Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.

Brillará el sol, no teniendo alternativa.

Edit: okay, never mind, I don’t feel like leaving this as a single phrase post. There’s much value in trying to properly capture the dread of the moment and films this year, from something like First Reformed to the freakin’ Avengers, have done their part. But this movie is similarly vital. Arguably more so, less we grow numb.

“We’re still here.”

I just needed to hear those words in my language.

Was on telly last night, so I recorded it.

Ghostbusters (2016)

The first 10 minutes has not 1, not 2, not, 3... but 5 jokes about Wonton Soup, and... drum roll for the amazing writing.......... a fart gag.

The rest of the film is sporadic Wonton Soup gags, jokes about lady-parts, aiming the proton-beams at male-ghost groins, and an unhealthy amount of disguised misandry.
What I mean is... every single male character is either dumb and/or incompetent, or they're evil and/or misogynistic... but is played as "part of the humour".
Disguised misandry. Awesome.

Now, as much as I loved the cartoon as a kid, this movie feels like a live action version of the cartoon.
All 4 of the lead-characters is a comic relief, all 4 of the lead-characters is slapstick, all 4 of the lead-characters is also a brilliant scientist... all at the same time.

For a comedy movie about ghosts... ultimately it's just unfunny and soulless.
That's 2 hours I'm not getting back Still though, glad I waited for it to appear for free on telly.

I think the only reason I'd suggest watching this... is if you want to see exactly why Ghostbusters 2 was actually a masterpiece.
Gonna say something I never thought I'd say... but even the RoboCop remake was better than this.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah yeah, and the only female characters of any significance across both of the original movies are a possessed damsel and a shrewish secretary so they're clearly misogynistic (never mind the ghost blowjob). Maybe the reason I liked the remake as much as I did is because the original set such easy-to-meet standards.

The Muppet Christmas Carol -

Speaking of likeable ghost movies...

Sure the women in the original could be said to be stereotyped, but at least the original wasn't actually going for that tone purposely.

I mean... Dana Barrett's involvement as a damsel in distress, was as a love interest for Venkman.
She was also given a stronger characterisation in the sequel as a protective mother to Oscar... and she gives Venkman a hard time as well and stands her ground more than once.

As for the shrewish secretary in the original.
I actually found Janine a strong character who had attitude and the balls to stand up to the male characters.
She was changed a lot in the sequel to match the cartoon but she's still likeable and funny, especially when she gets broody while babysitting with Louis.
---
Chris Hemsworth in the remake, was dumb and stupid, for the sake of making a male character dumb and stupid.
Like all of the other male characters, they were given that treatment for the sake of it.

Look at every female character in the remake. They're all strong characters, no exceptions.
But, the male characters = Dumb and stupid, or, evil and misogynistic... and again, there's no exceptions.

I did think it was a nice touch that Hemsworth was the only quote-unquote stupid man in the movie and even then he was still consistently nicer to the Ghostbusters than literally any other man in the movie, as if to suggest that if a complete idiot like him could still avoid being a dick then there's no excuse for the smart ones (thus making a point of distinguishing between one's intelligence and one's capacity for bigotry, which was only driven home by the villain being a human mad scientist). If nothing else, there's a little more to it than "disguised misandry".

The Snowman -

just racking up all the Christmas movies this year so I never have to bother with them again in subsequent Christmases

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Star in the Night (Don Siegel, 1945)
- that's a real 3.5, so that means this Holiday classic short is probably better than all the current "great" films that everybody's talking about this year. Watch/rewatch it below.

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (2018).

great "amalgam" of a bunch of Rudyard Kipling tales but sticking closely to the Cinematic Jungle Book story. Well directed buy the likeable Andy Serkis who also voices Balooo.

Most enjoyable, 8/10.

I've seen this mentioned on MOFO a few times and it's been on my watchlist for a long time but I just got around to watching last night. The acting is a little hammy but the story is good. Thought it was going to be a zombie film, which I'm a little burnt out on, so the fact that it wasn't REALLY a zombie film was nice.

I've seen this several times and, like the Exorcist, it keeps getting funnier every single time I see it. Simply a vehicle for Rodney to do his thing - deliver one liners. I love seeing Joe Pesci in comedies because he's so good in them and Taylor Negron (always liked him also) as Julio is a riot.

Truth or Dare (2018)

Patchy thriller about a possessed game gone wrong (or right!). Showing the effects it has on our heroes, who are just a bit little saccharine sweet for me. Nothing to write home about but filled a couple of hours. 5/10

This might just do nobody any good.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Best one since “Empire”.

Weird is relative.
The Conformist (1970)

This one had the potential to be a masterpiece. It has a fabulous score, an intriguing script with subtle suspense, and is beautifully shot, but it falls short, maybe because the protagonist has such a cold and even sociopathic personality. He seems like an automaton going through the motions of what he thinks he should do, without possessing any real values or ideals of his own - and so he is only too ready to throw people under the bus, disregarding any emotional ties they have to him or others.

Black Girl (1966)

I liked this stylish little woman from Senegal, so the ending is sad and disappointing. I suppose this film was probably meant to be a political commentary on the unfortunate situations of immigrants in that time period...

Bel Canto
decent enough little adaptation from Moore, book is likely better.

Peppermint
Imagine going to the generic factory and getting nothing but generic

COME AND SEE / IDI I SMOTRI (1985) ELEM KLIMOV

Two young boys playing the war, one is the evil German soldier, the other is just hiding. While they are playing they are also searching for guns. One of them found a gun on a old trench fully covered with sand. He was now capable of fighting the war. The rest is pure ... horrifying transformation of humbleness into madness.

What makes this movie so different from all the others of the genre, at least for me personally, is that is propaganda free and I don't see the director's attempt of inviting a emotion he wants on the viewers, you don't see a button, and I love that. In this movie you experience a large panoply of emotions, from comedy, to fear, to horror most of them captured from a face to face angle that is almost hypnotizing, is the horror looking you in the face, come and see. The explosion scenes are magnificent, I've never saw anything so good, I was astonished how could they make something like that with there budget.

I've said before this is the best movie of the genre, that was a little over the top because I consider La vita è bella a creative masterpiece, but this one comes close. Horrifying, terrifying, hypnotizing, visceral masterpiece. If anyone ever ask me what I think war is, I will just say: Come and See.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★
Good movie...
This is a hell of a hyped movie. Lav Dias and Bela Tarr are being doing this kind of cinema for years. Now come this Cuarón, who can't develop his characters right, and still all the merits. It isn't nothing new.
It's true, it's very well shot, but that is the only good thing in this.

Baskin (2015)

-

I thought this had a lot of promise before turning into an incoherent mess of a Hellraiser rip-off. Every scene in the movie has very dark lighting, which I liked, and it does have strong tension and gore.

Star in the Night (Don Siegel, 1945)
- that's a real 3.5, so that means this Holiday classic short is probably better than all the current "great" films that everybody's talking about this year. Watch/rewatch it below.
That's a very nice Christmas short film; a feel good spiritual message that has fallen out of vogue.

It's interesting that J. Carrol Naish, who played the Italian motel/diner owner, was in fact an Irishman from NYC. He was a very busy character actor who played many races and dialects...... except for IRISH..

Nice pick.

~Doc

The Christmas Chronicles -

A movie where Kurt Russell is stuck in a major American city and only has a few hours to complete a vitally important mission? Sounds stupid.