Cults---do you know anyone associated with them ?

Tools    

Feel free to talk about people you know associated with cults . The more bizarre their behaviour more interesting it will be to read .

I have a relative who is part of a hindu cult that worships fire . The cult is the agnihotra cult . agni means fire . He lights the sacred fire in a copper vessel along with chanting of religious mantras every morning at sunrise and every evening at sunset . Before that he cleans himself by bathing , a tough chore in winter when the air is cold in the morning before sunrise .

Anybody dismissing all this as mumbo jumbo get a royal verbal lambasting from him , as several people with bruised egos have discovered . He is a temperamental person who goes into terrible fits of rage if anyone says anything negative about his beloved agnihotra .

I myself belong to a cult. But I am not saying which one.

I've been called a cult a few times. At least I think that's what they said.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tom Cruise, John Travolta

I have a relative who is part of a hindu cult that worships fire .
Interesting that there seems to be a link back to Zoroastrianism with this fire worship.

Feel free to talk about people you know...
The lady at the grocery store is always really nice and ask me, 'if I found everything OK.' I always smile and say, 'yes', even though one time I couldn't find the deodorant. She probably knew that already though.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Feel free to talk about people you know associated with cults . The more bizarre their behaviour more interesting it will be to read .

I have a relative who is part of a hindu cult that worships fire . The cult is the agnihotra cult . agni means fire . He lights the sacred fire in a copper vessel along with chanting of religious mantras every morning at sunrise and every evening at sunset . Before that he cleans himself by bathing , a tough chore in winter when the air is cold in the morning before sunrise .

Anybody dismissing all this as mumbo jumbo get a royal verbal lambasting from him , as several people with bruised egos have discovered . He is a temperamental person who goes into terrible fits of rage if anyone says anything negative about his beloved agnihotra .

I had a friend who joined the seven tribes of israel.. i thought he was joking - we had been talking about the ted bundy stuff on TV, but he seemed like the last guy to do that, especially at 49 yrs of age... He left of course, despite me telling him it'd be a slave-labor camp with a bunch of weird religious junk.

The most dangerous cult is the Cult of Hate. People join that cult when they give hate free reign of their mind, body and soul. Before long they can't escape because the only comfort they have is hating others, especially those different than themselves. The Cult of Hate is growing...don't join it, by giving in to hate.

The most dangerous cult is the Cult of Hate. People join that cult when they give hate free reign of their mind, body and soul. Before long they can't escape because the only comfort they have is hating others, especially those different than themselves. The Cult of Hate is growing...don't join it, by giving in to hate.
I hate those guys

This site is a cult!

But seriously, when I was a teenager my mom invited a young girl who was a "Moonie" to dinner (apparently they met when the girl came to the door, proselytizing I guess? I'll have to ask to get the full details - if my mom remembers.)

Anyway, we weren't able to "deprogram" her, but gave her some things to think about.

Is that from the original Dr. Who?

This site is a cult!

But seriously, when I was a teenager my mom invited a young girl who was a "Moonie" to dinner (apparently they met when the girl came to the door, proselytizing I guess? I'll have to ask to get the full details - if my mom remembers.)

Anyway, we weren't able to "deprogram" her, but gave her some things to think about.
All out of LSD? That and Timothy Leary might have worked on her

I do not think there exists a very clear distinction between a cult, organized religion, club centered on a hobby and even professional association. Everything involving asssociation can be called a cult if people in the association take it seriously enough.

I am thinking of joining a new cult along with my secret one. Anyone can join really, coz everyone knows about it. Membership forms are available at every liquor store.

Its called "Evil Scotch Connoisseurs".

Is that from the original Dr. Who?
It is mate, yeah, from The Power of the Daleks (1966), Patrick Troughton's first story. They're actually toys, which accounts for why the shape doesn't conform to the full size ones . A bit like the way we had orange-handled 'lightsabers' growing up that were nothing like the type seen on screen .

I've been called a cult a few times. At least I think that's what they said.

Heh heh. I probably shouldn't encourage you, chyp, but very funny. At least they didn't call you a deciduous cult.