My Favorite Robert Duvall Performances

Tools    

Tom Hagen, The Godfather

Personally, I have always felt this movie is a little overrated, but not Duvall's Oscar nominated performance as the Corleone family "legal consultant."

Mac Sledge, Tender Mercies

Duvall won his only Oscar playing an alcoholic former country and western singer trying to start a new life with a young widow (Tess Harper) and her son.

The Apostle E.F., The Apostle

Duvall received another Oscar nomination playing a man finding a new career as a radio preacher. My father was an extra in this movie.

Lt. Co. "Bull" Meachum, The Great Santini

Duvall gave a gutsy and uncompromising performance that earned him an Oscar nomination as a hard-nosed Marine pilot who has a troubled relationship with his son (Michael O'Keefe).

Joseph Palmer, The Judge

Duvall was brilliant in another Oscar nominated performance playing a retired judge who has been accused of murder and must depend on his estranged son (Robert Downey Jr.) to defend him. This character was so reprehensible but Duvall makes you forget every nasty thing he says and does in the scene where he meets his granddaughter for the first time.

As I reach #2, I realize that I probably could have done 25 or 30 choices with this actor...and since I think my # 1 is going to be a surprise, I have to go with a few honorable mentions first:

Felix Bush, Get Low
LC Cheever, Lucky You
Captain, Thank You for Smoking
Doc Brunder, Phenomenon
Jay Wagner, Breakout
Dr. Watson, The Seven Percent Solution

OK, here we go...just a reminder before the hostility begins that this is my opinion and my opinion only...these are not necessarily the best, these are MY favorites, that's all...OK, and now, my favorite Robert Duvall performance:

Frank Hackett, Network

I freaking LOVE this performance...Duvall is explosive and funny as the head of a television network who creates a media Frankenstein out of a mentally shredded anchorman (the late Peter Finch) but then realizes his monster is getting in the way of his own bottom line. I have mentioned this several times on this site and I will say it again here. This 1976 classic is one of two films in cinema history to win three of the four acting awards that year and I have always been of the belief that if Duvall had been nominated instead of Ned Beatty, this film would have won all four awards.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.

Robert Duvall rocks... He's one of my favorite actors who's still working. I always know if he's in the movie it's worth watching. Great list Gideon! Many of my favorite Duvall movies where in your list...some I've never seen, but now thanks to your list I want to watch them

This might just do nobody any good.
Cool list. Duvall in Network is great piece of heightened evil.

This is a.very good thread about one of my favorite actors of all time - in fact, I think he may possibly be our most gifted living actor . This thread was first written before I became active on Mofo so I' m glad it was 'bumped' .

I love how you describe him in your intro as being a reliable screen presence and ' rock solid' character actor. I also put Santini and Apostle at the top of my personal ratings. I never saw Judge, so will have to seek that out.

And although this was, as stated, a purely personal list on your part; I was surprised not to see him listed as Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird. So in lieu of having the patience and diligence to make my own list, I hope you don't mind if I offer an observation on the Radley role

Although it wa a small part, it was truly riveting, a crucial character to the film ; and I believe, it was his debut moment on screen. ( Much like Jack Nicholson in Easy Rider. this quickly seen and gone, but unforgettable character was so indelible , it launched a new career.)

It's amazing when you think of it that the shivering, pathologically shy Boo and the dominating harshly stern Santini were both played so convincingly - and authentically - by one man. Duvall may not have gotten the heaping accolades or media attention of other actors of our time. But perhaps the measure of a truly great actor - which I believe Duvall is- is that you remember the character more vividly then the actor who plays him.

At any rate, thanks for the list @Gideon58 and for reminding us of his many roles, some of which I will be re- watching , and some of which I will now discover.