Best Picture Oscar 2019

Tools    

Which gets your vote for Best Picture of the year?
4.65%
2 votes
BLACK PANTHER
6.98%
3 votes
BLACKkKLANSMAN
4.65%
2 votes
BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
25.58%
11 votes
THE FAVOURITE
13.95%
6 votes
GREEN BOOK
25.58%
11 votes
ROMA
18.60%
8 votes
A STAR IS BORN
0%
0 votes
VICE
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are the eight nominees for the Academy's top prize for feature films released in 2018...

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star is Born
Vice
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's between Green Book and Roma. But don't count out A Star is Born which may surprise.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROMA easily.

One of the best films of the decade.
Roma will win Foreign Language for sure. It can make history and win Best Picture too. It's making history anyways being the first Netflix film to get all these award nominations.

Roma will win Foreign Language for sure. It can make history and win Best Picture too. It's making history anyways being the first Netflix film to get all these award nominations.
And it only cost Netflix about $40m

Also, if Roma wins best picture - how can it NOT win best film in a language other than English?

Surely it wins it by default?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
You can't really predict these Best Picture nominations anymore. Too tricky to figure out. So with only seeing 5/8 I predict Green Book. That's not my preferred winner though.

Green Book's definitely the frontrunner since it won the PGA award. Not seen it but it looks quite mediocre.

Green Book's definitely the frontrunner since it won the PGA award. Not seen it but it looks quite mediocre.
It was really good, but not Best Picture worthy to be honest.

Oh I get it. They're just gonna have a Comic movie in for Best picture every year now. I guess that's progress. Kinda.

I haven't seen a bunch of these. Do the two musicals maybe cancel each other out? Which 2 or 3 do I really need to watch if I don't have time to see them all?

Oh I get it. They're just gonna have a Comic movie in for Best picture every year now. I guess that's progress. Kinda.

Well it's about 15 years too late (Road to Perdition..sniff so good)

And it only cost Netflix about $40m

Also, if Roma wins best picture - how can it NOT win best film in a language other than English?

Surely it wins it by default?
Best Picture is always last, so we'll know best foreign film first. And best foreign usually doesn't even get on the nominations list

I think Star Is Born will ill win although I prefer Blackklansman slightly, both made my too ten. Only one I haven't seen is The Favourite, which I am expecting to love.

Roma's pretty much guaranteed to win Foreign Language film so it probably won't win Best Picture. Same thing happened with Amour in 2012.

It has been ten years since The Dark Knight was "snubbed" (for those who believe it was), and in all the billions of dollars the seemingly endless stream of super hero movies have made since then Black Panther is the first to finally crack through and get a Best Picture nomination.

I would absolutely not expect this to be a regular thing. At all. Any more than Lord of the Rings not only getting nominations but also a Best Picture win made it any more a regular a thing for fantasy epics to be nominated. Since Return of the King there have been zero nominations for the subgenre (while HBO's "Game of Thrones" has taken up the mantle for fantasy in media).

But Black Panther's nomination is a much better outcome than a new "Most Popular Movie" category, which the Academy wisely torpedoed soon after announcing the concept. Oy.

I haven't seen a bunch of these. Do the two musicals maybe cancel each other out? Which 2 or 3 do I really need to watch if I don't have time to see them all?
I would say Roma, A Star is Born, and Green Book, with maybe an extreme longshot chance of The Favourite as Best Picture. Don't really see the other four as having much of a realistic shot, and I would say Star is Born and Green Book both have legitimate shots even without their directors being nominated. Definitely see Roma, which of course is available on Netflix.

A system of cells interlinked
I have only seen a small portion of these so far...need to get watching!

I've changed my mind. I think A STAR IS BORN will win Best Picture. Bradley getting snubbed for Best Director and being a long shot in the Best Actor contest is an indication that the Academy will make it up to him by awarding his movie the top prize. I mean...he deserves top recognition for carrying the film (producing, directing, writing, acting, and singing on its damn soundtrack, too!).

Welcome to the human race...
How do they decide whether to do eight nominees or nine? Flip a coin?