Garden State

→ in
Tools    

my apologies if there is a thread already started about this film, but i did take the time to look...and unless im really stupid i couldnt find one...but i enjoyed this movie so much i felt the need to post a thread anyways...because i'd like to know some of your opinions about it...me and 2 of my closest friends have been trying to see this film for about 3 weeks now...but unfortunately things kept getting in the way, and it was only playing at 1 theater (a great inconvience)..well long story short, we feel finally got to go and see it last night, and i was so glad we did...this film had some amazing elements and i absolutely loved it. such a great debut film from a great actor on a decent show, but the fact that Zach Bruff, directed, wrote and starred in this film was amazing to me. He had an incredible vision, and i loved how unique this story was...this film was oozing with symbolism and some incredible dialogue scenes that you can lose yourself in...i have always found it hard find and truly love when i can find a film that had some straight dialogue scenes that you were actually captivated by. just the overall message of this film, the script, the cast, the camera work, the music!, all incredibly done...A+ in my books...lets get some other opinions in here.

We're no longer called Sonic Death Monkey. We're on the verge of becoming Kathleen Turner Overdrive, but just for tonight, we are Barry Jive and his Uptown Five. -Jack Black (High Fidelity)

An amazing movie. It didn't have to hit you over the head with every point it was tryng to make, you just had to sit down and shut up and listen. It was nice to see a movie done like this, it was original and refreshing. Amazing directing and acting I thought as well. Plus I am a sucker for Natalie Portman as well so I am biased there. But a great soundtrack as you pointed out, a lot of great songs that you don't here very often. Has anyone seen this movie and not liked it?

Even though it appears marlowe203 and I are the only ones to see this movie I thought I would still go ahead and post Zack Braff's Garden State Blog site here... http://gardenstate.typepad.com/ For those who don't know Zack Braff wrote/directed/acted in the movie and he is also on the show scrubs. He writes posts on the Blog and they are usually funny. Give it a whirl.

Originally Posted by scissorhands85
Even though it appears marlowe203 and I are the only ones to see this movie...
I saw Garden State months ago (it was released in August). I liked it OK, and it was a good debut for a young first-time writer/director. But it's not great. It tries too hard and falls into the traps of a young writer overreaching and being quirky for the sake of being quirky rather than having faith in real characters and subtlty. But, as a first movie, pretty good though still flawed. I'd grade it a solid "B".

As for Braff, I'll definitely be looking forward to what he does in the future. "Scrubs" is the best sitcom on newtork TV in recent years, and he showed talent with Garden State. I'll just hope he progresses and does a better overall effort next time.

And there are a few threads on this movie elsewhere on the site. HERE for one.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I thought Garden State was fantastic. I'm always charmed by films which can make relatively uneventful, everyday things seem important. That's how you know the movie's "got" you.

The only part I wasn't so high on was the climax of sorts with Braff and Ian Holm, who plays his father. The film had done a fine job of building up to it, but what was actually said felt somewhat out of place, and rather anticlimactic. It was a big scene...an important scene...and it was a step down from the rest of the film.

I still crack up when I think of that diploma on the ceiling, though. Definitely one of my favorite films of the year.

Yoda, I read that they cut out a lot of scenes dealing with his "dad issues" do to time constraints and becuase he didn't want that to be the main focus of the film, I see what you are saying though. Those missing scenes are supposed to be on the DVD. I really like the way you described the movie "I'm always charmed by films which can make relatively uneventful, everyday things seem important. That's how you know the movie's "got" you." I thought that was a great way to look at it (sorry I dont know how to do the thing where you quote somebody yet).

Holden, I here ya on the Scrubs, one of my favorite shows out there. Did you happen to check out his Blog??? Or you Yoda?? I also am looking forward to what he does in the future, I know his brother just wrote a book and it has gotten really good reviews, I believe it is on a similar subject. I can't think of the name of it right now but I will post it as soon as I remember. Adios

great movie indeed, im quite surprised actually at the lack of response this movie has gotten on this site, needless to say im stoked about the dvd and will be first inline to get it.

Bug Planet Proximus
The film was good indeed. It had some hilarious parts but it wasn't the seriousness that enthralled me. I'll have to agree with Holden and give it a 3.5/5. Excellent debut but like previously said, it was as if Zach Braff was trying to overstate his message. And the soundtrack really sh*ted me (i generally don't like soundtracks where i can recognise each and every song)
I must admit some bias though, it would have been 4 stars if it weren't for Natalie Portman. I just... don't like her.

But anyway,
"somebody's been pissing on my gamecube"

Heavy-handed and overrated. Not subtlety exists within the confines of this film. I saw it a few months ago and liked it while I was seeing it, but upon thinking back to it I started to avidly dislike it.

Also, the movie is promising. I don't think Garden State is bad, per se, but I know a lot of people went to see it expecting Lost in Translation or Eternal Sunshine levels of insight. None of that was to be found. A fun, forgettable movie which holds hope for Braff's future.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
Also, the movie is promising. I don't think Garden State is bad, per se, but I know a lot of people went to see it expecting Lost in Translation or Eternal Sunshine levels of insight. None of that was to be found. A fun, forgettable movie which holds hope for Braff's future.
You're right about it not matching up with Lost in Translation or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but maybe you were hoping that it would. When I saw it I sat there and took it all in, there were really beautiful and clever moments in this film and each impressed me more and more.

Of course it doesn't give the great insights of my favourite movies but I'm sick of expecting to discover compelling insights and being disappointed when there are few or none. That was why I didn't really enjoy Hero all that much because while it was truly stunning and moving there were no fascinating insights, so I felt short changed somehow. So when I saw this movie I made sure not to find out about it or expect anything, rather just take it in as it is and enjoy it. I'd give it Four out of five.

"I can't help it..."
I really enjoyed this movie; so much in fact, that I saw it twice.
I found Natalie Portman's performance very good, very reminiscent of Diane Keaton's Annie Hall.

My favorite line: "... And here comes the lip-stick"
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

This film was extremly overrated. It was kind of like an art film for people who don't understand art films. I was expecting it to be this amazing film since everyone on imdb and some of my friends were going on and on about how much they loved it but it just was very underwhelming.

I suspect I enjoyed it because I didn't have too much of a preconceived notion of what kind of film it was trying to be. I thought it would be offbeat, but did not go in excepting an art film. It may fail as an "art film," but I don't think it's trying to be one.

I think people often expect the lower budget, independent-feeling films to be a certain way. But they're not all, as Richard Roeper put it, people fighting and/or talking about sex for 90 minutes.

I saw it not to long ago when it was released on DVD. I saw the trailers and thought it looked like my kind of film. So I took the chance and checked it out, All in all i was pleased with it, I feel they could have had more in it and that it was lacking on some parts but for the most part its an good flick. I'll probably pick it up down the line. Overall I would give it a "A-"

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by Yoda
I suspect I enjoyed it because I didn't have too much of a preconceived notion of what kind of film it was trying to be. I thought it would be offbeat, but did not go in excepting an art film. It may fail as an "art film," but I don't think it's trying to be one.
How do you figure it's not trying to be an art film?

Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
How do you figure it's not trying to be an art film?
There's no way for me to answer that question unless you define what you mean by the term "art film." To me, the term refers to a film less concerned with entertainment and/or insight, and more concerned with something self-indulgent. Usually some sort of intense character study, or some vague attempt to "tackle" or "confront" some controversial social issue. Style being given precedence over substance (or entertainment) is the most succint definition I can give.

Garden State seems as concerned with being funny as it does with delving into anyone's soul. If, by "art film," you simply mean a film a bit more stylized and offbeat than your average summer blockbuster, then I suppose it would qualify.

I just reviewed this one in another thread but wanted to add that I thoroughly enjoyed Garden State. I found it to be a wonderful coming-of-age story. Sometimes tender and sweet, other times laugh out loud funny. I wouldn’t classify it as an art house film, rather a more modern Graduate style film.

Overall 8/10.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Shameless self promotion
I've read some really mixed reviews of this, some people hailing Zach Braff as the new Woody Allen and others as immature and self-indulgent. Don't think I'd go to the cinema for it but may get it when it comes out to rent.

Originally Posted by Yoda
There's no way for me to answer that question unless you define what you mean by the term "art film." To me, the term refers to a film less concerned with entertainment and/or insight, and more concerned with something self-indulgent. Usually some sort of intense character study, or some vague attempt to "tackle" or "confront" some controversial social issue. Style being given precedence over substance (or entertainment) is the most succint definition I can give.

Garden State seems as concerned with being funny as it does with delving into anyone's soul. If, by "art film," you simply mean a film a bit more stylized and offbeat than your average summer blockbuster, then I suppose it would qualify.

Oh. I've never thought of art film as inherently derogatory, but fair enough.

I mean, would any movie really try to be self-indulgent? I think it just comes naturally to a lot of directors I assume you're pin-pointing.