Why are NC-17 movies still a problem for theaters?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I wasn't really looking for any messages, but assumed if there was one, it had to be bad.

It's more a satire on show business.

Funnily enough, Showgirls' message rings true today more than it ever did: Most people at the top of the ladder in show business is either a pervert or a rapist.

I wasn't really looking for any messages, but assumed if there was one, it had to be bad.
So you're accusing it having a "crappy message" but don't even know if it had one at all? Sure, makes sense.

It's more a satire on show business.

Funnily enough, Showgirls' message rings true today more than it ever did: Most people at the top of the ladder in show business is either a pervert or a rapist.
What's wrong being a pervert though?

Well the person said the reason why it got an NC-17 was because of the tone and the message, so I felt whatever message that was, it must have been bad.

I knew it was satire though.

Nc 17 movies are a thing of the past, it s not lke we are still in the 90s where u would see an nc 17 rated film every 2 or 3 month, basic instinct times are long gone

If they are a thing of the past then how come people won't move on and release movies with darker content then?

That's why they're a thing of the past. As I said in my first post in this thread, they don't make money.

But why doesn't any adults want to see an NC-17 movie? I mean kids like the idea of seeing an R rated movie, right? So wouldn't people at the age of 18 be keen on the idea of seeing an NC-17 one?

I'm not American, but from what I can tell there's something that hangs over the rating which isn't something people want to be connected to or seen liking/enjoying. Basically, I think MV had it right. Violence is fine, sex is bad.

Well it was said before on here that people do not want to see sex in theaters but do not mind it at home, hence why there is a lot of content on Netlfix and streaming such as Game of Thrones for example, that would be rated NC-17 if it went to theaters.

However, people go to theater to see R rated sexual content in movies all the time, like Magic Mike and 50 Shades of Grey for example. So why does that not bother audiences in theaters but an NC-17 movie with sex in will?

show me one nc-17 movie that is close to as marketable as Magic Mike. That's your answer.

Well Showgirls has a lot of women strippers so wouldn't that be as marketable as Magic Mike cause they are strippers, stripping and all?

Well Showgirls has a lot of women strippers so wouldn't that be as marketable as Magic Mike cause they are strippers, stripping and all?
no

why not?

But that's my point. People will see an R rated movie with sexual content but they are uncomfortable with an NC-17 one for some reason.