True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

I'm loving it so far. Just watched Episode 3 and it was great. Ali is indeed great in this version of TD as is Dorff. And I'm with doubledenim on what a heart breaker Carmen Ejogo is, wigs, no wigs, whatever...wow! Oh yeah, she can act, too! I agree with the feel of the piece being like Season 1. At first I was not sure how I would like the skipping across three time frames but I'm already comfortable with it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I also watched those first two episodes...

I’m glad to see that the style, feeling, atmosphere and general approach seems to be back to its old ways. It’s obviously miles better than the second season.

That said, I feel like it’s an extremely pretty and professional looking but slightly hollow shell we are looking at. The characters and especially the story doesn’t seem to have the same amount of depth and precisely layed out arcs and inner demons and whatnot. This is the first two episodes so obviously I can only judge from those, but there just seems to be something missing under the surface - however that surface might look (and it is extremely competent)

Maharshala Ali is extraordinary though and perfect cast. He adds the depth through his acting alone, no matter the written character. Stephen Dorff is a bit one-note and it’s clear to see his characters “place” in this next to Ali. But hopefully he’ll evolve as we go.

The aging make-up is indeed really good, but I was able to clearly see where the make-up started and ended. The patching on his forehead and around the eyes etc. I guess that’s the price we pay for having those amazing tv screens and top notch quality... it really puts weight on those make-up artists and set designers.

Anyways, I’m excited. I really enjoy what I see so far. Even if it stays maybe a little too close to the formula of the first season. It may somewhat be a copy. But what a beautiful copy. Let’s see where this goes...
Agree with a lot of this. I think what's missing is the extraordinary character or Rustin Cohl, masterfully personified by Matthew McConaughey. I think that's going to be a tough act to follow for any True Detective series.

I like that we are skipping between time again just like S1, they've even added a couple of extra layers with 3 distinct time periods and an old detectives race against dementia.

I felt having the dolls or serial killer trinkets was maybe a bit much of a copy from s1 but lets wait and see what going on there.

All that being said I'm hooked and cant wait to see this play out, dramatic improvement on s2.

Wild Prediction;

WARNING: "daft suggestion" spoilers below
The young girl killed her brother, there is no serial killer this time.

I'm loving it so far. Just watched Episode 3 and it was great. Ali is indeed great in this version of TD as is Dorff. And I'm with doubledenim on what a heart breaker Carmen Ejogo is, wigs, no wigs, whatever...wow! Oh yeah, she can act, too! I agree with the feel of the piece being like Season 1. At first I was not sure how I would like the skipping across three time frames but I'm already comfortable with it.
This season is really great. And I concur about the lovely Carmen.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, I wouldn't mind more discussion here of this third season. I'm excited that there are only two more episodes because I'm now extremely curious about where they're going with this. I'm convinced that the man Hays and West beat up in 1980 and tossed in a trunk is dead and that's what they keep referring to as "what we done." Not sure if it's just a stray side plot point that has clouded their judgment and lives since then or if it'll tie together at all with the main storyline. I'm guessing the latter.

This season's choices about how and when to reveal little bits of plot has been stellar and I'm thoroughly enjoying every episode.

I'm a little behind on it, currently catching up...

I am liking it more the more I see. But one thing I absolutely adore is the lighting. It is beautifully lit. So gorgeous to look at, the warmly tinted colors often paired with a bit of blue. And the way it adds contrast and depth to the characters and settings is very, very impressive. Honestly, it looks better than season 1. I've worked with lighting myself and the cinematographer is truly gifted. '

Anyways, I'm watching episode 5 now. 4 ended on quite the cliffhanger... I'm looking forward to it.

But one thing I absolutely adore is the lighting. It is beautifully lit. So gorgeous to look at, the warmly tinted colors often paired with a bit of blue. And the way it adds contrast and depth to the characters and settings is very, very impressive. Honestly, it looks better than season 1. I've worked with lighting myself and the cinematographer is truly gifted. '
Yup. It is a great looking show.

Indeed.

If you take this for example. A lighting set-up used a lot throughout the show...

You got a highlighted side of Mahershala Ali's face, which almost burns out but makes for a nice contrast to the rest of the gradation of the light. After that, the light gives a few softer highlights on his more pronounced areas, like his nose and forehead, and then the gradation becomes much faster and heavier, but still with a small but prominent Rembrandt triangle on his left eye, so his expression doesn't disappear. His hair is lit nicely too and there's actually a tiny backlight making sure his left side, especially the suit, doesn't disappear completely.

The light on Carmen Ejogo also has a nice, long gradation leaving her clothing intact all the way and with her face still having a darker side and with the nose shadow kept minimal.

Beautiful.

And this set-up is kept as a fundament throughout most of the show, like seen here:
more images  

- And it was hard to find a proper image for it, but I really love the warm tones with a smal amount of blue. It's often used at the night scenes, when the characters are indoors in warm, tungsten, yellowish light and then the moonlight from the outside shines in.
kind of like this scene  

Indeed.

If you take this for example. A lighting set-up used a lot throughout the show...

You got a highlighted side of Mahershala Ali's face, which almost burns out but makes for a nice contrast to the rest of the gradation of the light. After that, the light gives a few softer highlights on his more pronounced areas, like his nose and forehead, and then the gradation becomes much faster and heavier, but still with a small but prominent Rembrandt triangle on his left eye, so his expression doesn't disappear. His hair is lit nicely too and there's actually a tiny backlight making sure his left side, especially the suit, doesn't disappear completely.

The light on Carmen Ejogo also has a nice, long gradation leaving her clothing intact all the way and with her face still having a darker side and with the nose shadow kept minimal.

Beautiful.

And this set-up is kept as a fundament throughout most of the show, like seen here:
more images  

- And it was hard to find a proper image for it, but I really love the warm tones with a smal amount of blue. It's often used at the night scenes, when the characters are indoors in warm, tungsten, yellowish light and then the moonlight from the outside shines in.
kind of like this scene  
Great insight into the photography thought process there. Cheers.

I loved the shot where old Hays took a drive in the middle of the night and got out of the car. That was gorgeously shot.

Ok, this lighting is just insane.

Ah yes, beautiful.

And there are several scenes shot outside where they have immense control over the light. That isn’t easy to do. You gotta shoot at the right time, from the right angle with the right set up etc etc. and they really master it well...

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

I've said it before Leo , your gifs are awesome! I couldn't get enough of that scene.

I've haven't watched e4 yet. I can't imagine that door gets opened, but if it does...

Loved the first episode of the third season but the second and third one we're boring as hell. Going to just binge watch it when the whole thing comes out figuring it hopefully picked up afterwards.

Season one was excellent for the entertaining fillers aside from the main story - Russ's philosophies, Marty being Marty, and sudden impactful action like that 15 minute unedited scene in episode 2 (or was it 3?) when Russ was trying to escape with a suspect. The case in season 3 reminds of the HBO documentaries Paradise Lost, but the romance angle with his wife's a drag. They should have done something like flashbacks to his time fighting in Vietnam.

Loved the first episode of the third season but the second and third one we're boring as hell. Going to just binge watch it when the whole thing comes out figuring it hopefully picked up afterwards.

Season one was excellent for the entertaining fillers aside from the main story - Russ's philosophies, Marty being Marty, and sudden impactful action like that 15 minute unedited scene in episode 2 (or was it 3?) when Russ was trying to escape with a suspect. The case in season 3 reminds of the HBO documentaries Paradise Lost, but the romance angle with his wife's a drag. They should have done something like flashbacks to his time fighting in Vietnam.
The one-take was in episode 4 actually, “Who goes there?”

And it does kinda pick up in so 4 and especially 5. But though it has an atmosphere alike the one in season 1, it’s a different kind of vibe. It is a slow burner but I like it.

It's not really a romance angle, to spice the show up. It's an important part of how a case like this can destroy not only the lives of the victims of the crime, but also the law enforcement officers investigating it too. Plus it looks like his wife is going to be heavily invovled in the main plot in the last 2 episodes.

I agree about Paradise Lost though. What a documentary trilogy that was.

I don't see it as slow at all. Every episode has been absolutely riveting. At this point, if the last 2 episodes are 8 or 9 out of 10s then I think it is heading towards being as good as Season 1.

I love it, love spending time with the characters. I could watch'em buy groceries to be honest. Oh wait...

Ok, this lighting is just insane.

I agree. When it was shown in the film, it was very impressive. Great cinematography. It reminded of me of the iconic ending scene in 1955's The Big Combo, where the great cinematographer John Alton framed Cornell Wilde and Jean Wallace against the fog at an airport (ala Casablanca):

I'm wondering if the cinematographer for the 3rd season is Nigel Bluck. Whoever did it has done wonderful work. I'm happy that this thread has brought up the subject of lighting/cinematography. It's importance is not credited enough.

~Doc