Willem Dafoe, AT ETERNITY'S GATE
40.00%
8 votes
Rami Malek, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
20.00%
4 votes
Viggo Mortensen, GREEN BOOK
20 votes. You may not vote on this poll

One of these men is Oscar's next Best Actor...

Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity's Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bale will win this. Rami Malek would be a pleasant surprise. I'll be rooting for him (Malek).

Poor Bradley. This was supposed to be his year.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Voted Cooper. Haven't seen Bale or Defoe. This group is weak to me. Washington, Hawke, Redfor, Phoenix stock out much more for me than this batch.

Washington, Hawke, [Redford], Phoenix [stood] out much more for me than this batch.
Denzel Washington? In what, The Equalizer 2?

Probably John David Washington in Black Klansman.

Denzel Washington? In what, The Equalizer 2?

his son was in Black Klansman and yeah he would be in my five
  1. Diggs (Blindspotting)
  2. Cooper (A Star is Born)
  3. Washington (BlackKKlasman)
  4. Hawke (First Reformed)
  5. Gleeson (The Little Stranger)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Only seen Cooper and Malek so far, both good and would be worthy winners. Kind of rooting for Cooper since he was snubbed for best director.

It's a little disheartening to see the same films crop up in all categories, there must be good but underseen performances in other films out this year.

Poor Rami Malek did a good job, but the movie is so horrible you cannot enjoy his performance well. And he was bad casting choice, too thin and short to play Freddie

Had no clue why pundits suddenly latched to Bale for SAG, reeked of wishful thinking. Is it because he won Critics' Choice after the Globe?

BAFTA won't make a difference either way: unless the ghost of Freddie Mercury returns and gives an interview against him, then I think It's safe to say Malek has this locked.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

It sure looks like Rami has the momentum going into the Academy Awards. I haven't seen Vice yet, so I can't really judge Bale on his performance, but he's won several awards. I still think Bradley Cooper was ripped off from winning any major awards this season so far. It must really suck for him. I'd be pissed if I were in his shoes.

Bale, end of story. Although I did enjoy Defoe, but the movie was a bit up in the air and boring.

Some established veterans and one Oscar newcomer in this category, and the newbie has the edge.

Viggo Mortensen has been at this for quite a while now. From his first big screen appearance in Peter Weir's Witness to the Lord of the Rings megablockbusters he has always been an interesting presence. Green Book is his third nomination as Best Actor, following his tattooed Russian gangster in Eastern Promises (Daniel Day-Lewis won for There Will Be Blood) and two years ago as the unconventional father in Captain Fantastic (Casey Affleck won for Manchester by the Sea). He won't win here either, though his performance as the boisterous, uncouth, and honorable driver Tony Lip is a more energetic and gregarious role than the quiet brooders he usually tackles.

Willem Dafoe has three previous nominations, all as Best Supporting Actor. His first was for his benevolent Sergeant Elias in Platoon (Michael Caine won for Hannah & Her Sisters), then as the mysterious "actor" Max Schreck in Shadow of the Vampire (Benicio Del Toro won for Traffic), and just last year as the empathetic motel manager in The Florida Project (Sam Rockwell won for Three Billboards). His first Best Actor nod is the second such nomination for playing Vincent Van Gogh: Kirk Douglas was acknowledged for playing Vince in Lust for Life at the 1957 ceremony. Yul Brenner won for The King & I, and Kirk's co-star Anthony Quinn won Best Supporting Actor for his Paul Gauguin. Van Gogh has been portrayed several times over the years, including Tim Roth in Bob Altman's Vincent & Theo and even by Martin Scorsese acting in Kurosawa's Dreams. The famous and famously tortured genius will likely be the subject of novels and cinema forever. Dafoe, as always, is excellent as Julian Schnabel's Vincent in At Eternity's Gate. It won't be enough to win, but as one of my favorite actors it is wonderful to see him getting regular Oscar attention these days. He'll win one eventually, though he has a much better chance in the Supporting category, methinks.

Christian Bale is the only one of these five who is already an Oscar winner, having taken home the Best Supporting Actor trophy for David O. Russell's The Fighter. His other two nominations were Supporting Actor in McKay's The Big Short (Mark Rylance won for Bridge of Spies) and Best Actor in David O. Russell's American Hustle (McConaughey won for Dallas Buyers Club). His transformation into Dick Cheney is impressive, aided by a real life weight gain and a lot of prosthetics. He certainly captured Cheney's still, measured, low-key, undynamic effectiveness in making very dynamic things happen in the corridors of power. Ultimately Vice is not as interesting or creative a film as The Big Short. Bale is very good - when isn't he? - but I don't think it is enough to win his second Oscar. Obviously portrayals of real life politicians have won in this category before, including recently with Daniel Day-Lewis as Abe Lincoln and Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill (and folks, THAT may be the only time outside of an Alex Jones rant where Lincoln, Churchill, and Dick Cheney are mentioned together), but I don't think this is a campaign that can be won.

The 44-year-old Bradley Cooper was building his career nicely with supporting roles in comedies like Wedding Crashers and Failure to Launch and on TV in "Alias". But he emerged from 2009's surprise blockbuster The Hangover on the fast track to movie stardom. He took the paycheck to be in some more blockbusters like The A-Team, the inevitable Hangover sequels, and voicing Rocket in the Guardians of the Galaxy corner of the Marvel Universe, but it was clear he was at least as interested if not more in working with top filmmakers on good scripts. Derek Cianfrance's A Place Beyond the Pines, David O. Russell's Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, and Joy, and Eastwood's American Sniper and The Mule are what he leveraged his newfound bankability to become part of. He got Oscar nominations three years in a row for Silver Lining Playbook (Daniel Day-Lewis won for Lincoln), American Hustle (Jared Leto won for Dallas Buyers Club), and American Sniper (Eddie Redmayne won for The Theory of Everything).

The latest re-make of A Star is Born had been kicking around for a few years. Eastwood was attached to direct with Beyoncé and Bradley Cooper in the leads. Ms. Knowles' schedule kept delaying a start time, and Eastwood always had another project to do. Eventually Cooper convinced the producers and studio that he wanted to take a crack at the script and make his directorial debut while still starring. The result is pretty damn great, especially for a first time filmmaker. Somehow Bradley Cooper did not make the cut in the Best Director category, but the film got a Best Picture nod, Cooper a nod for co-adapting the screenplay, and on the acting side he guided salty veteran Sam Elliott, first time dramatic actor Lady Gaga, and himself to acting nominations.

I thought Cooper was fantastic, his best performance to date as the self-destructive Jackson Maine. It calls to mind other Best Actor winning performances of alcoholic fictional musicians: Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart and Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies. As with two of the previous three versions of A Star is Born, the leading man got a Best Actor nomination, following Fredric March and James Mason in the 1937 and 1954 versions as actor Norman Maine. Both lost their Academy Award bids, March to Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous and Mason to Brando for On the Waterfront. I would love to see Bradley Cooper win, but if he does it'll be an upset.

Rami Malek is the overwhelming favorite. He has won so many awards leading into the Oscars, including the Golden Globe and SAG, that it would be a mild shock not to hear his name called to the Academy stage, too. From the first couple stills that emerged from the Bohemian Rhapsody production it was clear Malek had absolutely nailed the physical transformation into the late Freddie Mercury, with some false choppers to mimic Freddie's trademark overbite topping it off. We didn't know what the film would be yet, but if nothing else he could win an awful lot of costume contests around Halloween. The 37-year-old Rami had never really come close to starring a film before, but he was putting in the work and when he got the starring role in USA Network's "Mr. Robot" he drew the spotlight instantly, including at the Golden Globes where he got two nominations for the show and The Emmys where he won Best Actor in a Drama Series.

The Queen biopic project had been bouncing around town for a while, initially with a script by Peter Morgan (The Queen, Frost/Nixon, "The Crown") and Sacha Baron Cohen to star as Mercury. But the band had creative control over the movie, and while Cohen wanted to dive in to a serious and gritty look at Mercury's remarkable if short life, Brian May and the band wanted a PG-rated crowd-pleaser about the rise of Queen. After Sacha left the project Ben Whishaw was attached, then some rumors that Cohen might still do it after all, before a new script was written and Malek secured the role...some five years after the original announcement of the project. The drama behind the scenes continued with director Bryan Singer abruptly leaving/being fired/whatever actually happened ahead of his sexual assault allegations becoming public in the Me-Too media swell, with former actor Dexter Fletcher assuming the rest of the directorial duties.

Even with all of that drama the movie was a box office success, if less so critically (currently sitting at 61% on the Tomatometer). Whatever flaws the film or Malek's more-of-an-impression-than-a-performance may have, he is the front runner. Far and away. There is no doubt Rami's commitment was sincere and he clearly spent countless hours absorbing Freddie Mercury's work and essence, and in the press for this film and his previous acceptance speeches he has always come off as humble and genuinely appreciative. Like Jamie Foxx's Ray Charles and Cagney's George M. Cohen, this portrayal of a real-life music superstar seems destined for Oscar gold. I wouldn't vote for it, but I think Malek can safely start deciding where he wants to display the trophy in his home.