2018 Mofo Film Awards

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
That was the scene in question, yes.

Also, how many nomination lists did this end up getting?

The lower the turnout the greater the chances of smaller movies making it it seems.

Surprised Alex Wolff's performance is up there. I mean he was pretty solid but it surprises me.
I'm surprised by a few things. Ben Foster getting a nod and Leave No Trace for Best Picture. I haven't seen the film, but didn't think many did. It seems enough did it place it high.

I love Ben Foster and was rooting for him a few years ago for Hell or High Water.

This awards list is garbage. No Rami Malek means no credit.

Just because people come to a movie forum doesn't mean they know movies.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I forgot Paddington 2 was 2018 tbh, it came out so early in the year. I didn't like it as much as the first one anyway.

I'd have to check my list when I get home but I think you were one of two people to vote for him.

Welcome to the human race...
No love for John Williams ost..
Presumably it's because he didn't do any new scores this year.

If anything, the fact that these nomination fields aren't saturated with the kind of glorified impersonations that usually clog up awards season makes for an all-around better selection (especially when the past few years of this thing have all lined up with the Oscars' rather boring picks so to not even nominate the Oscar-winning performance is a welcome shake-up). To act like that means we "don't know movies" is...presumptuous.

Too bad people were disappointed with Halloween. I actually thought it was decent.
Like I said before, measuring disappointment is always a little hard to do, especially with a franchise that has virtually never given us a truly good sequel so it's hard to believe we ever got worked up for one that ostensibly promised to reset the canon (again).

movies can be okay...
Kinda disappointed by a few films not getting in. Transit for screenplay (at least), The Sisters Brothers for most categories, or even Blindspotting, Happy as Lazzaro, and Thunder Road, for their breakout performances (Rafael Casal, Adriano Tardiolo, and Jim Cummings).
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Welcome to the human race...
I think Transit misses out on 2018 because it didn't go into wide release until 2019 (so most people wouldn't have had a chance to see it anyway) - that's why I left it off my list despite catching a festival screening. Most of those other releases haven't even come out over here (Blindspotting in particular is something I've been looking forward to for some time).

movies can be okay...
Yeah, I guess the issue of release dates is always tricky to counter. I was even surprised to see First Reformed, and You Were Never Really Here as noms, when I consider them 2017. Still, this year's set of nominations is still very great, and is light years ahead of the Oscars choices.