Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Godafther Part II (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974)

I have been watching a lot of films over Christmas, including the first two Godfather films again. I saw Part II last night and was reminded of its brilliance. Both films are so rich and full of detail, not just in terms of story but in what each frame holds together.Tthe combination of performance, scenery, music and editing shows how powerful cinema can be in telling such a tragedy. I think when I first saw this film I was a little thrown by the overall structure of it, but like its best mini sequences that expertly cut across parallel storylines, here I felt the full power of two fantastic tales converging. It is the first time I've watched this and found myself perhaps agreeing with those who say it is superior to the first, although both are definite masterpieces.

1st Re-watch...I think I liked it better the second time than the first.
Cute film. It's the type of story that could have been made in the '40s or '50s: full of romance with a good ending. Could that be why it's made back 8 times it's budget?

An interesting point is that, although Rachel Chu in the story is criticized by her boyfriend's mother as being, "not Chinese, but Chinese American", most of the characters are themselves Chinese Singaporean, not Chinese nationals.

~Doc

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Sign of the Leo - 9/10
My favorite Rohmer. Great movie about a guy who thinks he's inherited millions, only to be denied. Then he wanders, trying to get around.. If anyone knows of any movies similar, I'd appreciate it. (Umberto D reminds of one, and a few others).

Welcome to the human race...
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch -

WARNING: "VIEW POSITIVE COMMENT" spoilers below
Certainly something different.

WARNING: "VIEW NEGATIVE COMMENT" spoilers below
Still unsure if I want to take the time to revisit it in the hopes of making better choices.

Eddie the Eagle (2016)

Ach, not bad, better than I had expected. Not sure it merits a feature film, I'll expect one with Mr Motivator next, or Roland Rat (on point references for all you whippersnappers out there) 5/10.

Weird is relative.

North By Northwest (1959)

Cary Grant really reminds me of George Clooney.

Something about late '50s and '60s films is so comforting to me. I love this time period. The automobiles, the music, the women's hairstyles and outfits, the furniture, the design of the more "modern" architecture...

It's a fairly good movie, but predictable. The bumbling nature of the protagonist annoyed me, although I know that's how he was supposed to act.

It must have been part of the inspiration for the James Bond films, as well as spy spoofs, and that's certainly commendable.

Roar (1981)

This is actually a total crap movie but yet very fascinating to watch due to the production story. I believe it started out with the goal of being a family adventure type of film and turned into I don't know what. Forget plot and think a bunch of people mixed in with a bunch of real wild animals, mostly big cats. This is when Melanie Griffith got mauled (scene above) turning her into one of the world's greatest butterfaces. She had 50 stitches to the face and was in danger of losing an eye, and she was one of the lucky ones. Her crazy mom Tippi Hedren fractured her leg and was bitten on the neck by a lion. Her psychotic husband, and star and director, Noel Marshall sustained so many injuries that he got gangrene and it took him years to recover. Jan de Bont who would later direct Speed was friggin scalped by a lion resulting in 220 stitches. There were countless other injuries sustained by cast and crew, many of which are shown onscreen. Knowing all of this is part of what makes the movie interesting to watch, along with the animals being completely awe-inspiring. There are some very thrilling scenes knowing the real life stakes. Unfortunately, artistically, it is trash.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch -

WARNING: "VIEW POSITIVE COMMENT" spoilers below
Certainly something different.

WARNING: "VIEW NEGATIVE COMMENT" spoilers below
Still unsure if I want to take the time to revisit it in the hopes of making better choices.

I "watched" this yesterday too with my brother. I've only seen a few Black Mirror episodes but I do find it interesting.

I thought the episode was okay - I ended up with...

WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
5/5 game release and game revived at end

...but then went back a few times after that just to explore a few options. Some smart people online have already mapped out the choices pretty well. Overall I found the choice element to be a bit distracting and maybe it could have been realised a bit better and been more darker, but considering its pretty much the first of its kind as you say its certainly something new and interesting.

Welcome to the human race...
I do wonder how much I can rate it if I don't take 100% of the different choices - if anything, it seems like the ending you got is the only one I didn't manage (I think you get railroaded to the credits after a while anyway rather than just being allowed to reset from a different point of divergence so I'd have to start from the beginning and follow a map to that particular outcome, which I may or may not do).

Vice (2018) -

The world's worst dick joke.

I do wonder how much I can rate it if I don't take 100% of the different choices - if anything, it seems like the ending you got is the only one I didn't manage (I think you get railroaded to the credits after a while anyway rather than just being allowed to reset from a different point of divergence so I'd have to start from the beginning and follow a map to that particular outcome, which I may or may not do).

Yeah it feels more like a video game akin to Until Dawn rather than a film or even a TV episode. I wouldn't want to give it a rating compared to my normal standards but as far as the concept ofBlack Mirror goes it fits in nicely. As much as it was interesting to go back at the end and change a few choices out of curiosity, it kind of ruined the impact of it all and the end result was the whole thing felt a bit inconsequential, ironically. If I had turned it off after the credits originally hit, I think I would have been happier.

Roar (1981)

This is actually a total crap movie but yet very fascinating to watch due to the production story. I believe it started out with the goal of being a family adventure type of film and turned into I don't know what. Forget plot and think a bunch of people mixed in with a bunch of real wild animals, mostly big cats. This is when Melanie Griffith got mauled (scene above) turning her into one of the world's greatest butterfaces. She had 50 stitches to the face and was in danger of losing an eye, and she was one of the lucky ones. Her crazy mom Tippi Hedren fractured her leg and was bitten on the neck by a lion. Her psychotic husband, and star and director, Noel Marshall sustained so many injuries that he got gangrene and it took him years to recover. Jan de Bont who would later direct Speed was friggin scalped by a lion resulting in 220 stitches. There were countless other injuries sustained by cast and crew, many of which are shown onscreen. Knowing all of this is part of what makes the movie interesting to watch, along with the animals being completely awe-inspiring. There are some very thrilling scenes knowing the real life stakes. Unfortunately, artistically, it is trash.

That's pretty intriguing Cricket. Probably not enough to watch film (as you've said) butpretty mad story.

White boy Rick (2018)

Pretty enjoyable true story about a (seems) white trash kid getting in over his head too young with the authoritiies and then paying the price. Could have done with more Matthew McConaughey really. Main actor was rather stilted.

Not bad, never made me want to search out or research the true story though 6/10.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Vice (2018)

I think this is what you get when McKay tries to eat shrooms for a
month while writing a script like Sorkin but he can't handle the magic.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

Good nasty that was on the Horror Channel the other day. Some of the make-up and acting is iffy but overall a great scary atmosphere (taken from the apocryphal source material of Sawney Bean if things are to be believed). In ways I found this less exploitative than the remake. Also, Dee Wallace Strong 8/10.