Why was the tag 'Oscars too white' not considered racist

Tools    

What's that suppose to mean?
12 Angry Men has become something of an inside joke with us (no?)
And there was a portion in the movie that dealt with racism (like this thread).
And, the fact that you don't like that movie puts you in a "minority" on this board - so you can speak here as someone who knows the minority experience...

I can see my humor, once again, is not translating well in the written form.

12 Angry Men has become something of an inside joke with us (no?)
And there was a portion in the movie that dealt with racism (like this thread).
And, the fact that you don't like that movie puts you in a "minority" on this board - so you can speak here as someone who knows the minority experience...

I can see my humor, once again, is not translating well in the written form.
Oh, I thought it was a case of you making one of your infamous double meaning jokes, where you want to say something but hide it in a joke. OK no worries then.

Oh, I thought it was a case of you making one of your infamous double meaning jokes, where you want to say something but hide it in a joke. OK no worries then.
Nah, just trying to capitalize on a running inside joke - like I'm still trying to get you to like 12 Angry Men and see it as so deep & meaningful because they have conversations in the movie just like we're doing here - therefore it must have much more merit.

Sorry. My attempts at a joke got lost in translation and took this interesting thread off track.

P.S. I gotta go - the Jerk Store just called: they're running low on me!

sorry I usually don't associate verbal with the police being called and court cases being held

I was referring to phyical attacks. Maybe i should have used the word assualt, but its not my fault you dont understand the meaning of words.

And when someone does attack/assault someone, then the police and courts get involved, which was the point i was making.

My point was when a black person attacks (physically assaults) a white person it is not seen as a hate crime. When the assault goes to court, they get off lightly - it is not seen as a hate crime if a black assaults a white.What is it about that, that is so hard to understand.

And just so you know, i thought that what you said about not caring if other white people were racially abused was shockingly offensive.

Which brings me to another point. Racism, prejudice and bigotry arent a one way street. It would be an easy assumption to make that only the majority can be racist, prejudiced towards the minority. But i would argue the minority can be racist towards the majority as well.

White people can be racially abused, get beaten up, attacked for being white, as much as a black person can for being black.

And correct me if im wrong but in america there is racism between the other races too, such as asians and blacks ( a young man going into a liquor store and the asian owner thinking they will steal something because they are black)

It is far too easy to just assume racism is one way, and for someone (like me) to suggest otherwise, is somehow loony.

Can anyone honestly say, when a black attacks (assaults - yes Velvet, those words are very similar) a white person, that racism cannot be a factor?

Weird is relative.
I just find it funny that non-white people and also white people in first world countries today think that other whites have never suffered on a major scale, ever. What about the Irish? Irish people were marginalized in the U.S. and Canada for many years. There would literally be signs up on stores saying they wouldn't accept Irish customers or employees.

Then there were the Acadian French. They, too, were attacked by the British originally and had their heritage ripped away from them.

There are also all the countries in Central and Eastern Europe whose people were brutally captured and killed during World War II and the Cold War.

Oh, and unfortunately Europeans who weren't British or French had a difficult time fitting into North America as well. For decades they were looked upon as "foreigners." They had trouble finding jobs and being respected, so they would create their own separate societies.

So yes, while racism against non-whites was a legitimate and highly disturbing issue in North America in the past, racism against people who weren't descended from Britain or France was also a major concern. (Most of the people from Spain seem to have moved into warmer regions outside of the U.S. and Canada.)

It took time for all these "differences" to settle and for the various countries to assimilate into one collective which is how we see most first-world countries today. It's in our primitive human history - we fear that which is different from us. It takes time for us to trust and accept anything that seems "foreign." If we trusted everything and anyone, we could end up dead, so it's our brain's way of protecting us.

That (and a desire for power, wealth, and control, etc.) is why some people unfortunately went to such extremes as slavery and targeted racism.

I still think a type of slavery exists today in the form of minimum wage jobs... which happens to people of any race or ethnicity.

Very well said, i couldnt have said it better myself.

I would also add, the biggest rift in society today, is between the rich and everyone else. Many rich people and many companies pay little if any tax at all, yet if a regular person messes up their taxes, they get the book thrown at them.

Maybe minorities blame white people as a whole for theier economic situation? which boils over to things such as the Oscars.

I just find it strange and offensive that the oscars too white 'movement' was allowed to get so much momentum. When Sill Smith's wife was complaining at the same time Will Smith was being nominated for best actor.
If a hashtag was started up called NFL to black, my goodness the backlash especially from the left would be off the page. those people would be exiled from the twitter forever. But oscars too white, the reaction was like - meh what are you going to do.

But speaking of the oscars, wasnt those instances of people of color winning an oscar made even more special because they won it on merit, not by some affirmative action. For me the oscars would really lose its appeal if identity politics got involved, and a person of color had to win every 3rd oscar handed out.

The merit based system of the oscars is what makes it so special - to he winners (and nominees - Leonardo Decaprio had to lose four times before he finally won, and to the viewers, as theyd know whenever won, was the very best, as the had to beat the other very best in their category.

So for me, the oscars too white is complete nonsense. besides, how come Hollywood at the time, didnt start up a new awards show jjst to recognize diversity in Holywood . Because the Academy Awards is the gold (literally) standard. Its because its so hard to win that makes it so special when people do win one, including people of color.

He pretty clearly means "attacks" in a verbal way.
I was referring to phyical attacks
The beauty of conversation

Fair enough. These responses still apply, however:

Feels like you're deliberately trying to misunderstand.

The first thing you said is about the verbal, and so were the initial replies. It was then used to branch off into related topics to explore the idea of two standards. People are naturally asking where it stops and why, and you seem to be trying to dismiss that simply because they've extrapolated the principle you've advanced. Even though that's a perfectly reasonable way to test a standard.
Sure seems like a lot of people wanna weigh in on controversial and complicated social questions, just so long as they don't have to type more than a few sentences or answer questions or read a few numbers or anything.
That last one's holding up pretty well right now.

@Iroquois: could I get a substantive response to this? As I mentioned, I cited the number in question to you the first time this came up, and then again in this thread, and it wasn't really acknowledged or reconciled either time.

Seems like these cultural conversations are always resetting as if the previous interaction never took place, and I don't really understand the point of that (or even how it would work in someone's mind, given the dissonance it must generate). Normally I'm happy to let arguments of questionable usefulness fizzle out, but this keeps happening, so I'd really like to break the pattern.

You're too tired to answer the simple, direct, super-relevant inquiry, but not too tired to write a whole cultural treatise orthogonal to it every time it comes up? Oof.

It's also been three years.

But I wasn't demanding an immediate response, anyway. Just a cessation of this pattern, so that meaningful counterpoints are absorbed, acknowledged, addressed, or incorporated, rather than ignored and forgotten.