A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Tools    

1. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3
2. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
3. The Warning - Ugh
4. The Prodigy - Breathe
5. Metallica - One
6. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement
7. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
8. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
9. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)
10. SKÁLD - Run

Nom for round 4
Yoko Takahashi - The Cruel's Angel Thesis

1. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

3. Metallica - One

4. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)

5. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat

6. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

7. The Prodigy - Breathe

8. The Warning - Ugh

9. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement

10. SKÁLD - Run

A system of cells interlinked
1. Metallica - One
2 Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows - Love this band....might nominate another one of their tunes next round
3. Halsey - Without Me (live piano version)
4. Church Of The Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat - Good harmonies here...
5. SKÁLD - Run.
6. The Prodigy - Breathe
7. The Warning - Ugh - Loved the riffs, but the vocal was a little grating...
8. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
10. Wagakki Band - Tengaku

Now that I read the "reviews" i had written on my text pad it seems that the boring was the theme of this round

1. The Warning - Ugh
I really like these young ladies. Really catch song and I like their live performances a lot (little rougher and heavier than on albums).

I liked this a lot. Very refreshing mix of old and new. It looks cool to have all those traditional instruments in a rock band too.

3. Metallica - One
Not the best Metallica song by any means but still good. Don't like the video though.

4. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3
Best of these classic pieces this far. Would probably work better on a movie soundtrack though.

5. The Prodigy - Breathe
Repetitive and monotonous but still not bad. Back when MTV (and VIVA) still played music The Prodigy was one of the few non-metal acts I usually bothered to watch.

6. SKÁLD - Run
It just feels too safe and traditional take on this sort of music. Not bad bad slightly dull.

7. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)
Great vocals but boring song.

8. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
Not much is happening in here and I'm bored.

Back when I was in junior high couple of my friends listened to psychobilly so I was familiar with the band. Didn't like it much then and that hasn't really changed.

10- Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
This is so boring that I'm getting cold sweats just for listening.

Round 4 nom:
JINJER - I Speak Astronomy

my turn to nominate some Jinjer

Weird is relative.
1. SKÁLD - Run

Well... I like my nom best out of this bunch. I think the Vikings style is cool with this group. Just discovered them recently, already listened to their album a few times.

2. The Prodigy - Breathe

Old skool hip-hop (?) is usually fun.

3. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

This was a nice composition to listen to on my way to work this morning.

4. Wagakki Band - Tengaku

Reso nominated something from Wagakki Band before I got a chance to! They're great.

5. The Warning - Ugh

Not bad, though it'd be much better to actually listen to them live in concert as opposed to watching the video. The "energy" here just doesn't carry over through a recorded performance.

6. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat

I have no idea what this song is about, but the band name is awesome and I like the cult vibe going on. I thought this was going to be metal so I was very surprised that it's kind of folksy indie rock.

I wasn't feeling the rest...

7. Halsey - Without Me (Live)

8. Metallica - One

9. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

10. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement

Let the night air cool you off
1. Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
2. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
3. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
4. SKALD - Run
5. Metallica - One
7. Demented Are Go - Bodies in the Basement
8. The Warning - Ugh
9. The Prodigy - Breathe
10. Halsey - Without Me

2. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
3. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
4. SKALD - Run
5. Metallica - One
7. Demented Are Go - Bodies in the Basement
8. The Warning - Ugh
9. The Prodigy - Breathe
10. Halsey - Without Me
Sorry jj, appreciate your having listened and ranked the songs but am only accepting votes from those with a nomination in any particular round so I'll not be adding these points to the totals.
  • Only those with songs nominated in any 'round' are eligible to vote; except the 'Final' where all those that have previously nominated a song in the month may vote should they wish
Welcome back for Round 4 though

Weird is relative.

2. The Prodigy - Breathe

Old skool hip-hop (?) is usually fun.

Well, I don't know what you call that type of music, whatever it is...

(Extremely repetitive, yet insanely catchy. Amazing harmonies. Love when the song slows down into a jam session, then comes roaring back to life. Just a fun, vibrant song. The cheesy hippie-cult-on-acid vibe and video are also plusses.)

2. Demented Are Go - Bodies in the Basement
(Great fun. Love the rebellious energy. Has more of a metal sound than what I'm used to hearing from the band. Been a fan of this lead singer, Sparky, for awhile since he has one of those gargles-with-battery-acid voices, although he reminds me a lot of Lemmy in this particular song.)

3. SKALD - Run
(Supposedly my dad's side of the family descends from Vikings, so maybe this tribal, haunting music is reigniting something dormant in my soul. Somebody hand me my horned helmet! VALHALLA!)

4. Metallica - One
(Hate all the movie sampling, but otherwise kick-ass song.)

5. The Warning - Ugh
(Some nice riffs, but overall a bit generic. Luckily I have a soft spot for lady rockers.)

6. Halsey - Without Me
(Nice, emotional vocal. She's quite the looker as well. Song itself is pretty bland, though.)

7. The Prodigy - Breathe
(Video > song.)

8. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
(Was enjoying this at first, but by the end it was getting on my nerves. Asian chicks are hot, but there's something about the Japanese singing style that I find consistently off-putting. Was digging the bamboo flute, though!)

9. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
(A pale, sleepy imitation lacking everything great and iconic about Cohen's original.)

10. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
(*mumbles obscenities*)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Metallica - One Always loved this song and ESPECIALLY this video where they added snippets of the film that inspired the song; Johnny Got His Gun which is a haunting film all its own.

Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows The song that turned me on to Concrete Blonde and, thereby, my favorite of theirs.

Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3 A little Brahms goes a long, long way. I always found Brahms epic in its execution and this a valid demonstration of that.

Wagakki Band - Tengaku pretty wild take on traditional music and instruments and giving it a rockin edge to it. Pretty cool. Definitely a band to WATCH for the visual aspect of the performance.

Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement Got a Motörhead feel to it and I'm feelin it.

Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version) Nice bit of soul in that lady and f@ckin LOVE that dress!

SKALD - Run Really enjoyed the Viking song. Could easily picture this on a Nordic soundtrack.

The Prodigy - Breathe Was first introduced to this band when the film The Crow came out and I do remember this song though not one that stays with me

Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat Is is me or were these people VERY unhappy about standing in front of a camera? Cool song though.

The Warning - Ugh Reminded me of a lot of local bar bands I saw back in the day

EDIT: somehow SKALD got lost in the voting, THANKS @Captain Spaulding for the heads up!!

Voting's now closed for Round 3, sadly @honeykid appears to have gone awol this time (hopefully didn't overdo the CL celebrations) but it's already a fait accompli for the winner anyway.......

1st - Metallica - One (67 pts)

2nd - The Prodigy - Breathe (57 pts)
3rd - Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3 (52 pts)
4th - Wagakki Band - Tengaku (51 pts)
5th - Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows (48 pts)
6th - Church of the Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat (46 pts)
7th - Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version) (45 pts)
7th - The Warning - Ugh (45 pts)
7th - SKÁLD - Run (45 pts)
10th - Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite (39 pts)

So John-Connor doubles up for the Final

Round 4 will be up shortly.