True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
"I speak crazy, I'm f'n fluent."

Well, that last episode (#5) will hit you like a ton of bricks. I was lamenting the content of the previous episode and this one has almost too much going on. There a still a couple elephants in the room, but I think we are getting closer.

WARNING: spoilers below
My favorite wig in the show met the man with the milky gaze and we are inching closer to find out why she is dead. Maye related or unrelated, I think Hays has done something bad that he has forgotten about and they are using the senility angle to drop it on us.

With the knowledge gained this episode, it would seem that everything is coming in to focus, but that's not how this show seems to work. If we already know who is behind this, how the people are silenced...who is the man behind the man behind the curtain, so to speak.

I'm wondering if the cinematographer for the 3rd season is Nigel Bluck. Whoever did it has done wonderful work. I'm happy that this thread has brought up the subject of lighting/cinematography. It's importance is not credited enough.

~Doc
It's an Australian cinematographer called Germain McMicking

I'm wondering if the cinematographer for the 3rd season is Nigel Bluck. Whoever did it has done wonderful work.
It's an Australian cinematographer called Germain McMicking
Actually, Nigel Bluck (cinematographer of season 2) did film two episodes in season 3... episode 4 and 5 are not filmed by McMicking, but Bluck So you're not all the way off, Doc.

I'm happy that this thread has brought up the subject of lighting/cinematography. It's importance is not credited enough.

~Doc
The cinematography is one of my favourite aspects of cinema - not just "visuals" - but every technical part of it. Lenses used, movement/static, lights and all variations of that etc etc

And ever since working in depth with it myself, I've come to appreciate it and love it even more...

I did the lighting on this little coffee commercial here,

?fbclid=IwAR1KS1IwBe4ssP0N_y6croSOAp2rdAjkAB_YVz1bReNTgz-6IehzsObrPHs

Actually, Nigel Bluck (cinematographer of season 2) did film two episodes in season 3... episode 4 and 5 are not filmed by McMicking, but Bluck So you're not all the way off, Doc.

The cinematography is one of my favourite aspects of cinema - not just "visuals" - but every technical part of it. Lenses used, movement/static, lights and all variations of that etc etc

And ever since working in depth with it myself, I've come to appreciate it and love it even more...

?fbclid=IwAR1KS1IwBe4ssP0N_y6croSOAp2rdAjkAB_YVz1bReNTgz-6IehzsObrPHs
That's exceptional. Congratulations.

I don't recall which episode the "dust" scene was in. So was it Bluck or McMicking who did the photography? Both are obviously tremendous craftsman.

I can see that the lighter and the cinematographer have to work pretty closely together. Probably it's oftentimes the same person.

The lighting on your commercial was exceptional! Did the transfer from B&W to color present any problems? It seems to me that B&W would be easier to light than it would be to light color.

~Doc

I don't recall which episode the "dust" scene was in. So was it Bluck or McMicking who did the photography? Both are obviously tremendous craftsman.

I can see that the lighter and the cinematographer have to work pretty closely together. Probably it's oftentimes the same person.

The lighting on your commercial was exceptional! Did the transfer from B&W to color present any problems? It seems to me that B&W would be easier to light than it would be to light color.

~Doc
I think it might have been the latest episode, which episode 6. So that would be McMicking. But I’m not sure...

And yes, the DoP has tons of people around him to help and usually they are really good and knows exactly what the DoP wants.

I did all the light on myself though. No help there in any part of the proces. And yeah, it’s easier to shoot B&W. You have greater control and can really make the contrast pop. We had a monitor set to B&W the whole time so I could see exactly how it would look it the final product... When we shot the color screen we switched it to color and switched it back and forth too so it looked good in both when the transition came. And that switch from B&W to color was a planned thing so we knew exactly what we wanted and was going for. I was never completely satisfied with the lighting in the color scene though...

*fun fact: the rain seen on the face in the start and the window in the end was also me. I was standing with a juice bottle pouring water down this indoor set haha. A mess and hard as hell but worth it!

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
WARNING: "Cuz I didn't pick up on this stuff on my own" spoilers below

- The landscaper at the nun's home for girls is the "Star Wars" kid they interviewed back in the day

- Lucy Purcell's friend is always around, but never does anything. Seems like she is a point (wo)man between parties in the conspiracy.

- I really think the twist is gonna be that Wayne already figured out the crime before his mind went. In addition, his wife (yeah this is a stretch) may have been involved and this where her (still unexplained) death came from.

*fun fact: the rain seen on the face in the start and the window in the end was also me. I was standing with a juice bottle pouring water down this indoor set haha. A mess and hard as hell but worth it!
Nice work. I like the last color scene where Jimi Hendrix is in the background with his frizzy hair, while the lady in the foreground has droopy wet hair.

I take it you live in Denmark?

Nice work. I like the last color scene where Jimi Hendrix is in the background with his frizzy hair, while the lady in the foreground has droopy wet hair.

I take it you live in Denmark?
I do, yes.

That is to say projects that you've worked on.
This is an older project, before I learned everything in depth. But it still holds up I think and we hit something special with it even so.

We were supposed to make a music video and some of us wanted to take an “untraditional approach” to the subject, so we chose to do a “music video” or more of visual realization of Tchaikovsky’s “Swan Lake” and our interpretation of the music when we hear it, through imagery...

I was cameraman and director on this.

Watched the 7th episode last night, and it's tricky to keep all the timelines and details straight. I'm a little confused. But hopefully it'll all wrap up in a nice tidy ending next week.

Pizzolatto and Milch have done a good creative job of writing the third season. IMO it's better to save up a few episodes, then watch them sequentially in order to keep all the details straight.

That Steven Dorff has a lot of charisma. I think we'll be seeing a good deal more of him.

~Doc

The Adventure Starts Here!
I love that I'm still not quite sure how they're going to tie everything together in the one episode that remains... because that means I'm probably going to thoroughly enjoy every minute of it. And once it's all tied together, I'm thinking a rewatch will be lots of fun because then I'll see all those little loose ends that I should have caught the first time through.

It's an ugly story, deep down, with probably way too many points where it hits close to reality, but it's a beautifully told ugly story.

I love that I'm still not quite sure how they're going to tie everything together in the one episode that remains... because that means I'm probably going to thoroughly enjoy every minute of it. And once it's all tied together, I'm thinking a rewatch will be lots of fun because then I'll see all those little loose ends that I should have caught the first time through.

It's an ugly story, deep down, with probably way too many points where it hits close to reality, but it's a beautifully told ugly story.
Yeah, I definitely feel like a rewatch would do wonders. Sometimes there’s been almost two weeks between me watching and episode and with a show like this that just doesn’t work. I wish it would have released like a Netflix series with all of them at once. Having to wait a week takes you a bit out the story.

It’s so strange only one episode remains... makes you think it might be 1 hour 30 like the season finale of season 2...

I just finished episode 6. I love the story, the acting, and all of the technical aspects. My only issue, and it's a significant one, is that it grinds to a halt for me whenever it goes to the third timeline. As of now, I would love the show more if it didn't exist.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Which one? The most current of the three? Why don't you like it? It's sort of the baseline/framework for telling the story. And it presents its own issues with Wayne's memory issues. I like the layers it adds.