Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Tools    

To be fair, it is Honest Trailers. Just like Cinema Sins, they point out the flaws with every single movie they cover regardless of how much they personally liked or disliked it. I feel like I could question their point about how all the main characters are trying to be the comic relief, though - it's not like having four distinctively comedic characters is automatically worse than having one comic relief do the heavy lifting for the other two or three straight-man characters (if anything, that's what probably led people to think the original wasn't as much of a comedy as it actually was). .
I get what they're saying but my argument to them would be that Ghostbusters is an ensemble movie - and often in ensemble movies, there's a case to be made for any character to be the main one or the main comic relief.

Welcome to the human race...
I get what they're saying but my argument to them would be that Ghostbusters is an ensemble movie - and often in ensemble movies, there's a case to be made for any character to be the main one or the main comic relief.
Yeah, pretty much. The trailer guy says something like "you can't all be Venkman, someone has to be Egon" as if Egon himself didn't play into the Comically Serious type of comedy in addition to playing the expository straight-man. Ideally, both old and new ensembles would serve as foils for another rather than fit into a strict "straight-man/joker" binary. By the video's logic, Venkman stands out as the comic relief more or less because he's the most outwardly comical with his one-liners; however, he also functions as the straight-man to Egon and Ray as they have to constantly explain the goofy-sounding science to him, the least educated/interested in the paranormal (effectively making him the audience surrogate). Venkman's comedy tends to be reactive more so than proactive, so his role as either straight-man or comic relief changes as the situation demands. Egon is similarly flexible for reasons mentioned above, whereas Ray is the biggest "fool" in the group and makes everyone else seem like a straight-man in comparison. Winston, on the other hand, doesn't get as much development as the others due to his late arrival and limited screen-time - he does go from thinking of the job as a "paycheck" to actually taking it seriously in what is essentially a compressed version of Venkman's arc, but that doesn't make him especially comical either.

In this regard, I'd argue that Abby serves as the new film's Egon because she is actually a serious person outside of the moments where the film indulges Melissa McCarthy's more stock-standard physical humour.

It's been announced in a report today that a script for Ghostbusters 3 that will bring back original cast members is in the process of being written.

Dan Aykroyd first broke the news in a recent interview he gave with Dan Rather.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/11...IrEK7Qli46uhkA
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
The article did pose some interesting questions like how will they handle Egon Spengler since Harold Ramis has passed. There is the question of Rick Moranis as well, but Moranis has decided to make a comeback recently as he was waiting for his kids to grow up (he retired when his wife died of cancer and stuck to doing occasional voice acting). He did say he is becoming picky with his choices of roles in a recent THR interview

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
He clearly is desperate for a hit.

Hasn't has a successful film since Up in the Air.

Suspect's Reviews

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
He clearly is desperate for a hit.

Hasn't has a successful film since Up in the Air.

I thought you loved Tully...

Leaving aside the idea that the reboot even needs to be apologised for, I question whether a man who filmed three Diablo Cody screenplays is going to go out of his way to appease the Ghostbros.

Never. Forget.

Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Well, Reitman was on set with his dad directing the original as a 6 year old. Im pretty sure he's gonna "go out of his way", and yes, I think this may very well be an apology, or a balancing agent at the least.

Some people didnt even like the original. I should go parade around a Last House on the Left thread since I'm not interested at all in that movie.

Who knows, I might even become an authority on it.

I think it could well turn out like Star Wars where you have The Force Awakens trying its best to make up for the much-disliked prequels by straight-up copying the originals to the point where people disliked it anyway for being too familiar (which is turning out to be a common trend among various reboots/sequels in franchises with notoriously bad installments like Halloween or Jurassic Park). At the very least, I'd hope that it doesn't validate the section of the fandom who hated the reboot simply because it had women in it and it's hard to see how it could "apologise" for the reboot without doing just that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think it could well turn out like Star Wars where you have The Force Awakens trying its best to make up for the much-disliked prequels by straight-up copying the originals to the point where people disliked it anyway for being too familiar (which is turning out to be a common trend among various reboots/sequels in franchises with notoriously bad installments like Halloween or Jurassic Park). At the very least, I'd hope that it doesn't validate the section of the fandom who hated the reboot simply because it had women in it and it's hard to see how it could "apologise" for the reboot without doing just that.
I always find that people WANT movies to be like their original counterparts. Then when we are given that, people COMPLAIN that it's just a copy.

People are dumb. (Tommy Lee Jones taught me this)

This might just do nobody any good.
TLJ as the government official who cannot sanction the ghostbuster’s buffoonery.