Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I thought John C. Reilly stole the show. Seems like he's getting a lot of good work lately. J. Phoenix didn't seem to fit his role; and J. Gyllenhaal was wasted on his.

Hefty actors, lightweight story; although it holds one's interest to see how it ends. I'm beginning to think Phoenix is best in stoner type rolls, or ones where he plays a character of lesser intelligence.

~Doc
Agree with all those points GulfportDoc. I was thinking that John C. Reilly (as his production company produced this among others) was not the man to have the "core" of the story.

Gyllenhaal was wasted as you say but the story itself was so thin it would have taken a Jack Nicholson in his younger days to imbue it with meaning.

Very good indie movie about a young man confused by his sexuality. Set in Brooklyn, NY & I was amazed that the excellent lead actor is British.

Oceans 8 (2018)

This is the highest I can give this movie, and it honestly should be lower. It contained very little of the flair that make the previous iterations so great. The look of the movie was noteworthy, but the script and actual heist were very ordinary.

Welcome to the human race...
Bird Box -

gotta stop falling for these damn Netflix event movies

Murder Mountain (2018) [original title: Murder Mountain: Welcome to Humboldt County] Directed by Joshua Zeman for Lightbox Productions.

This is a fascinating 6 episode documentary about the infamous marijuana trade in Humboldt County, California, and it's history. It features several associated crimes (including murder) that took place there within the past 15 year period, including the recent times post legalization..

"Murder Mountain" refers to the name locals gave to an area full of pot farms and outlaws. It's located a few miles NE of Garberville, CA, 150 miles north of San Francisco, in southern Humboldt Co.

There are several points of focus which thread throughout the production. Several murders are highlighted, but the underlining narrative portrays marijuana farming and associated market both before and after legalization.

Having lived in northern Humboldt Co. for 20 years, I was particularly drawn to the illegal industry that we were all aware of, but seldom had any direct exposure to. The area of Pacific Northwest redwoods, which is isolated by geographical and travel barriers, has a particular draw to people who want to eschew flatland and metropolitan civilization. Many of its citizens have a yearning for privacy which is satisfied by the county's isolation. There's really no other section of America like it, with the exception of Alaska, and possibly areas in Appalachia.

What occurred to me while watching was that legalization (and I believe all drugs should be legally freely obtainable) started to draw to an end the dangerous crime associated with clandestine production and sales, it revealed and brought into focus the evils of governmental crime: regulation, taxation, monopoly, and totalitarian control. While the immediate effect of marijuana legalization was to reduce the price, and to relieve some of the dangerous associated crime, government is now free to move in to regulate, tax, and restrict any natural innovation. The only bright light in that regard is the Fed's recent bills by Congress which will prevent Big Pharma from locking up marijuana products with patents, and from driving up the prices.

But most viewers will be mesmerized by the series, which is as much a crime drama as it is a well presented documentary. Available on Netflix and streaming services.

Doc's rating: 8/10

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I don't know if this came out here or was on for more than a week. Listened to a pod that Barinholtz talked about it on. Sounded like a good idea for a movie.

LUKAS (2018) JULIEN LECLERCQ

French movie, about the struggle of a night bouncer widower (Jean‑Claude Van Damme) in Brussels, Belgium with a 8-years-old daughter to raise. I didn't picked this movie because I liked the main actor like I believe most people did, I fond the story appealing and the actor was appealing as well. This is not a "kill everyone" kinda of movie, is a dramatic movie with good action. Jean-Claude Van Damme was great, might be the best performance of his carrear which is not a great complement, might be the first time he acted, he was mysterious, down to earth, cold and quiet, perfection for the role. A dark and realistic movie with a very heavy character are the two main reason for liking this movie.

ASHER (2018) MICHAEL CATON-JONES

Just picked this movie because I've always liked Ron Perlman (not just from Hellboy) and the solitary type hitman kind of movie always catch my attention. If you like Ron Perlman as well, watch the movie, is watchable, if you don't really have any type of opinion about Ron Perlman, don't watch the movie, the story had some potencial but was poorly executed, from the dialogue to the distribution of action.

Mandy (2018)

A mixed bag for me. I heard the last 45 minutes were crazy but I thought the whole thing was a little reserved, including Nic Cage's performance. Good style at times, but at other times I thought it was overkill. I thought it was ok but nothing special.

A mixed bag for me. I heard the last 45 minutes were crazy but I thought the whole thing was a little reserved, including Nic Cage's performance. Good style at times, but at other times I thought it was overkill. I thought it was ok but nothing special.
I actually enjoyed more the first moments of the movie. I liked the romanticized way they made the beginnings, the scene they are watching TV was one of my favorites, the vulgar talk about planets while they are in bed, another good scene the director decided to cut was the Gas Station, talked about Red Miller & Mandy background, he a drunk loser and she's kinda of a whore. No one can follow the story in this movie to like it, is more a detail, emotion and visual kind of movie, enjoying each individual scene, is kinda of a nostalgic fan-boy type of thing, like the Cheddar Goblin TV commercial that people enjoyed so much. I approach this in a Tarantino kind of way, the violence is just an add.