Tools    

The Deer Hunter (1978)
| Drama, War | 3h 3min

Directed by:
Michael Cimino
Starring:
Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, Meryl Streep, John Cazale

★★

The movie is not about the war itself but about the effects of war on relationships and sanity.
The wedding scene was so long I felt bad I didn't bring a gift. Sure it develops character, but it's inefficient in the way it does so.
The film improves when the characters enter 'the war'.
The Russian Roulette scene is regarded as one of the best movie scenes of all time, and it shows. The acting and the tension in the scene is phenomenal.
Michael's (DeNiro) troubled attempts to blend back into civilian life; his tentative romance with Linda (Streep) is really engaging and well-acted, as is his inability to reconnect with his friends.
"Screenwriter Deric Washburn didn’t interview a single veteran to research the script."
Of all the documentaries testimonies, memoirs I've seen,
I've never come across anyone who even knows of someone who went insane to the point that Nicky (Walken) did.
It makes those last scenes a bit inauthentic for me. The final scene keeps it very real but also very depressing.

Great acting, an epic scene, slow pace and an overly long runtime.

I'm not sure why you found the character development insufficient, I was involved with the characters from the very beginning and felt really authentic, the hunting trip really stands out for me as one of the best parts of the movie in fact before they enter the war

I've never come across anyone who even knows of someone who went insane to the point that Nicky (Walken) did..
How many people have you asked about it? I just did a quick search... an estimate of the total suicide deaths of veterans of the Vietnam War is about 9,000, I wonder how sane all of those were.

it was
for me
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Never said it was insufficient.. it was inefficient.. wedding took about an hour wich is unnecessarily long for character development.. Take 'The Godfather' wedding for example, Coppola only needed 20/30 min. (for more characters)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
8/10 -- the wedding scene is not only slow-paced, but had a lot of waste that should have been cut. I also think the impromptu singing of "God Bless America" is a bit of a waste.I definitely think the 2nd half is better, but I love the song "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" by The Four Seasons, which was the first time I heard it (actually on a trip up north during Labor Day).