Best Picture Oscar 2019

Tools    

Which gets your vote for Best Picture of the year?
4.65%
2 votes
BLACK PANTHER
6.98%
3 votes
BLACKkKLANSMAN
4.65%
2 votes
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
25.58%
11 votes
THE FAVOURITE
13.95%
6 votes
GREEN BOOK
25.58%
11 votes
ROMA
18.60%
8 votes
A STAR IS BORN
0%
0 votes
VICE
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

What the hell are these people smoking? Without cinematography you have NO MOVIE!!!!

Fire these producers NOW!!! No host, embarrassing nominations, cutting out important awards? What a joke. I’ll probably skip this year....but still visit the chat.

I guess we don’t need the vital components to making films when there’s an opportunity in more on-air time for Drumpf jokes, huh? Imao, imagine if Blade Runner 2049 got delayed for a year and Deakins finally got his Oscar after being nominated 13 times... only for him to speak during commercial break. Award shows aren't award shows anymore, haven't been in a long time. It’s a real shame. It feels as if we're one step closer to these irrelevant meme awards not airing at all

They're just circlejerks now - they're Hollywood trying to have their equivalent of the Super Bowl to sell ads, they're infomercials for the calendar year's lineup of products, and more recently: they're annual summits on social issues. No one watches award shows anymore, the audience they used to have evaporated. The viewers they still get are those who still watch big four procedurals because they're too old & technologically out-of-touch for anything beyond terrestrial network channels, the “YAAAS QUEEN” millennial stans on Twitter, and of course: losers like us (lol).

In all seriousness, these jagoffs still posturing themselves as arbiters of culture is like a burned out Elvis Presley reaching the end of his days, still acting like this sexy superstar while his audience was nothing anymore but senior women. It's like, young trendy people don't care about you anymore. They watch puerile superhero movies and put all their trust into the opinions of some dimwit on YouTube with a wall of action figures as a backdrop doing a “Top 10 Movies of the Year” video. Hollywood is still making their money, but the old guard of middlemen have become redundant. And That's A Good Thing™
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Stars should just not show up.
I would like this to happen but I don't think it will.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...source=twitter

"The affected categories are cinematography, film editing, live-action short and makeup and hairstyling."

Embarrassing. An insult to the medium.

In defense of cinematography if they know Cuaron is winning director and cinematographer then it makes sense no need to give someone two speeches.

Remember there is also no host this year, which means no monologue and such. There should be extra time to play with.

For live TV you need a good director, not editor. But it's a good line, anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I suspect with ten days to go here, like the earlier announcements that they were adding a new "most popular film" category or that the previous year's acting winners would not be invited to present this year, this dumb and overwhelmingly unpopular idea of cutting awards will be abandoned before the broadcast.

At least they are floating these bad ideas before hand so the backlash can be responded to and the changes scrapped.

Scorsese, Tarantino, Other Filmmakers Call Academy's Oscar Plan "An Insult"
The Hollywood Reporter, February 13, 2019, Carolyn Giardina

In an open letter to the Academy, a long list of prominent filmmakers, including Oscar nominees and winners from branches including cinematographers, editors, production designers, sound and VFX, are calling for the decision to be reversed.

A lengthy list of leading filmmakers are blasting the Academy's plan to present four awards categories at the upcoming 91st Oscars during commercial breaks as "nothing less than an insult to those of us who have devoted our lives and passions to our chosen profession." They are calling for the Academy to reverse its decision.

Their remarks are part of an open letter that has been signed by such directors as Spike Lee, Martin Scorsese, and Quentino Tarantino; cinematographers including Roger Deakins, Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubeski, and Robert Richardson; editors Tom Cross, William Goldenberg, and Mary Jo Markey; and additional past and present Oscar nominees and winners from those branches and others including production design, sound, and VFX.

With the Feb. 24 awards show, set to air on ABC, just 11 days away, the Academy and the show's producers Donna Gigliotti and Glenn Weiss are now facing what is becoming an open revolt. The Academy did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

"Relegating these essential cinematic crafts to lesser status in this 91st Academy Awards ceremony is nothing less than an insult to those of us who have devoted our lives and passions to our chosen profession," the letter reads. "When the recognition of those responsible for the creation of outstanding cinema is being diminished by the very institution whose purpose it is to protect it, then we are no longer upholding the spirit of the Academy’s promise to celebrate film as a collaborative art form."

In an email to the Academy membership on Monday, Academy president John Bailey, who belongs to the cinematographers branch, laid out the plan for this year's show, including the presentation of four Oscar categories — cinematography, film editing, live-action shorts and makeup and hairstyling — during commercial breaks. (This was first announced last year but without details and specific categories.)

Bailey emphasized that the Academy is "still honoring the achievements of all 24 awards on the Oscars." In the case of the four categories that will be announced during commercial breaks, the winners' speeches will air later in the broadcast, he said. The plans call for there to be a rotation each year, meaning that at least four different categories would use this format in 2020.

The complete letter follows. Additional names will be added at filmmakers' request.

An Open Letter to The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and The Producers of the 91st Annual Academy Awards Broadcast:

On Monday, February 11, 2019, John Bailey, President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, announced that this year’s Oscar presentations for Best Cinematography — along with Film Editing, Live Action Short and Makeup and Hairstyling — will not be broadcast live, but rather presented during a commercial break. This decision was made to reduce the length of the show from four hours to three. The vocal response from our peers and the immediate backlash from industry leaders over the Academy’s decision makes it clear that it’s not too late to have this decision reversed.

The Academy was founded in 1927 to recognize and uphold excellence in the cinematic arts, inspire imagination and help connect the world through the universal medium of motion pictures.

Unfortunately, we have drifted from this mission in our pursuit of presenting entertainment rather than in presenting a celebration of our art form and the people behind it.

Relegating these essential cinematic crafts to lesser status in this 91st Academy Awards ceremony is nothing less than an insult to those of us who have devoted our lives and passions to our chosen profession.

The show’s director, Glenn Weiss, has stated that he will determine what “emotionally resonant” moments from the four winners’ speeches will be selected to air later in the broadcast. The show will cut any additional comment from presenters, as well as any recitation of the nominees as they see fit.

We consider this abbreviation and potential censorship to run contrary to the spirit of the Academy’s mission.

Since its inception, the Academy Awards telecast has been altered over time to keep the format fresh, but never by sacrificing the integrity of the Academy’s original mission.

When the recognition of those responsible for the creation of outstanding cinema is being diminished by the very institution whose purpose it is to protect it, then we are no longer upholding the spirit of the Academy’s promise to celebrate film as a collaborative art form.

To quote our colleague Seth Rogen, “What better way to celebrate achievements in film than to NOT publicly honor the people whose job it is to literally film things.”

Signed,

Cinematographers:
Dion Beebe
Bill Bennett
Roger Deakins
Peter Deming
Caleb Deschanel
Robert Elswit
Mauro Fiore
Greig Fraser
Janusz Kaminski
Ellen Kuras
Ed Lachman
Robert Legato
Emmanuel Lubezki
Anthony Dod Mantle
Seamus McGarvey
Chris Menges
Dan Mindel
Reed Morano
Rachel Morrison
Guillermo Navarro
Phedon Papamichael
Wally Pfister
Rodrigo Prieto
Robert Primes
Robert Richardson
Linus Sandgren
John Seale
Newton Thomas Sigel
Vittorio Storaro
John Toll
Hoyte van Hoytema
Kees van Oostrum
Roy Wagner

Directors:
Damien Chazelle
Cary Joji Fukunaga
Spike Jonze
Ang Lee
Spike Lee
Dee Rees
Seth Rogen
Martin Scorsese
Quentin Tarantino

Filmmakers:
Kym Barrett
Judy Becker
Alan Edward Bell
Erin Benach
Avril Beukes
Consolata Boyle
Maryann Brandon
Alexandra Byrne
Milena Canonero
Chris Corbould
Hank Corwin
Tom Cross
Nathan Crowley
Sophie De Rakoff
Chris Dickens
Bob Ducsay
Lou Eyrich
Dante Ferretti
Paul Franklin
Dana Glauberman
William Goldenberg
Affonso Goncalves
Adam Gough
Jon Gregory
Dorian Harris
Joanna Johnston
Paul Lambert
Mary Jo Markey
Joi McMillon
Ellen Mirojnick
Stephen Mirrione
Bob Murawski
John Ottman
Sandy Powell
Fred Raskin
Tatiana S. Riegel
Elísabet Ronaldsdóttir
Mayes Rubeo
Nat Sanders
J.D. Schwalm
Anna B. Sheppard
Terilyn A. Shropshire
Joan Sobel
Michael Tronick
Mark Ulano
Martin Walsh
David Wasco
Billy Weber
Julie Weiss
Michael Wilkinson
Hughes Winborne
Janty Yates

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/scorsese-tarantino-deakins-long-list-filmmakers-calling-insult-present-oscar-categories-commercial-b-1186605

The decision will be reversed in the coming days before the Oscar ceremony.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I watched Roma and thought it was very good. I certainly would not begrudge it the Oscar, although The Favourite is still my favourite.

The lead-up to the Oscars has been such a *****-show this year that I actually want them to get terrible ratings.

LOL @ people who voted for ASIB and think it will actually win as best picture

It was a good movie but that's about it. The story offered nothing new, apart from Lady Gaga, boy that lady has a good voice.

LOL @ people who voted for ASIB and think it will actually win as best picture
It's not clear that's what they're expecting at all, since every year these polls end up being half "here's what I think will want" and half "here's what I want to win."

It's between Green Book and Roma. But don't count out A Star is Born which may surprise.
I agree regarding A Star is Born...Cooper's directing snub could work in favor for the film in this category.

I agree regarding A Star is Born...Cooper's directing snub could work in favor for the film in this category.
Over the past week, I've switched my Oscar pick between GREEN BOOK and A STAR IS BORN a few times. My final bet is on A STAR IS BORN winning this. Sure it hasn't won a single award this season, but there hasn't been a consistent winner this award season for the Best Picture prize. No film is set in stone for the win. ROMA will win Foreign Language, and I don't see it winning Picture too.

Agreed, Roma won't be winning both, but if the truth be told, IMO, the best picture of the year is Green Book and if it were up to me, that's the film that would win.