Horror Hall of Fame II

Tools    

Second to last for me. I have no idea why this one has horror tag on IMDb but it has so...

eXistenZ (1999) R

A test show of a new virtual reality game goes wrong when there's an attempt at the lead designer's life. She must run for her life accompanied with a marketing trainee while trying to save her game.

"I think I lost my appetite."

eXistenZ is definitely an odd film, even for Cronenberg. This is my second viewing within last two years and while I actually liked it more this time it's still one of the weaker Cronenbergs for me. It seems so much more outdated than Videodrome in its dissection of media but on the other hand I'm not sure if that's even its purpose.

On this viewing my interpretation of eXistenZ is a critique towards the writing in games. Dialogue is totally bonkers, acting is weird, plot moves just because someone tells our heroes to go somewhere, etc. and the illusion of choice and freedom is shattered at every turn. Maybe Cronenberg just wants to say that movies (or traditional stories in general) still have a place and games aren't capable of challenging that (I wonder what he thinks of Black Mirror: Bandersnatch).

No matter the agenda eXistenZ is in many ways really clumsy (considering Cronenberg's other film it must be intentional). Leigh is charming as always, Law not that much. It feels the film is odd for oddity's sake. Not bad but closer to that than being good.

Deep Red

That was a rewatch, but I didn't remember much about the film other then the identity if the murderer. On the plus side: The visuals are beautiful, the music is excellent, though not necessarily appropriate to the amount of violence shown in the film. I mean, the music sounds very good, among the top scores I've heard it's super catchy, I even searched it on youtube to listen to it, however this uplifting song paired with brutal murder doesn't seem that appropriate to me. Even if it wasn't used that well, I consider the music to be a plus. I also like the atmosphere of the film, it's mysterious which serves the film well.

On the negative side, the story is not very interesting, I didn't care about the actual intrigue even if the atmosphere was nice. So Overall I'm mixed about it, I like the style, the way the film was made, but I don't like the story, what the movie is about.

The Hour of the Wolf

To me that's not really a horror movie (even though I agree that according to the rules of the HOF it counts). It's not really scary, it's more existentially horrific then scary, I don't know if you see the distinction, but it makes sense to me. I find this film to be a low tier Bergman. I thought it wasn't philosophical enough, maybe it's my fault, but I didn't really get Max Von Sydow's reason for his change of attitudes toward the middle of the film. Considering this change of attitude is the center of the film, I didn't get the film overall, so I didn't really enjoy it unfortunately.

One of the things I hate about nominations like this is what exactly can one discuss about a film like this. Hour of the Wolf(1968) is borderline experimental in some ways it's almost Fellini-esque as it tells the story of a couple on retreat where the female discovers the diary of her mate. What follows is a series of nightmares I'd be lying if I said I understood half of what I saw but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My interpretation is that nothing actually happens in the film and it's just Alma reading Johan's diary and drawings and giving them life. But the story could be open to multiple interpretations and readings so who knows. It's a great nomination and will score very highly for me and it's an improvement on second watch but their is very little to say about it.

Oh that Roose Bolton always showing up at the worst times. Autopsy of Jane Doe(2016) is a film with an amazing premise, and first act. It's a dark and stormy night and nude dead woman is found in a house with several bodies. The father/son team of coroners are then put in charge of giving the body an autopsy and trying to figure out how this perfectly healthy woman with no external injuries died.

Emile Hirsch and Brian Cox play the father and son, both have different perspectives of the job. Hirsch is the more curious one trying to figure out the why while Cox is more world weary. I loved so many aspects of this film though it does have it's flaws. You've got a second act twist that doesn't really pay off well or it particularly well executed. As a point of order I think all the deaths in the film could have been handled better and I did wish that the film could maintain a certain level of suspense(the office scene is a massive triumph in horror).

Still I found this to be one of the more enjoyable nominations and it will once again score highly for me.

What do you do with a film that's really good aside from the fact that all the people in it are annoying and unlikable and thus we reach the crux of Ginger Snaps (2000). A film that is very reminiscent of 80's classics yet told with a 90's twist. Ginger Snaps is the story of two sisters who end up as werewolves in Canada.

Here's the crazy thing at first I thought that the girls where just bad actresses but both have done work in other projects that I liked. One was in Hannibal while the other was in the original version of It. So I suppose the blame has to go to the director for making the girls so damn unlikable.

Anyways the strength of the film is the practical effects, everything in this film looks good it also has a nice transition from each act and setting to give the story an appropriate scope and feel to it.

It's weakness was that it didn't really feel like a film that built up any tension. I almost felt like the film was made for TV with ad breaks setup at different points. Also the character were unlikable to a point where they just annoyed me. Also they beat that puberty metaphor to death less would have been much more with a film like this.

Macabre (2009) is an interesting idea of a film shot extremely on the cheap end and in desperate need of an editor. Basically this is an attempt at telling TCM in Indonesia with normal actors, and for a part of this film I enjoyed it. It's very reminiscent of French Extremism (kinda sad nobody picked one of those films), and while the subject matter and some of the effects seem to be on that level at times it felt like it was shot on a camcorder and the audio was just rough. It was actually quite jarring to go from AOJD to this because while both are independent small films this felt almost like a student project less like a finished one. Yet like all of cricket's noms this was definitely memorable.

Unregistered User

Deep Red (1975)

I thik thats my 4th watch of this and I'm still not sure what I think of it. I didnt like the pacing of the film, at times it just felt so unbearably slow, with scenes and characters just thrown it for a bit of filler and to keep us guessing. It doesnt help either that the main character is David Hemmings, who I'm not really a fan of. The dialogue, although expected from a giallo, still annoys me at times too. Lastly, I hated the whole broken car seat thing that was going on.

What I did like most of all were the kill scenes. Over the top yes but it was quite thilling waiting to see them again. The images are great too, with Argento's brilliant use of colour.

Ive not seen that much from Argento but I prefer Plummage, Tenebrae, Suspiria and maybe even Inferno, although I need to watch that one again.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I actually just grabbed Deep Red from my uncle who is getting rid of a lot of DVD collection. So I should be able to fit that in sooner rather than later.

Suspect's Reviews

What do you do with a film that's really good aside from the fact that all the people in it are annoying and unlikable and thus we reach the crux of Ginger Snaps (2000). A film that is very reminiscent of 80's classics yet told with a 90's twist. Ginger Snaps is the story of two sisters who end up as werewolves in Canada.

Here's the crazy thing at first I thought that the girls where just bad actresses but both have done work in other projects that I liked. One was in Hannibal while the other was in the original version of It. So I suppose the blame has to go to the director for making the girls so damn unlikable.

Anyways the strength of the film is the practical effects, everything in this film looks good it also has a nice transition from each act and setting to give the story an appropriate scope and feel to it.

It's weakness was that it didn't really feel like a film that built up any tension. I almost felt like the film was made for TV with ad breaks setup at different points. Also the character were unlikable to a point where they just annoyed me. Also they beat that puberty metaphor to death less would have been much more with a film like this.
I think this is the second review to point out how annoying the girls are, I don't see that at all. There is a certain outsider sisterly dynamic that sets them apart from other characters we've seen. I feel like this film is one of the stronger female lead casts in horror films and both give good performances. Loved Mimi Rogers as the overbearing mother.

The Canadian-ness adds to the charm.

I think they played up the puberty metaphor just the right amount. Any less and the movie might lose focus and become more about the monster than the relationship of the sisters.

It's been a long time since I last watched Ginger Snaps, but it's on my 100 and it's never occurred to me that either of the girls were annoying. Maybe it'd be different now, but there's nothing on my 100 that I've not seen at least 5 times and Ginger Snaps has been seen more than that and not once did that happen.

Rewatched Deep Red and I'm done with the films.

Deep Red (1975) R

A rewatch for the Horror HoF so I'll keep this short. The old review can be found here and for the most part it's still valid.

One thing that the rewatch changed is my view on the script. Already knowing the murderer gave me another perspective and I think Deep Red is actually really well written. There are some issues still but for the most part things are neatly pointing towards the correct killer. Also really nice and bold move to actually show the killer very early in the film (I suppose most people are like me and miss it the first time though).

I didn't mind the length that much this time and even most of the comedic scenes worked OK as character development. Soundtrack actually bothered me a little now - some of those tunes are just too groovy for the scenes (main theme is wonderful though). Visually Deep Red is still superb. And that little psycho girl, Nicoletta Elmi, is so great.

Overall I liked this more now than on the first viewing and will raise the rating by half popcorn.

And apologies for being little lazy on the hosting stuff. Following persons haven't been posting in ten or more days. I'd appreciate a sign of life (especially by the people with only two or three films done).

@cricket You're 7/9 so no hurries but for the sake of the rules, write something

@Nostromo87 You're 2/9 so it would be nice to have some reviews

@CiCi You're 3/9 so same as the above

Otherwise the situation with the films is this:

The Good
pahaK - 9/9
@the samoan lawyer - 9/9 (only voting left to do)
@Siddon - 8/9

The Little Less Good
@Derek Vinyard - 4/9
@TheUsualSuspect - 3/9
@Pussy Galore - 2/9

I've got one last 80's Teen film to do, then I'm blasting through this.

Was it a mistake to not really participate in the HoF's, then all of a sudden do 3 at the same time?.

yes.

And just because this came up I'd like to clarify this to everyone (most of you know this already but just in case): when voting you need to include your own nomination on the list too.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
MACABRE

Well the film certainly lives up to its title I didn't know anything about this one going into it, and I'm glad I got the chance to see it actually.
Granted this is nothing new, it isn't innovative nor does it try to be. It's quite a straightforward slasher but a fairly effective one at that. The mother character particularly was captivating and I never knew what she was going to do or say next. The actress did a superb job making her so stoic and so unpredictable. Characters died who I didn't think would, the focus therefore shifted to people I wouldn't have expected either. Like I say it didn't tread into any new ground, but it still did a good job at making a done to death storyline exciting. The violence was brutal but a bit repetitive and monotonous towards the end.
The final shot did irritate me a little because I could see it coming a mile off too. Speaking of which that whole subplot was a bit jarring and weird. It didn't take me out of the experience as a whole, but it made me scratch my head rather than desperate to know for more answers or information.

Overall this a solid little flick with nice allusions to à l'intérieur, TCM and the like. It has its sore points, but they aren't significant enough to deter from the fun ride that this is. A difficult one to rate. It's IMDb score of 6.4 seem bang on for me though so I'll give it

Deep Red (1975) - Dario Argento

- I first saw this movie like 3 years ago and was a huge fan of it and once again this movie score high. The style is so amazing I mean for a viewer point of view it's BEAUTIFUL from a 70's movie. Every scene as some sort of a creepy mood and the score is legendary. Storyline is good but not great I really like the actors and Dario Argento is a genius. It is bloody and Some of these scenes are really well done. Nicoletta Elmi performance especially from a child is impressive. I like the ending.