Luis' 2019 Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I will do write-ups to every movie I watch this year on here. For the new 2019 releases, portions of my reviews will be taken directly from my website so don't accuse me of plagiarism! lol.

1. Escape Room (2019)

Director: Adam Robitel
If I had to describe Escape Room in one word, it would be: harmless. We’ve seen other years begin with some truly bottom-of-the-barrel films and this 2019 launch may be better than one might think. With a couple of stand-out moments and serviceable enough characters, Escape Room manages to keep its mediocrity balanced. But with an uninteresting execution of its concept, run-of-the-mill turn of events, and truly terrible resolution, I wouldn’t recommend this average at best thriller either.

SCORE - 50/100

2. Iron Man (2008)

Director: Jon Favreau

The MCU has reached heights that only the most optimistic studios wish to touch, and tracing it all back to the 2008 flick, Iron Man is as pleasant as anything gets. A film that manages to balance a confined character study with a thrilling superhero origin story submerged in exciting action sequences and poignant character moments. Top it all off with a vibrant romance at the center of it all, and you’ve got a staple in the comic book film world.

SCORE - 88/100

3. The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Director: Louis Leterrier

When all is said and done, The Incredible Hulk may not be an incredible entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it is a worthy one at that. With an instantly likable central performance from Edward Norton, a very tightly paced story that doesn’t waste any time to set the wheels in motion, and a charming romance that surprisingly serves as the centerpiece to a perfectly entertaining film.

SCORE - 70/100

I was a little higher on Escape Room after seeing it tonight. It certainly isn't great, but I thought it was fun. Black Mirror-ish in a sense. I have no interest in seeing a sequel though.

I was a little higher on Escape Room after seeing it tonight. It certainly isn't great, but I thought it was fun. Black Mirror-ish in a sense. I have no interest in seeing a sequel though.
They're attempt at the end on expanding this to a franchise definitely didn't work for me either. I still had fun though, I'm just very middle-of-the-road on it.

4. Hereditary (2018)

Director: Ari Ashter

Re-watched my favorite film of 2018 for the fifth time yesterday. It's an incredible horror film that in its own twisted way delivers on what you'd want from a horror film, and then some. There are sequences in here that are some of the best directed and shocking I've ever seen in any film. The director is amazing at leaving context clues throughout the film so that you can piece what's going on yourself. The last 20 minutes are shocking, intense, and contain exponentially disturbing imagery. Truly a masterpiece of a horror film.

SCORE - 100/100

5. The Social Network

Director: David Fincher

I thought this was one also great. The dynamic between Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield was awesome in every emotional spectrum. The narrative does a splendid job at setting up a conflict and progressing it through two linear, interconnecting storylines. It's also a fantastic social commentary on human power and the extent that one would take to achieve a certain status. In many ways, it's a combination of a friendship story, a success story, and a political drama,

SCORE - 85/100

6. Iron Man 2

Director: Jon Favreau

[RE-WATCH]
All in all, Iron Man 2 is a film that feels confused in its own jumble of incoherent narrative branches. It is a film that is in part a character study, a political drama, a superhero adventure, and a love story, while at the same time looking to set up future films. Some of its narrative jumps are appropriately charming and entertaining, and the third act is explosive to see play out on screen. But at the end of the day, none of Iron Man 2’s worthwhile qualities are enough to save the film from mediocrity.

SCORE - 53/100

7. Thor

Director: Kenneth Branagh

[RE-WATCH]
Thor is one of the best Marvel Cinematic Universe stand-alone, introductory films. In what feels like a story devoted in character dynamics first, and superhero shenanigans second, Thor never loses track of what makes its landscape interesting or its main character wondrous. By cooking up a storm loyal to consistently arresting mythology, a poignant realization of a brother rivalry, and a near-triumphant execution of a hero’s journey, Thor doesn’t even let a grey romance derail it from its greatness.

SCORE - 84/100