Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

10/10: A classic Al Pacino film, I consider it a companion piece to Scarface since they have a few of the same actors and director working on the film.
One of my all times favourites, my only little niggle is pacinos accent but I’m now over that. Amazing and moving film.

Welcome to the human race...
Masters of the Universe -

Hard not to think of this as inspiring all three Thor movies to one degree or another.

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)

Recently I've watched more Giallos than ever ranging from Dario Argento gems to New York Ripper type sleazefests. I thought this fit somewhere in the middle. I don't know what to say about it, just thought it was ok.

Chicago - 6.5/10. How in the world did this win Best Picture?
Well it was spectacular it had an amazing screenplay. Are you serious?

Welcome to the human race...
I seriously gave it a
after re-watching it a while back. Considering that it went up against the likes of Gangs of New York, The Pianist, and The Two Towers (and that's just the other BP nominees, never mind any other films from 2002), I would also question why it won Best Picture. I guess the Academy just liked the ol' razzle dazzle.

This Is Not A Film -

quiet devastation

It could have been good. It could have been really good. Great concept, intense suspense and action sequences. The disease sounded real enough made me feel genuinely uncomfortable. Unfortunately the cliche bogged it down (a tortured hero with a strained marriage getting together with his wife, corrupted politicians, gorvement conspiracy...) I especially like that at the beginning of the movie, some hippies broke into a secret goverment health institute for no good reason (really, a health institute? What exactly do you want to get from it?)
WARNING: "And the ending killed the entire movie." spoilers below
The train fell into the water along with the collaping bridge, along with several people on board. This is clearly a cheap attempt at shocking the viewers because some minutes prior to that every passagers were already moved to the "safe" part of the train.

This movie could use some good polishing.

Cold War (2018) (Zimna Wojna)
Directed by Pawel Pawlikowski

Beautifully photographed in black & white by Lukasz Zal, the absorbing story features a smoldering off-again, on-again love story between a producer/pianist and a peasant singer originating in post war Poland, with story lines in France, Yugoslavia and Germany up to 1964.

Joanna Kulig steals the attention with her sultry Simone Signoret type performance portraying the erratic Zula, while Tomasz Kot as Wiktor, a classically trained and jazz pianist, tries to stabilize their relationship.

The film leaves out as much as it relates. And the experience evokes at once both too much and not enough. We're left to imagine why Zula is determined to remain in her home land, despite a better life elsewhere, and whether she's capable of a lasting relationship. But the film seems to answer the questions in a sudden but agreeable ending.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Blended (2014)

Very enjoyable if predictable film. Not a fan of Sandler at all but I did genuinely laugh at points and that's nice for a Sunday . Would have been better with a less sugary ending. 6/10

One of my all times favourites, my only little niggle is pacinos accent but I’m now over that. Amazing and moving film.
Saw this in Glasgow ABC Cinema and it didn't wash first time. Seen it a subsequent 3 times and it's a great piece of film and thoughtful.

Polar (2019)

Not exactly a good movie but it was good for my action fix. Mads Mikkelsen wouldn't be a bad choice as the go to over the hill action star for the next several years, although he could show a bit more personality. At least if he doesn't talk about ethnic cleansing fantasies in the near future. This movie suffers from the usual cliches and stupidity, but it's also filled with nice scenery, hot girls, and tons of violence.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Born To Win - 7.5/10
I bought this on VHS twenty years ago because it was a few bucks. I didn't like it all then, but I didn't know the drug nomenclature and liked it this time.. I think part of it was the misleading cover, with Robert De Niro, who is in about 2 mins of this.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Saw this in Glasgow ABC Cinema and it didn't wash first time. Seen it a subsequent 3 times and it's a great piece of film and thoughtful.
Exactly the same - I saw it in my teens. Was wanting much more action, was wanting Pacino to be a ruthless villain. Watching it again as an adult things changed. Really feel for the character, also enjoyed the romance. My fav de Palma.

I'm going to wait with my rating for Lords of Chaos. Want to watch it again, it's really hard.

From one of my Norwegian black metal musician friends: "yes we were that stupid back then".

I say this. Brutal murder scenes.