Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2019

→ in
Tools    

Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017
Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2018

Welcome to Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2019

Just like the previous two years I will be keeping a movie log. I'll keep track here of all the films and series I'm (re)watching. Sometimes I'll write something more about a certain film and sometimes I won't. That will depend on my mood and the time I have.
I don't expect to watch as many films as I usually do, because I'll be working a lot more. However, I'm still hoping to watch at least 100 new films this year. Hopefully there'll be a few that are as awesome as my favorites from last year. Every year I discover a few gems, so it's simply a question of where I'll find them this year.

As always, I invite you all to start conversations about the films I post here. As most of you will know, I'm always open for a good debate. Enjoy!

LOG 2019:

January

#1 - The House That Jack Built (2018) ~ January 2
#2 - The Doors (1991) ~ January 5
#3 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) ~ January 9
#4 - The Favourite (2018) ~ January 10
REWATCH #1 - The Mask (1994) ~ January 12
REWATCH #2 - Five Easy Pieces (1970) ~ January 14
#5 - Little Big Man (1970) ~ January 15
#6 - A Star Is Born (2018) ~ January 22
#7 - Pretty Baby (1978) ~ January 23
#8 - Local Hero (1983) ~ January 24
#9 - Female Trouble (1974) ~ January 25
#10 - While We're Young (2014) ~ January 26

February

#11 - The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970) ~ February 1
REWATCH #3 - Forrest Gump (1994) ~ February 2
#12 - A Wedding (1978) ~ February 2
#13 - Fyre (2019) ~ February 3
#14 - Me and Orson Welles (2008) ~ February 4

#1 - The House That Jack Built (2018) ~ January 2

Von Trier is as deliciously crazy as he should be. Thoroughly enjoyed this trip through some of the darkest spots of one of cinema's most twisted minds.

#2 - The Doors (1991) ~ January 5

Fantastic music biography by Oliver Stone that only gets better as it goes forward. As always, Stone doesn't shy away from the more controversial and crazy stuff. And talking of crazy: Val Kilmer is truly crazy good in this.
Thoroughly enjoyed it! "I am the lizard king!"

It's nice to see some praise for The Doors, Cob. I love it, they're my favourite band and I usually like Stone's films. The 'old' ones, anyway. Also agree that Kilmer was fantastic in this.

#3 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) ~ January 9

Watched along with my sister and her boyfriend as they wanted to watch this on Netflix. There was some cool stuff in here, but there were also a few typically cringe worthy moments, as with most Marvel films (which I tend to think are always mediocre anyway).
I do like the GotG universe, though. It has a cool 80s sci-fi vibe that I can appreciate. It's just a shame that the stories inside of it are so safe and predictable.

#4 - The Favourite (2018) ~ January 10

My "favourite" Lanthimos film so far. What an astounding piece of cinema! The picture believably tells an insane story filled with power games, sex, mental suffering and decadence. This costume drama will go down as one of the best of its kind, even though it's a little filthier than most others.

The most I wrote about it was the second time (of three) I saw it. It's not very amazing or in-depth, but here's what I said:

Such a vibrant film, booming with life. The first time I saw it I was struck by the main trio (Weisz, Colman, and Stone) and the power dynamics between their characters. I still think that’s the highlight - easily the best ensemble of the year.

This time though I was really taken by the cinematography. I seem to like the fisheye shots more every time they show up, and the close-ups - of Stone in particular - are gorgeous. It feels like Lanthimos and his DP Robbie Ryan had a confident understanding of what they wanted with the camerawork overall while still allowing themselves an avenue for creative freedom, because there are plenty of recurring techniques and as a whole it feels strongly cohesive, but also never stops feeling fresh and inventive. A nice balance to have.
The third time I noticed Hoult's performance, which I love too, and some thematic/story stuff I hadn't picked up before - most notably that the power play is done with a lot of humiliation amongst the characters, and that the sex stuff is integral to understanding the characters and the film as a whole (listening to Stone talk about or deal with sex helped me understand her character and motivations more clearly). Lastly, it was funnier the third time for me. Although I noticed the use of humor the first two viewings I was personally cracking up quite a bit the third.

Overall, a lot to love about the film!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think it's probably my favorite of his too, although with all the technical expertise on display, it's probably the least satisfying film it could be.

REWATCH #1 - The Mask (1994) ~ January 12

The bits where Carrey has the mask on are still as awesome as they always were and Cameron Diaz still looks freaking amazing in this. But besides that, it's a bit weaker than I remember it to be, although it's still a very decent (and original) comedy superhero flick.

REWATCH #2 - Five Easy Pieces (1970) ~ January 14

I've been wanting to rewatch this for a couple of weeks now and I finally got to it. MoFos who've been following me for a while know that this is one of my favorite films of all time (it also made my top 101 thread a few years ago) and it especially speaks to me in a profound way during this transitional stage of my life.
It's a perfect character piece with that almost inimitable 'end of 60s atmosphere' to it. The scene where Jack plays his "easy piece" for his brother's fiancee is one of the greatest slices of cinema ever, in my opinion. A cold-blooded seduction or a truthful moment where the main character shows how hurt he really feels inside while failing to honestly express it? Deliciously ambiguous, but I think the warmth of the scene says it all.
This also features one of Nicholson's best performances ever. People should never forget what an iconic actor he really was. He showcases his practically unmatched charisma and depth as a performer in this piece, and together with the fantastic writing and filmmaking, it makes for one of the most honest and masterful films ever.

#5 - Little Big Man (1970) ~ January 15

A very peculiar and hugely entertaining western dramedy adventure. There are witty dialogues ("Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision"), constant new shifts in the story and many climactic scenes that often brilliantly balance the worst kind of tragedy with the relatively light-footed tone of the overall film. Unique experience.

#6 - A Star Is Born (2018) ~ January 22

Haven't seen the three previous versions yet, but I liked this one. Gaga and Cooper are great performers!

#7 - Pretty Baby (1978) ~ January 23

A brutally, disturbingly honest picture about a 12 year old girl (played by the then 12 year old Brooke Shields) growing up as a prostitute in a whore house in New Orleans in 1917. The film is beautifully shot and there are some seemingly lightweight scenes, but there's a constant atmosphere of creepiness, sorrow and pure darkness surrounding the events that are portrayed. Malle sketches a savage, almost hellish world (even though he does his very best not to make it seem like hell on the surface) that's based on sheer survival. Malle decided to make this film as a non-judging storyteller. The result is quite stunning and revealing.

Beautiful, poetic, subtly funny and at times deliciously ungraspable film. I loved this quite a lot and am sure this will hold up really well during rewatches. It's that kind of movie. The soundtrack by Mark Knopfler is also fantastic!

Unregistered User

Beautiful, poetic, subtly funny and at times deliciously ungraspable film. I loved this quite a lot and am sure this will hold up really well during rewatches. It's that kind of movie. The soundtrack by Mark Knopfler is also fantastic!

Good to hear. Ive got this recorded so hopefully I'll get to it soon. Didnt even know about the Knopfler soundtrack! Bonus.

#9 - Female Trouble (1974) ~ January 25

Crazy, trashy and entertaining John Waters picture which especially gets better and better towards the end. This was my second Waters experience (I already saw Pink Flamingos in the past) and it's my favorite yet. The next Waters film I'll watch (but not immediately) will probably be Desperate Living or Polyester, as they also look interesting and from the same trashy type as the other two I've already seen.