Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
It definitely strikes me as one of those properties where it can only really work once like (as mentioned) Jurassic Park or Halloween and any attempt to replicate its success through reboot, sequel, or rebootquel is going to be a problem.

Its funny but i disliked the reboot for everything else besides it starring women. Focusing on that aspect comes off extremely sexist and having your uninformed mind made up before you know any specific motivations.

But hey! Thats just my opinion.

I always find that people WANT movies to be like their original counterparts. Then when we are given that, people COMPLAIN that it's just a copy.

People are dumb. (Tommy Lee Jones taught me this)
Maybe deep down, nobody really wants remakes. Especially not of anything we have childhood feelings for.

It definitely strikes me as one of those properties where it can only really work once like (as mentioned) Jurassic Park...

I dunno.
As much as I love Jurassic Park, I think if someone made a closer-to-the-book version, it could easily be an 18 rated horror... and still be a huge success.

True though in terms of Ghostbusters.
GB2 is a masterpiece next to the 2016 version, but the original movie is classic.
A 3rd movie that continues the story, will need to be pretty special.

I reckon getting Aykroyd on board, and getting Emma Stone into the cast would be the first and best step in casting.
They also need to have Oscar Barrett as a main character for continuity.

I think its very possible to make a worthy follow up to the OGB.

It may take some guts and not catering to the typical summer movie crowd. With sll the "progress" in the world now, there's really no excuse to not think outside of the box.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I am hearing reports that Murray ans Moranis will be involved. We'll see.
Rick Moranis, hopefully, I'd like to see him back on the screen but I feel like he's content with what he's doing now.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, Moranis is arguably bigger news than Murray, or even the film existing at all. One of the few guys to really retire, voluntarily, and not because his career was necessarily on the downswing or anything. A lot of actors act down-to-earth, and I suspect in many cases it's very very carefully cultivated, and even the more genuine ones are just genuine or nice for an insanely famous and rich person. But Moranis never came back after a few years or did anything to indicate it was calculated or a ploy or anything other than honest.

Also, he wrote some really catchy/funny country music songs in the interim:

I'll be happy to see him again, both because I think he's great, and I because I think he's good, and because if he does come back I'm convinced it'll be for all the right reasons.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yeah, Moranis is arguably bigger news than Murray, or even the film existing at all. One of the few guys to really retire, voluntarily, and not because his career was necessarily on the downswing or anything. A lot of actors act down-to-earth, and I suspect in many cases it's very very carefully cultivated, and even the more genuine ones are just genuine or nice for an insanely famous and rich person. But Moranis never came back after a few years or did anything to indicate it was calculated or a ploy or anything other than honest.

Also, he wrote some really catchy/funny country music songs in the interim:

I'll be happy to see him again, both because I think he's great, and I because I think he's good, and because if he does come back I'm convinced it'll be for all the right reasons.
Well his daughters are now grown up so there might be a chance. I remember producers offering him a cameo in the Ghostbusters reboot, which he turned down because it made no sense.

Yeah, he specifically talked about wanting to quit to raise his kids after his wife passed, so maybe he feels it's reasonable to act again. I hope so.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I'm undecided on this. I really don't want to see Elderly Ghostbusters. It's really sad to see how frail or fat or tired my comedy heroes from when I was a kid look now. Steve Martin and Martin Short are like the only ones who have aged gracefully.

I do wonder why anyone would want to make a new Ghostbusters after the insane, entitled fan boy attacks on the last one. If anything in this film makes the man babies angry, they will tear it to shreds. I'd say that they shouldn't make this, or any more Star Wars movies pretty much ever, even though i really like the new Star Wars series so far.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I do wonder why anyone would want to make a new Ghostbusters after the insane, entitled fan boy attacks on the last one. If anything in this film makes the man babies angry, they will tear it to shreds.
I don't see it that way, the whole "man baby" thing. That mentality gets blown way, way out of proportion. I think every platform will have a collection of belly achers, that's a given. What I see is a lot of ppl who hold GB kind of sacred for reasons not so apparent to some, and it's for those reasons why they get bothered about a second rate, and highly dismissive not to mention social experiment film- pretty much trashing the legacy to the point of starting a hate war, and a misdirected sexist mentality. Like I said, some bad apples are out there, but it shouldn't generalize an audience that cares, and are still trying to forgive part II, when this GB "reboot" or whatever, cannot even get their initial film trailer correct "3 scientist" changed to "3 friends"..and then that's it. Not even in the narrative.

It was a failed attempt. Because the original was so well regarded by big fans of the film - now we get our noses rubbed in sh#t because we have to deal with this accusation of it being because women were cast. Let's not mention the blatant disregard for tone, writing, and yes, even casting choices for the roles.

Oyy.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I don't see it that way, the whole "man baby" thing. That mentality gets blown way, way out of proportion. I think every platform will have a collection of belly achers, that's a given. What I see is a lot of ppl who hold GB kind of sacred for reasons not so apparent to some, and it's for those reasons why they get bothered about a second rate, and highly dismissive not to mention social experiment film- pretty much trashing the legacy to the point of starting a hate war, and a misdirected sexist mentality. Like I said, some bad apples are out there, but it shouldn't generalize an audience that cares, and are still trying to forgive part II, when this GB "reboot" or whatever, cannot even get their initial film trailer correct "3 scientist" changed to "3 friends"..and then that's it. Not even in the narrative.

It was a failed attempt. Because the original was so well regarded by big fans of the film - now we get our noses rubbed in sh#t because we have to deal with this accusation of it being because women were cast. Let's not mention the blatant disregard for tone, writing, and yes, even casting choices for the roles.

Oyy.
y'all get your noses rubbed in....excrement....because a very vocal contingent went above and beyond in attacking the makers of said failed attempt. It was totally their right to not see the film, but to act like it was a personal attack that people are still ranting about years later?

Man babies.

I had some debate about this but, at the end of the day, I know why I didn't like the reboot, and it wasn't because it starred women, that's for sure.

The whole man-baby thing just seems to lump everyone who didn't like the film into one general category as women haters, or being a man baby because they don't like something (exactly what you seem to be doing magnified)and I don't think that's very intelligent or healthy. But maybe you didn't mean it that way so, my apologies if you didn't..

We're all entitled to have an opinion, not just man babies. ;P

Welcome to the human race...
Monkeypunch is right - regardless of how good (or not) the remake actually was, the outpouring of hatred against it now has to be accounted for whenever there's a new attempt at adding to the franchise and the last thing this movie needs to do is bend over backwards for the people who hated the remake Because Women (and throwing the people who did like it under the bus in the process). Not doing just that is the absolute least a new movie could do.

Hope they use the premise of Ghostbusters Extreme tbh in that the characters weren't just all men or all women... they had a multicultural cast, men and women, different ages and physical abilities.

And the cartoon itself never made a big deal out of it either, nor did the fans. It just did it. It just was.