'm very curious if that will maintain once the laptop is plugged into it. Colors are fine and vivid (though they do shift considerably with each screen mode) and I've not noticed any artifacts or jitters from gaming or streaming. It is wifi and my router is literally on the other end of the house (not a big house, but still a house), and while the menu says the signal strength is weak, I'm streaming very well with HBO now. For context, HBO Now has been damn prissy with connection speeds for the past year, so that app is my default measure anymore. What? HBO can handle it? "Five-by-five, we're in the pipe."

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

***** ed*** d*asdg**fgAfg*adfg adfg
Just lost a running 7-paragraph review of a game I've returned to since the TV's arrival. CRAP.

*EDIT*
I manually typed the asterisks for appearance only. No foul language was submitted or filtered.

I'm not sure how to add PS people on PC, hmmm.
Sounds like you hook up via a private match?

(Maybe then send a friend request via recent players after that?)

New TV as monitor setup in the back office room at home. FINALLY!!! I can read my game screens. More to come later as time permits. TCL 5 Series is actually pretty clear and nice considering the price. I'm impressed. Text looks great from the PS4. I'm very curious if that will maintain once the laptop is plugged into it. Colors are fine and vivid (though they do shift considerably with each screen mode) and I've not noticed any artifacts or jitters from gaming or streaming. It is wifi and my router is literally on the other end of the house (not a big house, but still a house), and while the menu says the signal strength is weak, I'm streaming very well with HBO now. For context, HBO Now has been damn prissy with connection speeds for the past year, so that app is my default measure anymore. What? HBO can handle it? "Five-by-five, we're in the pipe."
Does the TV have a Game Mode or similar? If you're getting different colours with different inputs it suggests that each input has different colour/brightness settings.

I use Game Mode for everything now. Not only does it turn off latency-adding image processing by default, I prefer the way video looks with all that crap turned off.

Thanks. I didnt see one but will def take a deeper look tonight. The screen gave me near vertigo the first night but I think I've adjusted! I was very concerned for about 48 hours thinking I made a mistake.

You'll also probably need to adjust each input separately - eg, if you mess around with brightness settings for Game Mode on HDMI 1, those settings will only apply to that input. HDMI 2 etc will need to be adjusted too.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I’m nearly at the end of rdr2. Its been an experience- the story for her most part was moving. I’ll add more to this when I’m done but there are problems which various other posters have volunteered.

Pace is the biggest problem. Initially I wanted to believe this was helping the immersion - that this was a fresh mechanism in an age of instant gratification. Slowing movement, and various other slow mechanisms that I once applauded I know have stopped bs ing myself, I don’t like it. When it’s happening I notice time, my mind wanders then I notice time I’m spending playing a video game and because I’m playing a video game I feel that I could be better using that time.

The production and story is high quality in a narrative and immersion sense. The highest quality really however it is just a video game and fun and entertainment is the priority.

I really like this game but I’m desperate to finish the story and it’s more of a slog than keen anticipation. Once I finish the main story I will feel relief I believe and maybe then I’ll be able better to explore and have fun in the world but until that time it’s causing me some frustration.

That may sound like I don’t like it but I really have, it’s been great but I need to finish it.

Oh we're talking pace?

Been trying to figure out why I haven't had as much fun in 3.x as I did back in 2.x and I think I finally figured it out. The first 15-20 minutes of gameplay loop are waiting for elevators, running down long corridors, waiting for trains, more corridors, more elevators, and that's just to get to your ship. Then its another 5 minutes to exit atmosphere to use your Q-drive to actually go anywhere, then you have to wait for your Q-travel. And if the game crashes or you die at any point, you get to do it all over again. Such thrilling gameplay.... I don't like waiting.
Slick vid. And a real design issue when you don't have any gameplay interrupting your travel loop(s) :/

It's probably for the best this thing isn't tumbling into the real world any year soon. (******** it annoys me what a waste of potential this lunking thing is liable to be )

But hey, update 3.5 is slowly rolling out. @Sleezy, performance is better now, roadtest please!

(EDIT: Actually sorry that callout was cruel. Don't do it to yourself man. Not even for the Blade Runner taxi ride :/)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Jaysus lol - waiting for virtual elevators. I imagine if rockstar made that you would have to wait but your movement inside the elevator would be slowed lol.