Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Stigma (1977) – 5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
I would say this is horror rather than a ghost story. The idea itself is strong but I found the inconsistency of the blood a weakness – several times it appears with no visible injury underneath; in the denouement this changes to minute droplets seeping through the skin. You could say that this is the curse gradually affecting the physical body of its victim in stages (maybe eventually a stab wound would manifest, perfectly replicating the human sacrifice under the stone?). This is where the psychological bent of earlier M. R. James adaptations was preferable and perhaps Stigma would have been more successful had they stuck to that style even more.

The direction's good and I think Kate Binchy was really good. The upper middle classness was a bit hard work but fair enough, they're a well-to-do family who can afford diggers to move a stone . I thought the workman jumping straight into what was clearly a burial site – and ultimately a murder scene – and picking up the skull really quite ridiculous.

Operation Odessa (2018)
Not as good as Precinct Seven Five but such a crazy story.
Good recommendation! Watched it last night, and enjoyed it as much as anything I've seen in the past year! I kept shaking my head that these 3 were getting away with these incredible projects. And there were a bunch of laugh out loud moments as well. "Tarzan" is a riot. It's hard to imagine that anyone wouldn't like this first rate absorbing documentary. Cheers.

~Doc

Welcome to the human race...
Rosemary's Baby -

gotta love those movies where you can watch them and just be reminded of all the stuff that's been praised for ripping it off in the decades since its release

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
(2017)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

5th Re-watch...Woody Allen's exquisitely economic valentine to the city he loves more than any other...a sophisticated and witty screenplay...perfect ensemble cast with standout work from Keaton and Hemingway...even a very young Meryl Streep at her most beautiful...stunning photography and gorgeous George Gershwin music.

Rosemary's Baby -

gotta love those movies where you can watch them and just be reminded of all the stuff that's been praised for ripping it off in the decades since its release
That list would go on for at least the entire duration of the film. Were you even able to focus?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Cul-de-sac - 6/10
I usually LOVE movies like these, but Polanski ruined it by making a movie (and characters) drunk before anyone had a drink. It felt a little like taking the great "Knife in the Water" and putting a knife through it with sham.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, solid 7/10. An enjoyable ride, but I would've preferred if it ended up going more off the rails like other gilliam movies

Bob's last movie...Redford announced he would retire from acting after The Old Man & The Gun. And it's a nice send off too, for the veteran actor who started out in 1960 and has starred in many beloved films.

There's a segment in the movie where Redford's character Forest Tucker who's a life long gentleman bank robber, reflects back on his early days of robbery. The film then shows us photos and a film clip of a very young Robert Redford, which works for the story and as a tribute to Robert Redford himself. Those flash back photos were quite touching, while being understated and within the bounds of the story. So kudos to the film for that!

I liked the movie and it's slow paced flow. Nothing overly exciting happens. No big action or chase scenes to speak of, thank goodness. Mostly it's just Bob doing what he does best, being Redford and showing us his quiet understated charm. He's paired up with Sissy Spacek in a subdued and low keyed romance story line. Actually it's more like a friendship about two people getting to know one another, with one of them being a notorious bank robber!

Based on a 'mostly true story', The Old Man and the Gun is worth watching on a quiet Sunday evening.

+

Welcome to the human race...
That list would go on for at least the entire duration of the film. Were you even able to focus?
More than you'd think, though it was hard not to think about how everyone was losing their sh*t over Hereditary last year when this has existed for fifty years. Speaking of cult-themed horrors from fifty years ago...

The Wicker Man -

this guy needs to get laid

Unregistered User
Good recommendation! Watched it last night, and enjoyed it as much as anything I've seen in the past year! I kept shaking my head that these 3 were getting away with these incredible projects. And there were a bunch of laugh out loud moments as well. "Tarzan" is a riot. It's hard to imagine that anyone wouldn't like this first rate absorbing documentary. Cheers.

~Doc

Glad you enjoyed. I couldn't stop laughing at the part explaining when they put the helicopter down to ask for directions.

Unregistered User

A Foreign Affair (1948)

This is up there with my favourite Wilder. Has so much to it, with such witty dialogue and a great script, all the major characters perform brilliantly. Marlene Dietrich slightly steals the show for me from Jean Arthur but seriously, this film had everything.

This is the first James Dean movie I've ever watched and it was really good. Obviously has that "old" acting feel which may be a turnoff to some but once you get used to it it's kind of eh, ok . Jo Van Fleet as Kate was excellent. Thought she stole every scene she was in.

As far as women in prison films go this is pretty standard fare. Innocent girl ends up prison with nasty warden and an inmate who wants to "do her in." Cliques form and then all hell breaks loose. If you've ever seen a WiP film you know what to expect. Not as good as the classics like Big Bird Cage or as over the top campy as Reform School Girls but it's better than a lot of 'em.