Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

6.8/10. It is wonderfully acted. The songs are great. Didn't realize Lady Gaga could act so well. Apart from a few scenes. But the movie just doesn't have that zing! It might still win the Oscars, but I will be disappointed if it did!

6.5/10. It is great thriller. But not quite Oscar material in any category!

All in all, The Favourite is still my favourite.

Tumbbad (2018)

Indian film about greed and a god living under an abandoned temple. It looks stunningly good but is otherwise quite average. Worth a look for the visual alone though.

‘The Old Man & The Gun’ is merely a hair trigger away from getting a higher grade and honestly I’m in doubt of whether it should receive it after all? I genuinely long after more laid-back low-budget films, which isn't made to accomplish anything grand - and watching a film like this accomplish exactly that is a lovely thing to witness, as long as everything around it works its wonders... and this one pretty much does.

The film is like its characters and the characters are like their actors - a bit old, rough around the edges, but very elegant and charming. It might remind you of something you’ve stumbled upon before but there’s so much life on screen that it’s just too hard to resist. And it’s not just the life that is but also the life that was. And you feel that. You feel the time and tear that has happened before the story starts and thereby you automatically settle in. As an audience you enter this neat little time pocket where the life of these old souls feels worthy and not weary of our time. The backdrop is equally inviting and so is the almost inconceivable 60s and 70s feel this film captures so beautifully... complete with 16mm film and all.

Of course, a lot of the credit has to go to the actors and actresses who sell the movie amazingly by almost not acting. In many ways, this is a film where there’s room to breathe - both for us and the characters, and most importantly, for those who play them. You feel their presence, you enjoy their company and you admire them every step of the way.

This is a charming little film that moves along in a pace that fits the phase of the character and actor, here especially referring to Mr. Robert Redford, who transcends wonderfully and wistfully into the very role that sends him respectfully into retirement with a smile... on both his face and mine.

++

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★★

Last night, I was planning to watch The Passion of Christ after this one, but I was impressed, and so speachless, in a state of full reflex, that I couldn't watch another film.
Will rewatch again tonight, cause I believe I was too amazed to pay attention in every shot.

--
I know this isn't the right place, but the soundtrack is incredible:

★★★★★

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Zzzzz

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

^ Watched this twice.

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Z

Snooze factor rating = Zzzz

Lost count how many times I've seen this -

Snooze factor rating = Z

Second viewing -

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

PADDINGTON 2

Pat yourself on the back, Paul King, you struck golden marmelade by the masses (or by the molasses), which sticks to heart and soul no matter how hard you resist. And why should you? In many ways, that is the only potential flaw that sticks out in this film - it's sugary sweet and a family movie with a capital F. The film itself, though, is very far from an F...

I genuinely can't fault the film for its almost uncriticizable confidence in material and style and the cunningly captivating charm and self awareness, which just oozes on without end in this superior sequel. I enjoyed the first film, but I feel like this bear adventure is less banal and takes more time to explore its potential. 'Paddington' was a cascade of comedic outcomes for our little hat-bearing bear, but it also felt a lot like the easy way out. In the sequel Paddington is already settled in well with the world and the people around him, which makes for a nice stepping stone to more elaborate character development - and especially for the family he lives with, who gets a lot of screen time, which was very welcomed.

The story is filled with set-ups and pay-offs, the visuals are wonderfully wacky but well executed and the feeling is so fuzzy it's almost unbearable. The actors and actresses all deliver what is needed and wanted of them and some even a bit more than that. Let's talk about Hugh Grant for a second. I think this is the role he was born to play, ladies and gentlemen. What a show he puts on, but perfectly balanced between an actor proving his craftsmanship and an actor jumping ship. I loved it. The returning cast are no cast aways either, and as I said, gets even more to do here. Brendan Gleeson is awesome as well and this second time around the marmelade jar is anything but jarring but rather cheering and warmer than a bearhug.

I might have shed a little tear at the end to be honest. 'Paddington' is a ton of fun and 'Paddington 2' is too... perhaps even more so.

The Meg (2018)

Rebel in the Rye (2018)

Support the Girls (2018)

I watched that Bohemian Rhapshody last night. I admit I am not a Queen fan (Sheer Heart Attack and Bicycle Race are the only two of theirs I can stand ....ach, Who Wants To live Forever as well then). funny, I thought he was a chutney ferret?? Apparently not cough. Can't imagine what Queen fans will think tbh.NEXT!!! 2/10 (for the cockerel)

Unregistered User

Aftermath (1994)

The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018)

Im a complete sucker for home invasion films, they're probably my favourite sub-genre with The Strangers (2008) quite high up my best of list. Baring that in mind, I had high hopes for this despite its mostly negative reviews as a lot of these films dont get a great rating. Unfortunately this was quite a let down, with the most annoying characters Ive watched in a while really putting in quite trrible performances. It does have a couple of fun scenes, including the swimming pool scene and a decent 80's soundtrack helps quite a bit. I really love the masks though, they would be terrifying in a real home invasion!

With the horror countdown coming up you could check out the following if interested, The Strangers, You're Next, Wait Until Dark, Straw Dogs, High Tension, Funny Games, Kidnapped, The Collector, Inside, Them, Sleep Tight, The Desperate Hours, Angst, Last House On Left. Most should have horror tags.

‘The Old Man & The Gun’ is merely a hair trigger away from getting a higher grade and honestly I’m in doubt of whether it should receive it after all? I genuinely long after more laid-back low-budget films, which isn't made to accomplish anything grand - and watching a film like this accomplish exactly that is a lovely thing to witness, as long as everything around it works its wonders... and this one pretty much does.

Very nice, succinct review, MM. Your observations are fresh and intuitive. Good stuff.

~Doc

Very nice, succinct review, MM. Your observations are fresh and intuitive. Good stuff.

~Doc
Thank you very much, Doc.

I miss doing reviews. Haven’t been doing them in a good long while... been thinking of going back into it. Maybe start up a new thread. I don’t know.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

: If you like films like Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects, then you will like this one. Revolves around a Texas-based militia group being interrogated by one of their own, an ex-cop, when a shooting at a funeral occurs and the weapon used was that of one of the militia. Great performances by James Badge Dale, Happy Anderson, and Chris Mulkey.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

: If you like films like Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects, then you will like this one. Revolves around a Texas-based militia group being interrogated by one of their own, an ex-cop, when a shooting at a funeral occurs and the weapon used was that of one of the militia. Great performances by James Badge Dale, Happy Anderson, and Chris Mulkey.
Really good trailer for this movie, glad the film holds up to it.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

We see how ridiculous these people are throughout the film and keep telling ourselves how for we've come since the early 70's, only to be shown how little we've actually progressed as we witness a car rundown people in a protest and a man sitting in a white house not bothering to condemn such actions.

Re-watch. Harvey Keitel so frickin’ good in this. But the movie has been bowdlerized & the original version is nowhere to be found. Major graphic scenes removed, including Keitel’s full-frontal nudity. Imbeciles!

Re-watch. Excellent movie. Kate Dickie brilliant.

The World According to Garp - 6/10
Could have been better without John Lithgow's character.

I love this movie...Lithgow's character was kind of annoying, but it did not deter from my enjoyment of the rest of the film. Robin Williams has rarely been better.