Why do some of you just quit watching a Movie?

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Unless you ask for a refund, of course, but that's obviously a whole other topic.

I just like how _thatguy- assumes that this is all a conspiracy to get people to pay money for "lesser" movies when so far the main argument for watching movies to the end is to actually give them a chance to prove themselves to be good after a potentially rocky start (and, like Dani said, they presumably already have your money by that point). The OP even talks sh*t about obviously terrible movies like Son of the Mask, so the "pay to watch lesser movies" agenda really is a huge projection on _thatguy-'s part.

Now I wonder what kind of taste must a person have if the first 10 minutes of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon convinces them that movies have been going bad since 2000.

Don't really trust anyone on this site anymore including and especially myself.
LOL. Cheerful thought.

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
Here goes nothing...

The only movie I ever quit watching was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Sometimes I will become too tired to finish a movie. Most recently it was Angel Heart (which I plan on adding to my collection, as I liked it upon finishing). In the case of the former, I found it a chore to read the subtitles as I only understand English, but I knew about the hoopla for this flick and my father in-law owns it.

I just never got back to finishing it. It wasn't bad and I was interested before pausing it, but since that night I have not felt compelled to finish it.

I will say that sometimes watching a movie through is often rewarding (e.g. Angel Heart, as early on I was like hmm...then I was like wow!.) However, a lot of movies I wish I hadn't wasted my time on. Usually, they're good enough, but there have been some where I've been like ugh...I could've done something else for two hours (e.g. American Hustle, Life of Pi, The Road, Barton Fink).

I would have to get really bored to the point im pissed off to quit watching a movie and never return to it, or sometimes i'm just not in the mood at the time and never get back to it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I would have to get really bored to the point im pissed off to quit watching a movie and never return to it, or sometimes i'm just not in the mood at the time and never get back to it.
I walked out of Alien Covenant last night. Today I told my husband I wanted to watch a movie. He suggested Alien covenant. LOL. No thank you.

I walked out of Alien Covenant last night. Today I told my husband I wanted to watch a movie. He suggested Alien covenant. LOL. No thank you.
They shouldve stopped after the second and let it be a perfect movie and sequel.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
They shouldve stopped after the second and let it be a perfect movie and sequel.
I concur. I really wanted to like this because the trailer just had such a nice look but nup. Couldnt cope.

I often will quit watching a film it gives me a headache or something like that.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I often will quit watching a film it gives me a headache or something like that.
You know what? Good point. I didn't leave a theater for it but I have started and stopped some Bourne movies for just that.

I quit a movie if I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of it. To me art and entertainment are the same thing and bad entertainment isn't a time well spent. Forcing yourself to watch (subjectively) bad films doesn't make you a better person.

Also the whole idea of having some moral requirement to fully experience a piece of art is nonsense. I don't have any responsibility towards the artist just like s/he doesn't have any responsibilities towards me. I can vote with my money, I can decide how I spend my time and they can decide (with the producers) what kind of art they want to do. It's nothing mystical, it's just a choice whether you'd rather do something else.

But you don't watch out every movie out there. You don't have the time. You use some intuition in selecting the ones you do. Why criticize people who try a movie and find some time after starting it, it isn't for them or just isn't good?

I'm reminded of that one episode of Seinfeld where Kramer watches half a movie about a coma patient and decides that's enough to make him want to be taken off life support if he ever ends up in a coma only to resume it later and change his mind once he realises that coma patients can still wake up on their own.

But seriously, I don't think people are necessarily obligated to finish every film they start but I do think that it inherently limits their ability to judge it and thus makes it harder to take their opinions on such films too seriously. You can watch ten minutes and decide that it's not worth your time, but you can't automatically argue for it being an overall bad movie if all you saw was the first ten minutes.

This topic reminds me of an experience when I was young (around 12 or 13 years old) - one of my older brothers took me to see a movie called FM (1978).

It's a little known film that some believed was the inspiration for the TV series WKRP in Cincinnati (but the pilot for the TV series was already filmed before this movie was released) - the movie was about a radio station's DJ's rebelling against increasing on-air advertising and revolved around an upcoming Linda Ronstadt concert.

I was bored and found the film intolerable as none of it interested me (I was hardly into what was the current music scene at the time) - I was really mad at my brother for taking me to it and making me sit through it. But here's the thing: it was never a "great" film or anything, but it really pulled together by the end and I found myself actually engaged in the climax. I ended up really enjoying it and part of the enjoyment was how I pretty much hated the first half of the film!

Lesson learned: best to watch a film to the end - sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bless you. At least you CAN sleep. I've been suffering from insomnia all my life. I wish there were a movie that puts me to sleep. I think the last time that happened was in 1996.

Have you tried watching "The Trial of Billy Jack"?

I will only turn off a movie if its:
1.) Terribly Bad.
2.) Terribly Boring.
and 3.) Terribly Preaching (I don't want two hours on how I am destroying the world if I eat meat; I want to be entertained, not lectured).

The Trial of Billy Jack is all three. The movie is three hours, the trial is over in the first 15 minutes, the rest of the movie is a slow, slow slog (with a 40 minute vision quest during which Billy Jack slaps Jesus Christ) and more preaching against "The White Man", Men and "The Man" in general.

If it doesn't anger you, then it will put you to sleep somewhere between the first to second hour mark. My bad movie group revolted and walked out halfway through when they found out that there was still an hour and a half left. I only managed to finish it to prove that it could be done.

Try that one. If it doesn't put you to sleep, then I don't know what will.

Beatle apparently got banned, he isn't going to see that.

I don't think I can fall asleep watching movies, even ones I've seen already.

I quit watching for example red sparrow for the lack of any music during the scenes, lacked any tension, it just felt not a film but rather a documentary being shown on tv

I have also quit watching movies; but I never take it as something definitive. The first time I watched Kusturica's Underground I began to lose interest after the first 45 minutes. Watched it again a few months later and it became a favorite. I started watching Garrel's Le Révélateur after an exhausting day and I just couldn't even pay attention to the screen. Tried it again a month later or so and I liked it. Sometimes I just realize halfway through that I'm not in the mood for this kind of movie, sometimes I feel tired and bored for external reasons and the movie is not the most adequate stimulus, and sometimes the visual quality of the copy or the subs are just bad and I have to quit because it's actually affecting my enjoyment on the film.

I understand where this thread comes from, though, specially from the perspective that watching a movie is not that huge of a time investment. Yeah, you can better spend your two hours in something else you enjoy instead, but at the end of the day it's just two hours. It's not a weekly or daily investment as watching a series. I guess the main reason why I don't empathize much with this whole idea of "I can't waste my time with movies I don't like" is because I already waste a lot of time picking the ones I want to watch, so I don't go to the movie on a free trial mode but with a clear expectations and an idea of what I'm getting into.