Horror Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Pulse (2001) - Kiyoshi Kurosawa

- I see this movie 1 time like 3 or 4 years ago so I was glad to finally rewatching it because I remember liking it very much and yet again I wasn't wrong. I mean the storyline is so good and original + the actor are convincing and very good in my opinion. The mood and tone of the movie collide with the dark theme of it which is a very good point for me. Great direction also the movie shine by his style and work of camera. Definitely a movie I'll rewatch and buy one day for my horror collection. Nice ending also.
+

Macabre: The story wasn't horrible, the dynamic between the young people was alright even though they seemed like cliché uninteresting people. However when the super gory stuff happened I disliked it. I just don't like to see a person throwing a knife around at someone else, it's profoundly unpleasant to me and I don't see the artistic merit in that. Most of the film is this very raw and unpleasant violence which doesn't interest me at all. I was debating whether I would call this movie repugnant, but I decided not to because I could imagine someone enjoying the thrill without being a psychopat.

The Autopsy of Jane Doe: I enjoyed the first half of the film where they were trying to understand what the body was. It was more scientific and based on reason then on supernatural explanations. I like Emile Hirsch and Brian Cox and their interaction were pleasant to watch. I started to enjoy the film less in the second part of it because of all the supernatural stuff which doesn't scare me at all.

I generally dislike horror movies that appeal to supernatural elements in order to generate fear in spectators. The reason is that I believe that it is very unlikely that supernatural occurrences exist and in order to scare me I have to feel that what happens to the characters in the film could happen to me. For me it's quite impossible with supernatural stuff. So overall I enjoyed The Autopsy of Jane Doe even though I would have prefered if she wasn't a ''real'' witch, it would have been better if she didn't actually have powers.

The Amityville Horror: It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. The positive is that the film is entertaining, it has beautiful women, sometime we see some boobs, etc. Very fun to watch haha. However, it didn't really scare me and nothing really stood up for me. I saw the movie on friday and I already forgot most of it, one of the most forgettable movies I've ever seen haha.

I still would like to point out something I think I misunderstood toward the ending. The dad was becoming dangerous and was attacking his familly. Suddenly he gains his spirits back and helps his family escape the house. They go in the car in order to leave, but he stops because one of his children asks about the dog and he goes back in the house searching for the dog. Why would he do that? There's certainly something I didn't understand that explains that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Amityville Horror: It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. The positive is that the film is entertaining, it has beautiful women, sometime we see some boobs, etc.
My favourite review ever.

As for the dog. Some people consider dogs part of the family. So it’d be like leaving a kid behind.

Pulse (2001)
Chosen by pahaK

Set in Tokyo, some young Japanese friends get dragged into an inter-dimensional realm dealing with ghosts and themes of seclusion. The prevailing effect that struck me was the unusual sound design, combined with the Asian culture that I don't understand all that well really. Majorly audio driven for lots of the film, druggy sound effects and transitions. The main characters are a guy named Kawashima and a girl named Harue, and much of the story takes place in their apartments, the library, the train station, and around the city. The girl who plays Harue, I recognized her. Then it came to me. The actress' name is Koyuki, I knew her bc she played the woman who shamefully has to take in Tom Cruise into her household in the film The Last Samurai (2003). She's a very attractive woman, everyone's been talking about Margot Kidder's boobs from my movie in here, although I prefer Koyuki actually, there's something about her "look" and attitude that appeals beyond culture lines and I recalled that from seeing the previous movie. This Pulse film doesn't particularly showcase her anywhere near as much tho, as this is one grim and joyless viewing and doesn't put her in as great a light. The movie doesn't appeal to my preferences, with self-destructive designs to say the least, yet at the same time there's direct link-ups to what we're all doing here that I see where pahaK is coming from with this movie. It's an interesting choice, there's even a humor in it almost at times with how downright dismal it is, one eff-ed up movie. I listened to the soundtrack from "The Last Samurai" while writing this to revive myself again after the blackness that is Pulse.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulse.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	51480  

Tried watching Pulse on my Android box. Got some movie from 1988 starring Matthew Lawrence.

Finally found the one I’m looking for....no subs. I’m having no luck with these foreign films.

Edit: YouTube is more reliable. Dammit. Watching now.

Pulse

Ghosts are entering our world. They're trying to escape the emptiness of the afterlife, but end up bringing with them so much despair that the living kill themselves.

Pulse tries to be more than a horror film as it deals with depression and suicide. Two heavy themes to be looking at through a genre that usually gets made fun of. Yet Pulse manages to look inside these two elements with a careful hand. It forgoes the "SCARY" and strives for something more, offering the viewer an elevated art form. It also dives into how much of a cultural impact technology is having on the social structure. We are all connected, but we've never felt more apart. This still rings true today with things like Facebook. I personally have hundreds of friends on facebook, but if I would delete the ones I never talk to, or don't even consider my friends, that number would be much smaller. Technology on the surface looks to be bringing us together, but it is actually tearing us apart.

That's all good, but this is a Horror HoF and I felt like Pulse had no pulse. Now, there were some genuine moments that are uneasy, specifically when we see images of people walking awkwardly towards us, or the two words Help Me over and over again with no clear visual representation of who or what is saying this. These elements work, but the film is almost 2 hours long and these moments are few and far between.

It doesn't help that Asian horror films are working on another level when it comes to acting. The over the top performances in a lot of these movies take me out of the moment. One scene in particular is when one character climbs over a couch to get away from the oncoming ghost, only to scream when she reaches over the top. This scene was only half affective. The ghost part was great, works really well, his response to the ghost wasn't. Also, some of the funniest rear view projection for driving I've ever seen. Those bus scenes are so laughably bad.

Some shoddy effects hurt the picture too and when dealing with technology as much as this film does, you can feel that it is dated. I recently watched Friend Request, which deals with witch craft and the internet and I mentioned how the digital horror scene doesn't really work for me. Pulse is one of the better attempts.

Suspect's Reviews

It's been five days since I notified @CiCi and there's been no reply (sent two PMs actually, last one two days ago) and last forum activity has been 17 days ago. Therefore I'm disqualifying CiCi's nomination The Descent (such a shame as it was one of the biggest favorites to win).

When is the deadline?
From the opening post: All ballots must be received by 12:00 midnight (Pacific Time) the night of Saturday, February 16th 2019. I won't be too stingy about the actual hour (partly because it may be a bit problematic time for me due to different time zones) so I'll accept all the votes that arrive during my Sunday (which is about 12 hours longer than the mentioned deadline).

eXistenZ

Saw this once before but couldn't remember much. It came back to me as I watched and I think I liked it a little more this time. It reeks of Cronenberg and that's certainly a good thing. It's not the type of story that normally interests me but it's executed well. The cast and the effects are good. It's a tight movie and an easy watch. I don't know if I'd consider it horror but there are elements. It was pretty good.

It's been five days since I notified @CiCi and there's been no reply (sent two PMs actually, last one two days ago) and last forum activity has been 17 days ago. Therefore I'm disqualifying CiCi's nomination The Descent (such a shame as it was one of the biggest favorites to win).
I predicted this was going to win. Shame CiCi is MIA, anyone know where he may be?

With approximately one week left here's the current situation.

pahaK - 9/9 VOTED
Siddon - 9/9 VOTED
cricket - 9/9 VOTED
the samoan lawyer - 9/9 VOTED

@Derek Vinyard - 6/8 (Hour of the Wolf & Macabre)

@Nostromo87 - 4/8 (The Amityville Horror, Ginger Snaps, Macabre & The Autopsy of Jane Doe)

@TheUsualSuspect - 5/8 (Hour of the Wolf, Deep Red & Ginger Snaps)

@Pussy Galore - 5/8 (eXistenZ, Ginger Snaps & Pulse)

Hopefully everyone is able to finish in time

The Autopsy Of Jane Doe (2016)
Derek Vinyard's Choice

A girl buried in the dirt under a house's finally found, and taken to a mortuary in Grantham, Virginia. There she is autopsied for cause of death by Brian Cox the coroner and his son Austin (Emile Hirsch). Austin skips out on a date-night with his girlfriend to help his dad with this girl who's been brought into the crematory. The movie sets an effective trap with the science terminology angle up front to establish a sense of reality, then deftly flips the supernatural symbols switch on the viewer- A triangular onslaught of science, religion, and superstition. There's some extremely gruesome and macabre subject matter, rather graphic imagery, even more strange however, were some shots of the girl's icy-cloudy eyes as she was examined. Eerie, frankly. Also, something that can be very effective in this kind of movie, a well-placed silence. That can work really well and it did here. There's a lot more too, with themes of witchcraft and torture. I thought it was also a very deeply sad movie to watch, which means the story and characters both worked together. Some of you watch some sick shii! Derek Vinyard Good Grief! Final thought- Effectively eerie.

Attachments

Name:	autjdo.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	51586  

Macabre (2009) - Kimo Stamboel, Timo Tjahjanto

- I love it. it's just raw, violent a pure godd*mn blood bath. If you doesn't know it yet I'm a huge fan of extreme cinema and this movie I love the storyline which is a thing I don't really care usually about extreme cinema. Actors are nice, direction is sweet and weird in a good way. Atmoshpere's alright and score is decent. I was entertain in the whole way and the ending is awessssssommeee. I like this nomination a lot (this is gonna be a hard decision for the entire voting process of this HoF).

Macabre (2009)
Selection by cricket

Roadtrip flick featuring newly weds Adije and Astrid (pregnant) and their naive friends who are heading to Jakarta, wherever the hell that is. After leaving a bar, they cross a strange girl, Maya, wandering in the rain, and pick her up. The group drives Maya to her home, and there they meet a guy named Adam and "the mother" Dara, who serve them dinner, as the story turns into an Indonesian-variant Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with MORE splatter, carnage and all manner of torture and ferocity. The childbirth tension adds an extra dimension to the film. A sense of mystery surrounds Dara and her protégés, their photos from 1889 turn up when some cops search their place, over 100 years later and their appearance generally hasn't changed. Though we don't find out exactly quite what they are, the implication's that they're eternal creatures. Bring in the chainsaws, samurai blades, and crossbows. A night hanging out with the entertainment brand that is cricket. Final thought- Intensely tame.

Attachments

Name:	Macabre.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	51647  

Something I forgot to say, The Dara mistress lady from Macabre, bigtime CHEESIN' game f'real.

Hour of the Wolf

While I appreciate the artistic merit of the film, I couldn't help but be bored by a lot of it. This is my first Bergman film and despite my disappointment with it, I'm sure I'll watch more from the filmmaker in the future.

Less of a horror film in the classic sense and more of a insight into the continuing deprived mind of madness. Some really nice shots in the film and the black and white adds to the ambiance. Ultimately, I feel like I need to give this another chance at another time. I might chalk this one up to maybe simply not being in the mood.

It was interesting see Max Von Sydow as a younger man, I've only ever seen the man as his current old self.