Captain Marvel

Tools    

Rotten Tomatoes should be renamed "Rotten Toes", in honor of one: Brie Larson (the strong superhero wamen who stood up against all those misogynistic white males).

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

White guys sure are touchy these days. Wonder why that could be.

Maybe they were thinking that they don't need to waste any time on reactionary white male jackasses like the one in that video whose prefabricated complaints against Captain Marvel consist of vacuous nonsense like "she doesn't smile enough" or "she's a Mary Sue". If you were that much of a Marvel fanatic that you've spent quote-unquote thousands on movie tickets (which also begs the question of how you even managed to do that), then even this shouldn't stop you.

You do know 61% of North America is white, and that males are more active on these kinds of sites than females, right? It could more easily be based on random chance than sexism, because unless you haven't noticed: white men aren't inherently sexist. This country's come a long way since the Revolutionary War, the Gold Rush, the Civil War, the Industrial Revolution, etc. It's not like they cause problems specifically because their white. It's only easy to single out ken because woman wouldn't typically do that for a superheroine needed when the Avengers are mostly men. These GUYS would probably review bomb it if Captain Marvel was a guy. The joke is to mock one of the most-hyped things since Infinity War. I'm a white male and I'm going to like this movie.

Welcome to the human race...
White men may not necessarily be inherently sexist, but does that really excuse the ones who are? It should be easy enough for a white man to see Larson's comments and just think "fair enough" (I know I did), but the ones like the guy in that video take it as an excuse to double down on their own preconceived notions about what this movie and its creators are representing. To this end, I don't think that this would be getting the same negative treatment if Captain Marvel was a guy because the reason it's so "over-hyped" in the first place is that it's the MCU's first female-led superhero movie - a similar thing happened with Black Panther due to its predominantly black cast.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
At least Black Panther stated true to the comic book character(in terms of appearance). Not just changing things cause "yay strong wamens".

Captain Marvel was released yesterday and I went to see it on the IMAX screen. The film is a bit of a mixed bag but overall I enjoyed it. The biggest strength the story has going for it is that rather than focus on the dull current Danvers series the filmmakers appropriated the original books concepts. The original concept of the book was that Mar-Vel was an alien living on Earth fighting a war and balancing their alliengence's to Earth and the Kree homeworld.

The Kree guard is led by Jude Law and features a band of warriors to varying degrees and powers as they battle the shapeshifting Skrulls led by Ben Mendelsohn. Sheninegans occur and she ends up in 1990's US where SHIELD's Samuel L Jackson and her end up working together as they are caught in this intergalactic battle. Oh and their is a cat named Goose and Danvers keeps seeing Annette Bennig in her head.

The film is sort of like a reverse Wonder Woman in the sense that the worst set pieces are in the beginning and then it gets progressively better. Nick Fury is a major figure in the film, this is practically an 80's buddy cop film and Jackson is very good. The characters are well defined to a point but here's the central fault in the film...it's Brie Larsen. I'm not going to pile onto to the Larsen backlash but you can't ignore that Danvers is smug and condescending throughout the film. Now most of the Marvel leads have a degree of smugness the difference is those characters are grounded with flaws and this film doesn't give Danvers any flaws. She's not broken like Doctor Strange or young like Spider-man or guilt-ridden like Tony Stark or a castout like Thor.

The other problem with the film is Lashana Lynch's character is basically just the black friend that reacts to everything and doesn't really do anything else. She pretty much just exists to be a mom and to show up in flashbacks. And while the film has a clear feminist agenda ultimately it fails women as the three male leads (Law, Mendlesohn, and Jackson) are all vastly superior characters that carry the film from being bleh to being a pretty good Marvel film.

Moving onto the films strengths, the 90's backdrop works really well. Anytime they end up picking up a piece of 90's nostalgia it ends up serving the plot. They also don't overdo it with the fashion which I appreciated. The film also does not have a villain problem Talos (Mendelsohn) is awesome his scenes are some of the best in the film. And while I can't express just how smug Danvers is her humor works at points, the final battle is pretty great and establishes what they were trying to do (though they did kind of fail at it).

At the end of the day the film is worth seeing
(though really it's more like 3.25

This might just do nobody any good.
Siddon, you might want to move that to the review sub-forum or the “last movie you saw” thread.

At least Black Panther stated true to the comic book character(in terms of appearance). Not just changing things cause "yay strong wamens".
Carol Danvers isn’t your #CaptainMarvel?

That's not how that works at all, for a reasons both logistical and statistical.

Let's just stop drawing broad cultural conclusions from easily manipulated numbers we can't really verify. Especially since we have a lot of evidence that the formula is just each person asking themselves what they already thought and either being skeptical or credulous based on that.
So if it turned out that CM had basically the exact number of reviews as expected we can dismiss the result.

And what just dismiss all user scores because you said so?

I'm indifferent.

Like I said in my review my Captain Marvel is the original 60's Space Spy, but most of that has to do with my love of 50's sci-fi

DC have Wonder Wamen and we only have Karate Scarlett Johanssen and bald Michonne! We must manufacture stronger Wamens!

Edit forgot strong Wamen Scarlett witch.

I don't remember that happen, but you seem to be acting like that's the only possible reaaon.
It's worth asking why this is happening to "the most overhyped thing since Infinity War" but never happened to Infinity War itself.

DC have Wonder Wamen and we only have Karate Scarlett Johanssen and bald Michonne! We must manufacture stronger Wamens!

Edit forgot strong Wamen Scarlett witch.
I still don’t get this. They adapted a popular female character from their own catalogue for a movie, a female character that’s existed since the late 60s with a precedent in the comics for being quite powerful and this... is bad?

And what just dismiss all user scores because you said so?
Yeah, at literally no point have I ever suggested it was "because I said so." It was because of the reasons I gave. Reasons based in actual technical knowledge, how statistics work, and the fact that people have actually taken credit for sabotaging numbers you were actively citing, among other things. Reasons you just sort of ignore and now, apparently, just pretend you never heard?

These bad faith arguments are getting old. Respond to the points people make or don't respond at all, but responding with selective amnesia and sarcasm is lame.

I don't remember that happen, but you seem to be acting like that's the only possible reaaon.

It's worth asking why this is happening to &quot;the most overhyped thing since <i>Infinity War</i>&quot; but never happened to <i>Infinity War</i> itself.

Because Infinity War practically doubled the hype what with the movie having the hoghest headcount since The Wako Kid and Cecil B. DeMille. Only this included plenty of characters everyone cared about. Infinity War FORCED people to wait for the next movis which they HAVE to see now.

Edit: And it's no fun to review bomb a movie that's already out. People have already seen it, loved it and gave it to many positive reviews for review bombers to outweigh. Ant-Man and the Wasp wasn't as hyped up because... it's Ant-Man, a franchise there for series filler as opposed to CM which is supposed to help resolve IW's end.

It'd be one thing if this happened to every MCU installment as a matter of course, but it didn't.

You're forgetting that before Infinity War, Avengers was just a way to bring a bunch of cool movies together, and could've even be seen as a cash-grab. The hype built around Infinity War was a bit lowered before since a lot of people expected it to be another cash grab with too many characters. People criticized the first two Avengers movies for having too many protagonists. But the hype was nowhere near Darth Vader being Luke's father until after the end of Infinity War.

Besides, even if sexism is a bigger part than I thought trolls might only pretend to be sexist or racist to see people whine and bitch. Roald Dahl pretended to be anti-semetic to get more adults to notify him. The comments helped make him more famous, but after his death his friends and family confirmed he said a lot of things to get attention. Most of the trolls, or at least half could easily be just playing a prank. Trolls cause problems to see how people react. And if there's a major fit, they're getting what they want.

How does people doing it as a prank make it any better? Like the guy says, we are who we pretend to be so we have to be careful who we pretend to be.